Pilot pures retired after 16,053 miles

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Once again, it's time to review my last set of tires. After running on two sets of Michellin's Pilot Power & 2CT's, this time around it was the Michellin Pilot Pures.

Installed on the bike back in mid August 2010 up in Vancouver Washington, so not even 10 months, but managed to log over 16,000 miles. Didn't get as many miles as my Pilot Power 2CT's which was retired at 17,600 miles.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/tire-tech-talk/33171-2cts-17-616-miles-replaced-pilot-pures.html

This particular set experienced a lot of slab. Besides the every day grind of commuting here on the streets of Las Vegas, this set took me up through Oregon & Washington, the interior of British Columbia and up to Banff National Park in Alberta Canada. Plus parts of Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Arizona and of course California to hit the twisties.

Once again, just like my previous tires, my front has worn out. There is no sign of cupping, which is consistent with my previous set of Michellin's. Plenty of tread on the rear. Front was in bad shape, I took it as much as I could go. All one up riding, I weigh about 165lbs with gear.

Front Tire Pictures:

P1010373.jpg

P1010375.jpg

P1010364.jpg

P1010366.jpg

P1010367.jpg

Rear Tire:

P1010369.jpg

P1010370.jpg

P1010368.jpg

P1010371.jpg

What did I replace it with? Pures once again. I need maximum grip when it comes to the twisties, hey it's not easy keeping up with Cali Rider & Wavex Even though I will never push beyond my capabilities, I'm probably pushing 90% where they are probably not even close to that percentage. $350.00 OTD, including removal, install and balancing.

Last edited:

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Kenny, you gave up too soon on those skins...they have plenty of life left in them (even for you!). :BLAA:

I still don't know how you get so many miles out of your tires. :eek:

Thanks for the review and pics..

rkne_michael

Reaction score
Visit site
How do you manage to get so many miles out of your tires? I have the Pilot Road 3s and my rear is begining to become flat in the center at 5500 miles.
What psi do you run?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome that you get that kinda mileage out of those! I'd stick to the same tires too if I found a set that worked and lasted that long for me :thumbup:

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know how you do it Kenny, but keep up the good work! While the front looks like it's starting to have cracks in it, the rear actually still looks pretty decent. But given the amount of miles you've gotten out of these, it's not like you're losing money by changing them a bit "early". :Flip:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't understand how 16,000 on those is possible...they look like they still have life left!

Are the roads you ride made out of silk? The only possible explanation is road surface. Even dual compound tires on easy commute miles won't last more than about 6,000 miles where I ride...

What kind of road surfaces do you mostly ride on? 95% of what I ride is rough, newer asphalt surfaces which are quite rough on tires. The edges of my BT016's looks like I've been to a track (pitted, rough, rubber beads) and I don't even ride that hard....has to be road surface.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't understand how 16,000 on those is possible...they look like they still have life left!

Are the roads you ride made out of silk? The only possible explanation is road surface. Even dual compound tires on easy commute miles won't last more than about 6,000 miles where I ride...

What kind of road surfaces do you mostly ride on? 95% of what I ride is rough, newer asphalt surfaces which are quite rough on tires. The edges of my BT016's looks like I've been to a track (pitted, rough, rubber beads) and I don't even ride that hard....has to be road surface.

Quoted from my beginning post:

This particular set experienced a lot of slab. Besides the every day grind of commuting here on the streets of Las Vegas, this set took me up through Oregon & Washington, the interior of British Columbia and up to Banff National Park in Alberta Canada. Plus parts of Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Arizona and of course California to hit the twisties.

Just shows that the post about the Pilot Road 3's failing at 10,000, not being able to get that many miles out of a tire is a bunch of BS. I have managed to get a minimum of 16,000 out of every set of Michelin's I've owned. If I had the Pilot Roads, which has a harder compound, I wouldn't be surprised if I got over 20,000 miles. I honestly believe I could have gotten 20k on my rear Pures. But that front tire was shot, I just replaced both.

Somebody did mention on my local forum that the Pilot Road 3's are not designed for hot weather. Kind of interesting.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Quoted from my beginning post:

Just shows that the post about the Pilot Road 3's failing at 10,000, not being able to get that many miles out of a tire is a bunch of BS. I have managed to get a minimum of 16,000 out of every set of Michelin's I've owned. If I had the Pilot Roads, which has a harder compound, I wouldn't be surprised if I got over 20,000 miles. I honestly believe I could have gotten 20k on my rear Pures. But that front tire was shot, I just replaced both.

Somebody did mention on my local forum that the Pilot Road 3's are not designed for hot weather. Kind of interesting.

So what is your trick? I would be happy to get 10,000 miles out of any tire on my bike!

You are about the same rider weight as me (145lb or 165lb with gear).
What tire pressures do you run front and back? I keep my rear at 34 and front at 32 psi. I've got maybe a couple thousand more miles left on my BT-016's but I have never got better than 6,000 miles out of a rear tire or 7,000 out of a front.

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i just saw this thread im planning on buying a set of the pilot pures bc from what ive read so far they're 2 lbs lighter, faster warm up time and make quicker turn in's... i am a very spirited rider and i have the pilot road 2 2ct with a little more than 12,000 miles on them and still have A LOT more life left. The front tire is showing a little wearing in the center from long highway miles...

how are the pures in the rain/ damp conditions??:confused:
also im planning to do a track day soon n i heard they're pretty good for beginners

soupflakes

Reaction score
Visit site
I dunno guys how you do this. And tires never last even close to that long, I got 8500 on my set of battleaxes, never did a burnout or flat spotted my tires, ever. And this is what it looked like.

549323_3459410858410_1665072314_2754039_659998793_n.jpg

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
16k, your rear still has tread, and your front wore faster? That is madness.

I go through 2 rears for every 1 front - and bank 8 - 12k per rear, if I'm lucky.

You must have some smooth shifting skills with no highway commute.

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I go through 2 rears for every 1 front - and bank 8 - 12k per rear, if I'm lucky.

lol i dont do a lot of highway unless im planning a long trip...im always hitting up the twisties about 600-1000 miles every month :rockon:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow!!! I've never seen or ever herd of a front wearing out before the rear!!! And hell judging by your pics it looks like you could easily get another 6k out of the rear!!! When you do your commuting how do you accelerate? Would you say you are very conservative accelerating or what?

I would live to know what your secret is so I can try to get more miles out of my rear. And thanks for the post!!!

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site

oops didnt know you were talking about vegas rider's tires

i have the same problem with the pilot road 2's the front is wearing faster than the rear... in my front tire the center part is the problem. if i am correct the reason why is bc we should have a good amount of chicken strips in the front... if not you're riding with poor body positioning..in the rear im chewing up the sides a lot and hitting the michelin man's hand and head but the center has a decent tread.