Pilot Pure Review at 12,137 Miles

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Installed on Aug. 10 2010, here's what my tires look like 7 months later with 12,137 miles. I have repeatedly gotten over 16,000 miles on my Pilot Power 2CT's, so getting high mileage out of tires is nothing new to me.

I do not baby my tires, but I don't do burnouts. These tires have a lot of miles on the slab, but also have accumulated time up at Palomar Mountain, Banning Grade, Montezuma Valley Rd of Southern California right behind Cali Rider, PowellB and Wavex. Plus the interior grounds of British Columbia and all the way up to Alberta's Lake Louise. Plenty of time in the rain, zipping around the twisty Interstates of Montana during a torrential rainstorm. Lots of hard braking, stop n go traffic with pretty good acceleration from a start around here in Vegas. Zero two up riding, just solo. I weigh about 165lbs with riding gear.

Pictures of Rear Tire
PureRear.jpg

PureRear2.jpg

PureRear3.jpg

PureRear4.jpg

Pure Front Tire

PureFront.jpg

PureFront2.jpg

PureFront4.jpg

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Vegas,nice to know they last . I have a pure on the front of mine and commute through the hills everyday so I may not get that much out of it.
When I was working in town I used to get 16-18k km's out of my 2ct's.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for posting so much detail and all the pics. I don't know how you do it but i hate you!

How long do you plan to keep these (guessing) and what will you try next?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You got those when you were in up in Canada last year right?
Wow! :rockon:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for posting so much detail and all the pics. I don't know how you do it but i hate you!

How long do you plan to keep these (guessing) and what will you try next?

I plan on getting new tires around May or June so that they will be nice and fresh for the big Southern meets Northern California II in July.

I know you want me to try the Bridgestone's, but I am having a difficult time changing brands when I have had such great success with the Pilot Powers.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I plan on getting new tires around May or June so that they will be nice and fresh for the big Southern meets Northern California II in July.

So jealous of you guys... wish I could be there.

Nice work on the tires. Do you feel these are wearing faster, the same, or slower than your Pilot Powers? I am at >10k miles on my Pilot Road 2's with tons of tread left... thinking of sticking with the same.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats crazy! I could never get mileage like that out of tires. But then again I weigh almost twice what you do

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site

I know you want me to try the Bridgestone's, but I am having a difficult time changing brands when I have had such great success with the Pilot Powers.

:thumbup: Haha yup I'd love to see what you'd get out of them. I just picked up a set of Dunlop Q2 so we'll see how those go.

ckrockets

Reaction score
Visit site

I just stumbled across this thread looking for tire mileage info....

Dude! get your ass off the seat you are like a millimeter from wrecking right there...especially with running such a high air pressure in that rear tire...

38-40 psi maybe ok for getting those high miles you like but for tire grip it's damn right dangerous...from the pic i can see you can ride and you're not afraid to lean that thing over but you're out of lean angle right there...get your ass off the seat so the bike doesn't have lean as far to maintain the same corner speed....

sorry i've just seen to many people wreck cause they refused to move their butt off the seat...

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Probably not a true reflection as far as lean angle, picture is distorting it a bit. I have a centerstand and peg feelers and I don't recall scraping them. Haven't said it's never happened though, and I am not afraid to lean the bike over. Again, tire has great grip and you must have confidence in your riding abilities as well as the bike and tires. I've runned nothing but Michelins since replacing the stock.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I just stumbled across this thread looking for tire mileage info....

Dude! get your ass off the seat you are like a millimeter from wrecking right there...especially with running such a high air pressure in that rear tire...

38-40 psi maybe ok for getting those high miles you like but for tire grip it's damn right dangerous...from the pic i can see you can ride and you're not afraid to lean that thing over but you're out of lean angle right there...get your ass off the seat so the bike doesn't have lean as far to maintain the same corner speed....

sorry i've just seen to many people wreck cause they refused to move their butt off the seat...

Way to wake this thread up from the dead. Not to mention criticizing someone else's riding style when you came across this thread looking for answers about mileage (which you didn't even ask about). There is nothing dangerous about the way Kenny rides or the tire pressures he runs. And there is no need to get off the seat at public road speeds, unless you want to look like a boy racer wanna-be. If you've seen so many people wreck because they refused to move their butts off the seat, maybe they shouldn't have been riding so fast on public roads.

Kenny teaches the MSF course, so you should consider not criticizing his safety awareness since he's teaching several new riders how to ride safely every weekend.