Philips Motovision bulbs

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
yeah I have one in my naked headlight, supposed to be 80% brighter, don't know about that but I do know it is better than stock.
Motovision is supposed to be a more robust filament to account for nore m/cycle vibes.
There are two type one is orange tint which appaently will become a worldwide standard for m/cycle headlights and the other is bluish and brighter(the 80%)
when I changed I was worried about heat but a few here on the forum allayed my concerns and I havent looked back
cheers

Last edited:

sparkycrew

Reaction score
Visit site
i run a phillips bulb,standard wattage 55/60 but ultra bright white,much better and my mates have commented how bright is/was,yeah dip beam has blown got another on order though
nick

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
I have one. It looks neat from a distance, but that's about it. It certainly is not 80% brighter. It's more like a typical +10 bulb. Better than stock yes, but not a huge difference. Examining the bulb reveals that they did use a thinner, more tightly wound filament, and a slightly smaller capsule, which will result in more output, but I believe this is negated by the coating. I also don't care for their lack of actual specs on the bulb, such as life expectancy. So far I've only got about 30 hours on it, so time will tell.

If it lasts over 150 hours, I'll consider it a decent buy, just for the cool orange/reddish hue alone, which I must admit looks REALLY frickin' cool. lol For the price however, they could throw out some more lumens, but of course they wouldn't last long, so it's always a trade off.

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah i use them i have two one h4 and 1 h7. they are a bit better than stock and they illuminate the road well but it s not the wow factor you would expect. the bulbs on my bike are over two years old so i consider them a good investment (ok the bike is used only in weekends)

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sure, they give a bit better light - but why play around with filament bulbs?

Go HID and your lighting woes will be a thing of the past! (55w, I don't think the 35W are as good)

The cost of a kit/kits will be a cheap enough - and the bulbs last significantly longer (especially on a bike) due to the arc.

My thoughts anyway. (I've put HIDs in nearly everything me and my family have driven for the past 5+ years)

Cheers,
Rick

sloring

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
i run a phillips bulb,standard wattage 55/60 but ultra bright white,much better and my mates have commented how bright is/was,yeah dip beam has blown got another on order though
nick

I think they don't last too long...my H4 low beam filament blew after 2 months.

killertofu9

Reaction score
Visit site
Sure, they give a bit better light - but why play around with filament bulbs?

Go HID and your lighting woes will be a thing of the past! (55w, I don't think the 35W are as good)

The cost of a kit/kits will be a cheap enough - and the bulbs last significantly longer (especially on a bike) due to the arc.

My thoughts anyway. (I've put HIDs in nearly everything me and my family have driven for the past 5+ years)

Cheers,
Rick

I hope youre referring to retrofit kits. I love hids, done right. I retrofit projectors in my last car and two of my friends vehicles. My truck is next, the bike might get them as a next winter project. But I will never but hid bulbs in a reflector housing. I want to be seen and see better, not blind others.

They do seem brighter and throw the beam farther. They areadvertised as 40% brighter with a 50ft increase to distance. I dont see the orange "glow" however no matter what angle/distance I stand @ but I do see it when I see the reflection of my head lights in mirrors or the back end of cars ahead of me. Much whiter light though than stock. See how long they last.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I hope youre referring to retrofit kits

Retrofit HID kit, as opposed to HID projector kit?

But I will never put hid bulbs in a reflector housing. I want to be seen and see better, not blind others.

I have done (literally) dozens of HID installs, and as long as you aim the beams down a bit (HIDs have a tendency to shoot high) then there really is no reason not to install HIDs in a reflector housing.

You DO need to make sure the reflector is UV stable, and you DO have to use the shield that comes with the H4 HID bulb, but otherwise I've had no complaints.

All a reflector does is reflect - as long at the light source (filament or arc) is in the same place, the reflector will reflect light the same way, in the same direction.

Maybe there is a difference with whatever HID kits are available in the states, but I've never had a problem.

Cheers,
Rick

killertofu9

Reaction score
Visit site
Retrofit HID kit, as opposed to HID projector kit?

I have done (literally) dozens of HID installs, and as long as you aim the beams down a bit (HIDs have a tendency to shoot high) then there really is no reason not to install HIDs in a reflector housing.

You DO need to make sure the reflector is UV stable, and you DO have to use the shield that comes with the H4 HID bulb, but otherwise I've had no complaints.

All a reflector does is reflect - as long at the light source (filament or arc) is in the same place, the reflector will reflect light the same way, in the same direction.

Maybe there is a difference with whatever HID kits are available in the states, but I've never had a problem.

Cheers,
Rick

Gotcha, no difference, referring to the same kits, was condemning people who just put hid bulbs into halogen reflectors with no projector lense, shield or aiming and just throw blinding light everywhere.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
HID's are nice and all, and don't glare much at all in the FZ, but what about the high beam? You'll need a "Bi-Xenon" projector for that, which is hardly drop in. Worth it in my opinion, but still a pain and not cheap.

I've got a cheap HID drop in for my low beam, and it's surprising lacking in glare. Way better than my last car that I did, where I turned them on after installing, adjusted them, then promptly removed them as there was massive glare. And by glare, I mean GLARE, not the look-directly-at-my-lights-and-complain-they're-too-bright "glare". :rolleyes: