Painting - Am I Crazy or Not...

jsmileybaltz

Member Me?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Mod'ers -

I wanted to see if anyone has tried to paint various/any bike parts with a Wagner Airless Paint Gun before. I know it spatters out at times, but I think that could be an easy fix (re-sanding - re-painting) and would help to conserve some cash.

Anyone have some thoughts on this...experience...guidance? I've read the Sticky about painting with a can - just wanted to take it to another level.

Thanks for your feedback!

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes you are crazy. Is this a new gun? I am not sure but most house paint is latex and auto paint is not so mixing the two in the gun may be bad.

What are you trying to paint? The whole bike? May be better off with a hobby store air gun (for small parts) and going from there. I hope you have a lot of patience....

jsmileybaltz

Member Me?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes you are crazy. Is this a new gun? I am not sure but most house paint is latex and auto paint is not so mixing the two in the gun may be bad.

What are you trying to paint? The whole bike? May be better off with a hobby store air gun (for small parts) and going from there. I hope you have a lot of patience....

New gun, yes. I didn't think about mixing paint - just don't know what to expect from 'can spaying' parts. I found cracks on my rear seat handle and front fender after cleaning. I'm looking to see what suggestions I can gather from trying this on my own.

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That airless unit will not atomize the paint enough to give you decent results.....spray bombs ( cans ) is a far better way to go if your on a buget...remember prep.is very important...

Mixing paint types is not all that important so long as you do a decent job cleaning after you are done with your painting job, but I found above to be an issue when you are looking for nice paint job with the airless guns. But again it was cheap version of the Wagner so they may be much better now. Small hobby gun will give you nice results, but you have to be very patient with your painting.

P

Perfj

Can anyone recommend a brand of paint suitable for painting rear hugger etc.

jsmileybaltz

Member Me?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That airless unit will not atomize the paint enough to give you decent results.....spray bombs ( cans ) is a far better way to go if your on a buget...remember prep.is very important...

I was thinking the cans were the best on my budget, but was unsure about how the quality/outcome will be. This is my b/w riding season project - still getting good weather here in Nashville, TN!!

Thanks and I'll post some pics when the project manifests...

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, I think you're crazy too.

Leave it to a professional. Sometimes jobs like this always look as though they have been done at home.