Pants? What is the best?

Hoosier4444

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been looking into getting some riding pants. I've asked around and nobody I've talked to has much to say about what you want. I'm looking at some TourMaster tracker air pants, but I really haven no reason other than my jacket is Tourmaster and I love it. I do most short range touring rides < 5 hours and commuting to work. I'm just wondering what sort of things I should be considering. I've been happy wearing jeans, but only because I've been fortunate enough not to crash.

I've been looking into getting some riding pants. I've asked around and nobody I've talked to has much to say about what you want. I'm looking at some TourMaster tracker air pants, but I really haven no reason other than my jacket is Tourmaster and I love it. I do most short range touring rides < 5 hours and commuting to work. I'm just wondering what sort of things I should be considering. I've been happy wearing jeans, but only because I've been fortunate enough not to crash.

I just posted this on another thread. I just bought the Star all weather pants from the local Yamaha stealership for $70. They are a great overpant and are waterproof with removable insulated liner. Have the pading you need and will got over whatever you want to wear as regular pants or shorts. recommend going one size larger to give your actual outfit some room so you're still comfortable and stay away from the bunched up feeling. I am personall a 34 almost down to a 32 waist and I went with the 36's. Fit great

Cycle gear has their own BiLt line of kevlar lined riding jeans now. I bought a pair and i really like them. I had to take out the foam CE armor and put cup shaped hard armor in it for comfort though. The foam would flatten and cause the pants to bunch up and get tight around the back of the knees. I also went up a size because if i had anything other then a credit card in my pockets sitting on the bike would cause what ever it is to be pressed against my leg.

Still debating on going back and trying my actual size with the hard knee pads to see if they are comfy. I like cycle gear because i can return things easily :)

I'm of the school that "none is always the best" - thus I own a pair of Leather A*s for spirited riding, a pair of A*s over pants when I don't want to walk around looking like a power ranger and a pair of Joe Rocket mesh pants for when it's too damn hot out. I've been tempted repeatedly by the reinforced "jeans" as I like the idea of looking "normal" when I go places. Then again, depending on where you're going, there's something to be said for the track pants...

I have a pair of Tourmaster Flex. Never had the zip-out panels out, just not comfortable with mesh. If you are like me and don't trust mesh, don't get ones with removable panels - it only adds bulk to the jeans.

They have held up fairly well. They are NOT waterproof, but do come with a waterproof liner. They block about 60% of the water and let it seep through around the crotch (as many pants will).

The only complaint I have is that the zippers get jammed up a little easily if you aren't careful. However, if you just go through a little extra effort to keep the tension off the zippers when you zip up and down, everything works out just fine.

So I'd give them an A-. Got them cheap, though!

Edit: I wear them as overpants, but during the hot summer months, I just wear my shorts. They get fairly hot if it's 85+ (F, obviously). But with shorts on underneath, they feel actually pretty decent.

Back