Physical mechanics of riding

derek533

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 6'0 with 34" inseam and size 12 feet. When I'm riding, it's darn near physically impossible for me to downshift while keeping my heal on the peg so I have to actually lift my foot off the peg to downshift. Same thing for braking as well although to a lesser degree.

Those of you that are tall, do you ride the same way or are you able to flex your feet that much despite your legs being more at an angle?

Just curious

ltdillard

commutaholic
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm just about the same size as you. I can downshift and brake without lifting heels, but it isn't the easiest thing. I probably lift my heel about half the time.

What kind of boots do you have? I have some Icon Super-duty that are not too clunky in the toe area. Also, have you tried adjusting the levers any? I tried on the brake, and just one notch made a huge difference.

92Bit

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm about 6'3" and maybe 1 size up shoes and I have minimal issues. It isn't the most comfortable motorcycle I've ridden in the area of foot lever operation, but I make due while keeping my heels on the pegs. Like ltdillard said perhaps adjustments can solve your problems.:thumbup:

On another note, do you have any problems operating the rear brake without locking it up under hard braking? I would probably end up putting to much pressure on the lever if my heel wasn't on the peg.:eek:

RideFz6Style

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 6'0 with 34" inseam and size 12 feet. When I'm riding, it's darn near physically impossible for me to downshift while keeping my heal on the peg so I have to actually lift my foot off the peg to downshift. Same thing for braking as well although to a lesser degree.

Those of you that are tall, do you ride the same way or are you able to flex your feet that much despite your legs being more at an angle?

Just curious

I'm 6'6" size 15 shoes haha. I changed the angle of both levers and it helped a lot! Don't have to lift leg anymore so try that out!:thumbup:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I am 6'2, 34" inseam, size 12.5 shoes and i brake and shift without putting my heel on the peg.
I just slide my foot forward, going from resting on the ball, to having the heel block against the peg and it gives me enough reach.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
one useful thing I found out from the Motovudu DVD was that your whole foot doesn't need to be on the pedal in order to shift up or down. I often change gear now without my heel on the pedal.

derek533

Reaction score
Visit site
Good. Looks like I'm not the only one then.

How would I go about changing the angle of the levers? Just a vice and a little human pressure?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good. Looks like I'm not the only one then.

How would I go about changing the angle of the levers? Just a vice and a little human pressure?

NOOOO!! Do not bend the levers. Look at owner's manual. Angles can be adjusted by turning the shifter shaft. (Never done it on brake side, but I know that can be adjusted too).

derek533

Reaction score
Visit site
NOOOO!! Do not bend the levers. Look at owner's manual. Angles can be adjusted by turning the shifter shaft. (Never done it on brake side, but I know that can be adjusted too).

Thanks. Was kidding about the vice and pressure. The jury rigger in me was trying to come out. :D

There's nothing duct tape and a hammer can't fix IMO. LOL.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks. Was kidding about the vice and pressure. The jury rigger in me was trying to come out. :D

There's nothing duct tape and a hammer can't fix IMO. LOL.

You and my wife both! Though she's more of a "duct tape and zip ties" kind of lady :rolleyes: :rof:

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like my wife. When we were dating, she said her car was making a "funny noise". I opened the hood and virtually every hose had duct tape on it. *sigh* But I still married her and we just celebrated our 31st.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Why don't you all send your seat off and have a couple inches added to it? It will require new fabric but you would fit your bike. One option is Spencers in Florida... They are on the web with a little search.

Now add some bar risers, adjust the lower levers within the constraints of design and lastly, adjust the upper levers such that when you're in your riding position, your wrists are parallel to your fingers when activating the levers.

I'm not near as tall as you guys and I rotated my levers DOWNWARD a good bit so as to draw a straight line from my shoulders, through my forearms, and down to my hands.

In short: If you have a long torso and have NOT rotated the levers from stock location, you're likely pinching your nerves and killing blood flow to you hands as YOU HAVE TO REACH UP to activate the clutch and brake.

Give it some thought. Email the guy a picture of you on the bike and he'll build the seat to make you fit the bike!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Why don't you all send your seat off and have a couple inches added to it? It will require new fabric but you would fit your bike. One option is Spencers in Florida... They are on the web with a little search.

Now add some bar risers, adjust the lower levers within the constraints of design and lastly, adjust the upper levers such that when you're in your riding position, your wrists are parallel to your fingers when activating the levers.

I'm not near as tall as you guys and I rotated my levers DOWNWARD a good bit so as to draw a straight line from my shoulders, through my forearms, and down to my hands.

In short: If you have a long torso and have NOT rotated the levers from stock location, you're likely pinching your nerves and killing blood flow to you hands as YOU HAVE TO REACH UP to activate the clutch and brake.

Give it some thought. Email the guy a picture of you on the bike and he'll build the seat to make you fit the bike!

Excellent advice and a big +1 to lever position. I learned this many years ago from mountain biking. Basically, sit on the bike in normal riding position; put your hand on the grip, but keep your fingers straight. Your wrist should not have any bend in it and your fingers should be resting on the lever now.
If your wrist is bent in this position, it should be easy enough to figure out if your levers need to be rotated up or down.

RideFz6Style

Reaction score
Visit site

Yes PLEASE don't do that! On mine it was just loosening a bolt and pulling the lever off, and re-seating at the lower angle you desire.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site

Spencer won't add material to make a seat taller. He will only make the seat lower or the same height.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using tapatalk HD