Petrol prices

B

bluenova

The war isn't as much to blame as the government. Tax is the biggest reason our fuel prices are soooo high. They seem to think we should all use public transport. At 30 quid plus ($60) to get into London and back from on the train where I live 50 miles away they can foxtrot oscar. I'll take the bike thanks even though I have to let the state shaft me up the a$$ in fuel tax (and purchase tax, and road tax, and VAT on the fuel tax)

Although the fuel is almost as expensive over here, one good thing is the government (lol, well when there was a government they) realise that bikes cut down congestion. Belgium is a tiny country with 10 million people living here, and my commute takes 1 & 1/2 hrs to do 21km by car, on the bike it takes just 30 minutes filtering through the traffic. For this reason everything you buy for your bike, from the bike itself to clothes, to services to fuel you can claim almost all of the tax back in the following year. :D

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Although the fuel is almost as expensive over here, one good thing is the government (lol, well when there was a government they) realise that bikes cut down congestion. Belgium is a tiny country with 10 million people living here, and my commute takes 1 & 1/2 hrs to do 21km by car, on the bike it takes just 30 minutes filtering through the traffic. For this reason everything you buy for your bike, from the bike itself to clothes, to services to fuel you can claim almost all of the tax back in the following year. :D

now there is a good system, other than the $7.00 gallon gas.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Wow that's amazing, and I thought holland was motorbike friendly, but we don't get the sort of perks you're talking about.
Here they have recently introduced rules for filtering through the traffic, which actually means a cager is at fault if he makes an unexpected manouver without checking his mirrors for motorbikes, or opening his door etc.
But we definately don't get any tax relief.

H

HavBlue

Wow that's amazing, and I thought holland was motorbike friendly, but we don't get the sort of perks you're talking about.
Here they have recently introduced rules for filtering through the traffic, which actually means a cager is at fault if he makes an unexpected manouver without checking his mirrors for motorbikes, or opening his door etc.
But we definately don't get any tax relief.

In California splitting is permissible (not legal) and outside there, were are stuck in traffic waiting to be a sandwich. You folks got it made...

H

HavBlue

Excellent. Does that count at 70mph filtering through the dickheads doing 60mph on the motorway:Flash:

The problem with it only being permissible is when you are doing it and get hit the liability is typically yours meaning you are at fault. It is generally accepted that while splitting anything more than roughly 15mph to the flow of traffic can get you a ticket. It really boils down to the safety factor. If you are doing it in an unsafe manner you can be cited. No state wants to make it legal due to the liability issues. This would be like saying you are right for going down the gap and nobody wants to say yes to allowing it. The State of New Jersey is currently running field studies on splitting. Texas and Washington didn't pass the last time out. Too many people that don't ride making laws for those that do.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
In Bowling Green there is a station that sells 110 octane for like $6.00 per gallon. It happens to be near the Beach Bend racing facility.

that sounds very unusual...not disputing the fact that your store sells fuel with this high octane but from my understanding this is not for use in ordinary engines.

The only fuel that can exceed an octane of 100 (which is the highest octane value according to its definition) are:

iso-octane 100
benzene 101
E85 Ethanol 105
Methane 107
Ethane 108
Methanol 113
Toluene 114
Ethanol 116
Xylene 117

As you can see...the fuel mentioned above, apart from iso-octane, are all very unusual to find in a petrol station...so which one does your petrol station sell havblue and would this fuel just be for the track next door?

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
98 octane! Is that rocket fuel?

I know its been answered already but this is one of only two types of fuel found here in Ireland and in the EU. I've only known about leaded fuel which was about 87 octane (that is now illegal because its a threat to the environment), and all we have remaining in ireland are the Unleaded fuels with octane 95 (normal fuel) and octane 98 (super unleaded fuel).

We should all know that the higher the number the better it is for our bikes and engines. It will reduce the knocking effect in the engine.

So what fuel do you guys put into your engines?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know its been answered already but this is one of only two types of fuel found here in Ireland and in the EU. I've only known about leaded fuel which was about 87 octane (that is now illegal because its a threat to the environment), and all we have remaining in ireland are the Unleaded fuels with octane 95 (normal fuel) and octane 98 (super unleaded fuel).

We should all know that the higher the number the better it is for our bikes and engines. It will reduce the knocking effect in the engine.

So what fuel do you guys put into your engines?

that is only true to a point, the higher the octane the hotter it burns which means that it burns cleaner and there is less emissions and residue left in the engine. The higher octane fuels such as the 110 that was mentioned actually burns too hot for stock engine components and will start to melt valves and other internal parts if it is run in an engine that is not built for it. many modern engines are made to be run on the lower (87 Octane) fuels and there is not much of a difference in performance or cleanliness.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
that is only true to a point, the higher the octane the hotter it burns which means that it burns cleaner and there is less emissions and residue left in the engine. The higher octane fuels such as the 110 that was mentioned actually burns too hot for stock engine components and will start to melt valves and other internal parts if it is run in an engine that is not built for it. many modern engines are made to be run on the lower (87 Octane) fuels and there is not much of a difference in performance or cleanliness.

Ah alright! :) So if i were to put 110 octane into my bike I better be expecting some high engine temperatures?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ah alright! :) So if i were to put 110 octane into my bike I better be expecting some high engine temperatures?

Followed shortly by some funny sounds.

I bet it would run like a raped ape for a little while...

I know of some people that used to fill 3/4 tank regular 94 octane and 1/4 106 octane and used to swear by it but i never saw the point in risking the engine..

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent. Does that count at 70mph filtering through the dickheads doing 60mph on the motorway:Flash:

Hav blue has pretty much hit the nail on the head, the rules stipulate (among other things) that you cannot excede 10Km/h more than the cager you are passing, and you cannot pass traffic at anything higher than 50Km/h. It is your responsibility to check you have enough room, but it is the cars responsibility not to drastically alter coarse without checking their mirrors.
These rules have also been used to convict cagers in holland for reckless driving. There is also a public awareness campaign telling the cagers to stay in the middle of their lane, and telling the motorbike riders how to safely pass cars without causing irritation.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The problem with it only being permissible is when you are doing it and get hit the liability is typically yours meaning you are at fault. It is generally accepted that while splitting anything more than roughly 15mph to the flow of traffic can get you a ticket. It really boils down to the safety factor. If you are doing it in an unsafe manner you can be cited. No state wants to make it legal due to the liability issues. This would be like saying you are right for going down the gap and nobody wants to say yes to allowing it. The State of New Jersey is currently running field studies on splitting. Texas and Washington didn't pass the last time out. Too many people that don't ride making laws for those that do.

The Dutch rules started as a code back in 2002, since then they have slowly become more used, recently, the past two years there has been steadily more incidents of these rules being used in a court of law. So who knows maybe it'll work the same way in your state, "permissable " could be the begining of something more.:thumbup:

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
The average prices in Southern Finland are
95E: 1,329 €/litre
98E: 1,365 €/litre
Di: 1,134 €/litre, which makes

95E: 7,093 USD/gallon
98E: 7,286 USD/gallon
Di: 6,053 USD/gallon.

(The highest price for 95E is 7,627 USD/gallon :eek: )

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
Holy crap!
$2.95 for the mid grade here in Tampa/St Pete. Need to fill up on my way home this morning. I can usualy get away from the pump for less than $10 if I dont go to far into the reserve (like I am now).