Photography Thread !!!

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great pictures guys!! Can't believe it's been almost 2 years since my China trip photos post earlier in this thread.

Here are some of my collections of 2011.

Lightning over Vegas
110704-Las-Vagas-102-L.jpg

110704-Las-Vagas-103-L.jpg

Amazing photos mellow :thumbup: My goal this storm season is to score my first lighnting pics , now all we need is a storm :rolleyes:... What shutter speed do you use in these 2 pics ??

mellofelow

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Daniel. OK, here's the trick to shoot lightning.

I had the setting in manual for iso 100, F5.6 and 4 seconds exposure. Once you notice an area of lightning activity, keep shooting over and over. Easiest way is to use an intervalometer... as if you're doing time lapse photography. I took literally hundreds of empty shots over 45 minutes and caught only 4 light rods. Luckily, memory card usage is free... unlike film days.

Another trick is keeping the lens free from rain drops. I had a few shots ruined from it. Lastly, you MUST have a steady, heavy duty tripod. Strong winds will likely affect long exposure shots.

Good luck!

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
i haven't touched my camera in a few years, the long exposure shots are not easy, i had a 12 sec. exposure to get a really great pic of the moon one time, took about 10 tries to do it with out it being blurry but i got it. beautiful lightning tho

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Humpy has been playing with Photoshop again :D Only this time I have a question.......... Can anybody tell me how I can darken the bright grass in the bottom LH corner & the brightness of the RH wing by themselves :confused: :confused: I cant figure out how to do it :(

IMG_5607_wm.jpg

mellofelow

Reaction score
Visit site
Humpy has been playing with Photoshop again :D Only this time I have a question.......... Can anybody tell me how I can darken the bright grass in the bottom LH corner & the brightness of the RH wing by themselves :confused: :confused: I cant figure out how to do it :(

Nice shot Humpy... I don't use photoshop much but my suggestion is to do yourself a favor and get Adobe's Lightroom. It's pretty much all I use. What you wanted to do takes only seconds with a tool called graduated filter in Lightroom.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice shot Humpy... I don't use photoshop much but my suggestion is to do yourself a favor and get Adobe's Lightroom. It's pretty much all I use. What you wanted to do takes only seconds with a tool called graduated filter in Lightroom.

Thanks mate , i'll look into Lightroom :thumbup: I think thats the program my son uses....

mellofelow

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sure many of you have heard the news... but for myself, grew up with the phrase, 'Kodak Moment' means something memorable. Let's hope they survive this and continue the name.

Photography pioneer Kodak files for bankruptcy | Reuters

Just imagine, they actually invented the first digital camera in mid '70s. They were way ahead of its time but never executed the concept.:banghead: :shakehead: :banghead:

bryanwny

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a couple car shots that I took last summer, but it was 95+ and the sun was beating down and making it rather difficult to get shots without a ton of glare/reflections/blowouts. Plus I was sweating my boys off. haha. I wasn't happy with most of the original pics, so I ran them through a Photoshop plugin and gave them this weird effect. Ignore my crappy 30 second yellow-out of the guys plate number too lol

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a couple car shots that I took last summer, but it was 95+ and the sun was beating down and making it rather difficult to get shots without a ton of glare/reflections/blowouts. Plus I was sweating my boys off. haha. I wasn't happy with most of the original pics, so I ran them through a Photoshop plugin and gave them this weird effect. Ignore my crappy 30 second yellow-out of the guys plate number too lol

I like that effect on old cars , its similar to what I did to mine :thumbup: Looks terrible on new stuff but with Classics it looks great :D