PLEASE be careful out there

ry_1104

Marine Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,
I just wanted to tell everyone out there on a motorcycle to please be careful out there. Especially if you are in the military. Guys we have lost triple the the amount of military personell this compared to last year on motorcycles. I will get the amounts posted later. We just had another one die this weekend. He was wearing a short sleeve shirt and no helmet riding a R-1 doing around 115+mph. This is really sad we loose enough just in the fight for freedom, there is no need for us to loose this many people military or not this way. I hope everyone in this day and age is wearing the proper gear when riding. I know this post is based a little more towards the military side but, it also conserns everyone just in just the same way. I am also going to look up the motorcycle fatalities in the whole USA for this year and last year. When I get all the info I will post it under this. So again please everyone be CAREFUL out there.

-Ryan-

Ok here is what i could get:
-since the year 1975 to present there have been over 100,000 motorcycle fatalities
-in 2006 there were 4,576 fatalities alone
-in 2007 there was a 5.2% increase
-now in 2008 it has already tripled ( they wont give any numbers until 2009)
-and I was told that I am not allowed to release the numbers but i can say that it has tripled last years TOTAL and its only August

Last edited:

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It seems like too many of these fatalities are people doing something really dumb. I used to live in the Tampa Bay area before I moved to Virginia to take a job up here. Shortly before I left, there was another motorcycle fatality. It was at dusk(still mostly dark out). This guy is doing a pronounced wheelie at around 100mph. A dump truck pulls out in front of him because they did not see him(headlight pointing at the sky). Needless to say he was decapitated after slamming into that dump truck. :eek: I feel your compassion, but must also add to the PLEASE be careful - don't be crazy!

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv
I used to work at the U.S. Army Safety Center at Fort Rucker, AL. The department I was in, Web site development focused on Soldier safety, received weekly reports on the Soldiers that had died while driving their personal owned vehicles (POVs). A large majority of those were due to motorcycle accidents: accidents where the Soldier may have lived had he or she been wearing protective gear.

The weeks where the reports came in with zero loss were good weeks.

Definitely be safe out there. Wear the gear. Ride within your limits. Have fun.

X

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,
I just wanted to tell everyone out there on a motorcycle to please be careful out there. Especially if you are in the military. Guys we have lost triple the the amount of military personell this compared to last year on motorcycles. I will get the amounts posted later. We just had another one die this weekend. He was wearing a short sleeve shirt and no helmet riding a R-1 doing around 115+mph. This is really sad we loose enough just in the fight for freedom, there is no need for us to loose this many people military or not this way. I hope everyone in this day and age is wearing the proper gear when riding. I know this post is based a little more towards the military side but, it also conserns everyone just in just the same way. I am also going to look up the motorcycle fatalities in the whole USA for this year and last year. When I get all the info I will post it under this. So again please everyone be CAREFUL out there.

-Ryan-
Good post mate,
Thanks

Nelly

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
There was just an article in MCN in the UK about the MOD making a commercial to warn military personnel about the dangers of riding. That's not really news. What was funny was that he said, "Soldiers have a different perception of danger" (or something to that effect) and that's why they have more accidents.

ry_1104

Marine Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had to explain to my Chief that someone on a silver naked bike passing him on the freeway doing a wheelie does not mean that it was me. As soon as I told him I don't have a death wish, he understood. :D

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,
He was wearing a short sleeve shirt and no helmet riding a R-1 doing around 115+mph. This is really sad. I hope everyone in this day and age is wearing the proper gear when riding.

Yes it is sad but also not totally unexpected when people pull stunts like this unfortunate rider and disregard safety. It is not only military personell as we all know.

Motorcycling is a dangerous pastime and when we start to believe it is not then that is when accidents like this happen.

Steve

ry_1104

Marine Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey new UPDATE that I was cleared to release to you guys.
ok since Jan 2008 to now there have been 34 Marines killed in motorcycle accidents. NOT GOOD. This is only Marines which means this is not including the other services! There was a Marine a few days ago that hit a guard rail at 130+miles per hour on his R1 the picture was very graphic. He was separated into three pieces. I know thats graphic but, I think people need to hear it because now a days it seems to be the only way to get through to some people. I cant and wont post the picture because of the this. But, seriously we need to be more careful now a days there are to many people passing away without these wrecks. We dont need anyone else to become a statistic!!! So I will say again PLEASE be careful out there enjoy the ride.

W

wrightme43

See the thing is that most of us on here are the ones that interested in safety. The forums exert positive peer pressure about gear, and good riding.

We all do it for the ride though. Part of the attraction is the level of skill, and the level of risk. Probley the best way for the Marine to reduce this level is a older wiser sergent or peer group leader to take the new guys and put on a free practice riding session. Ride the cones, emergency stops, quick swerves, show off the skills and get people competing to increase the real skills needed for traffic. Have a Marine or Army or Navy or Airforce riders group that meets and applies peer pressure to be better safer skillfull riders that present a Marine perfection in the turns. No crossing the line, crisp turn in, exact braking. I know when I was in the Navy I wanted to fit in with the other guys. Maybe have a riding test and provide a Marine riders sticker. Its just a idea but if it could be fleshed out and put up the chain of command it might go somewhere. You would probley need a rider that is pretty well respected by command though. Maybe talk to Pete Hellgate about how to do it.

W

wrightme43

Basicly if someone can present a idea that has a good chance of cutting the number of down riders by 25% or more it will get traction. It costs a ton to train those guys, and they dont want to waste them. It effects the whole group when someone is lost.