Picking up an '08 this Saturday...

ag_streak

Reaction score
Visit site
... with 200 miles! :rockon:

YES. 200 miles. I young guy bought it as his first bike in Kansas City intending to commute. He changed jobs and moved to Florida, and stuck the bike in his dad's garage.

It looks like new. Chain was lubed the whole time, starts and runs perfect (not sure if he used fuel stabilizer), no dry rot on the tires, and the battery is fine (but I'll change it anyway), no surface corrosion. He says he changed all the fluids a couple months ago just because it sat so long.

Can anyone suggest anything else to consider? Thanks!

6969922106_8b377a258c_b.jpg

6969922256_863b4edf42_b.jpg

6969922180_02bf37a9bc_b.jpg

Last edited:

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Ha... I put 200 on mine with in the first 3 days (bought used with 9.5k... also a 08 cobalt blue). Looks like it may have had a left side drop. Ask about this - go over every detail on that side.

Ben_H

Reaction score
Visit site
welcome and good luck with the bike. just check the inside of tank for rust. there has been a few members that had this problem. i also put 200 miles on mine the first day and within 4 days had done the first oil change bought mine new in 2008

czarmar

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, the left side case cover looks a little dinged up. I just bought an '07 with 1600 miles last Sunday. About 4 years ago I had an '06 for a week before I decided I wanted to try an '05 R1. Great bike for the last 4 years, but since then, I've gotten married, don't go that fast anymore, and need something that can reasonably do two up. So I parted ways with the R1 on Saturday for $6500, bought the low miled FZ6 on Sunday for $4500.

My FZ6 also has been down on the right side, but with frame sliders. It caught the corner of the fairing pretty good, so as soon as I got home I was pricing out a new upper fairing for $350 or so before I realized they changed the bodywork for '07, and the only damage is to the little headlight moles which only cost ~$60. How cool is that?

I'll live with the minor scrape to the bar end and brake lever, although if I replace those, the bike is perfect.

At this kind of mileage on my bike, I plan to immediately replace the oil and flush out the brake fluid, as I doubt any service has been done since the 600 mile break-in service.

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd chenge the tires. They're 5 years old. Doesn't matter it they only have 200 miles on them. You ever notice when you go to the tire store the rubber smell when you walk in the door. That's chemicals evaporating from the tires and after years tire will get hard. Not a good thing on a motorcycle.

ag_streak

Reaction score
Visit site
Is this your first bike?

:BLAA: Ha. Now that's funny! :thumbup:

It's my 25th. I've been riding streetbikes for 32 years. I just sold my second VFR800, and I have a Sportster and a DR650 in the garage. I've had two FJR1300s, two V-Stroms, two FZ-1s, and three DR650s, along with a Nighthawk, a Bandit 1250, a YZF600, a KLR650, um... I can't even keep track! I've got a list somwhere.

My problem is I have B.A.D.D. - Bike Attention Deficit Disorder! I think I enjoy buying and selling them as much as I like owning them, maybe more. I want one of each before I die!

Isn't it an awesome feeling picking up a bike.

YES!!! :rockon: It never gets old!

Ruggybuggy, that's a good point. I should change the tires. They don't seem hard or dry, but they must have aged... Thanks!

ag_streak

Reaction score
Visit site
You guys have good eyes! Yes, it did have a left side drop.

The PO was very upfront about it, almost apologetic. Absolutely zero plastic damage save for the front turn signal. I'm not concerned at all, but thanks!

badweatherbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on the bike Ag, aren't you over on Advrider?
Heck I would have traded my FZ for your DR650!
hit me up if your in North Florida I have an 04

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to this great forum! :D
Very nice FZ6! You have even done break in yet!

ag_streak

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on the bike Ag, aren't you over on Advrider?
Heck I would have traded my FZ for your DR650!
hit me up if your in North Florida I have an 04

You betcha. :thumbup:

Nah, I'm keeping the DR. Just put new skins on her, Michelin T63s. Going riding Sunday in Richloam with a couple of guys from DDS (Dixie Dual Sports). Can't wait to ride with some real traction in the sand!

:D

ag_streak

Reaction score
Visit site
I got her!! :thumbup:

Only did about 50 or 60 miles today. I didn't have a bunch of time. But I LOVE this bike! I'm going to deck her out for sport touring with a Cee Baileys screen and Givi bags, probably V35s. Let the farkling begin! Woo-hoo! :rockon:

The PO told me he had it lowered and the dealer who did it gave him a piece of the rear suspension, but I viewed the fiche on Bike Bandit and spoke to two dealers today, and none of us can figure out what may have been removed to lower the bike.

I just put the rear spring preload to "7" and dropped the forks to the stock height in the triples. Haven't had a chance to ride it since changing the forks. I want to see if I can tell any difference.

7122850661_cb8b5f37ee_b.jpg

6976769024_0140c19095_b.jpg

Last edited:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, some people lower the block underneath the spring. It's not numbered on that fiche. The part that the bolt on the bottom goes through is shortened.

Some people go a different route and put shorter springs in. Like me.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Score!

First thing I'd do is throw some frame sliders on there for sure! Gear if you don't have any.

From there its all preference, throw some pipes and a FE on there maybe if you'd like. I swapped my signals cos I felt the OEM ones looked like big orange eyesores. Maybe a tank pad so you don't scratch the tank with your belt buckle or anything.

Good luck man you're gonna love it, I'm sure :rockon: