Not an Fz1, Not an R1200c, but I am happy with my decision

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Let me start with this, this bike surpassed my expectations. I have been test riding bike after bike to figure out what I wanted. I came across a pretty good deal on this Road Star Silverado. I paid $4700 for it with 6500 miles. The bike looked like it was brand new. This guy must of polished it day after day. He also paid around $1000 in accessories(no engine mods).

I did test ride a few FZ1s and the 06 response on the throttle was quite different than my 04 Fz6 so that kind of steered me away from it. Than I test rode one at the dealership, but it was way out of my price range. Then I test rode the R1200C BMW, which I still think is a great bike. There were a couple other bikes here an there, but ultimately I test rode the silverado was the power I wanted for the Wife and I. We want to comfortably ride together on longer rides. I don't ride solo that much, so I wanted something that would do that.

My thoughts on the bike.

The bike is heavy 710lbs dry weight, but not hard to handle. I ride it like a sport bike dragging the floorboards, but that's not hard to do because it does sit low to the ground. I do not recommend this bike for any beginners.

No chain Maintenance, thats a plus.

1600cc, bike gets up and go pretty quick

No center stand, which I will miss.

Shifting is very smooth

Comfort level is good for me.

Windshield is nice to have. I rode it in 35 degree weather the other day.

Saddle bags are nice to have.

Overall I like the bike a lot.

Wheels are bit** to clean.

I will find more as I ride it more.

The bottom picture is a picture of the bike the owner gave me before he put the cobra pipes on, the top one is one I took with some of the stuff off of it.

429618_10150598270218953_509193952_9095316_2056890238_n.jpg

318.jpg

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice man looks really really clean! I test rode a similar bike- Victory Vegas- last year during a demo day and really enjoyed it. Just couldn't get used to those forward controls! Really comfortable on the highway though and had tons of power and torque.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's nearly identical to FZ1... oh wait .. :eek:

Cool ride! Sounds like it'll work well for what you want from a 2-wheeled machine.

Doesn't matter now, but 06 FZ1 did have really jerky throttle tip-in and it was improved for 07. I can honestly say that my 07 is smoother from close to open throttle than my FZ6 was :don'tknow:

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Most people are way too nice on here to tell you what they really think... Let's put it this way... As long as your happy with that hideous monstrosity, then that's all that matters...:BLAA:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Most people are way too nice on here to tell you what they really think... Let's put it this way... As long as your happy with that hideous monstrosity, then that's all that matters...:BLAA:

Damn Canadian...am I happy YOU said it so I didn't have to! :thumbup:

Seriously, though Geoff. If you're happy with it, that's all that matters. As one who came TO the FZ6 FROM a V-Star, I did just the opposite and could NEVER go back.

So what's the over/under on how long it'll be until he comes back to the sport bike world?

:ban:

Just messin' with ya, bud! :D

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations Geoff!
Great looking cruizer and in my book there isn't a better brand cruiser you could by.

"Tell ya what" (Hank Hill)

There are different experiences to be had with different bikes and I've had fun riding my neighbor's Stratoliner. Yeah, it's like 800 plus pounds but that big mill has gobs of torque. He almost died one day when he told me he wanted to watch me ride and work his other cruiser. I was on the floor boards really quick. I appreciated the different experiences riding different bikes.
If I ever have to blast on a cruiser I'll be that much more experienced.
I wanna hear the Cobra exhaust. Make us a vid and post it so I can get my neighbor interested! :D

Oh yeah you also got the aux. driving lights!
The other advantage is your pillion will prolly be more comfy on that.

gstephen70

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats Geoff. You like it is all that matters. My friend rides a Vulcan and it is a similar monstrosity. It does get up and go. Fat girls need love too. :rockon:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
So what's the over/under on how long it'll be until he comes back to the sport bike world?
D

Closest over/under splits the pot 30/70. Ties go to first person bidding the date. Buy-ins are $5USD a vote. If one bidder takes both over and under, the next closest "over" bidder will take the over pot.

Bidding starts today and bids placed 2 weeks before he sells his cruiser for a sport bike will be considered void and all money will be returned. Post bids here.

:BLAA:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow I thought this was a joke at first, I didn't think you were serious after seeing your fz6, talk about a HUGE difference!!! For what your looking for though, it sounds like it fits your needs nearly perfect unless you wanted a wing. But I'm not and probably never will be that stereotypical one type of bike kind of person, I like anything on wheels, wether it be a crotch rocket or cruiser, and my friend that is a good looking bike, but tell your wife to hang on and loose the sissy bar lol I've never liked them even though pillions do

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's about what I expected for comments on this thread. Who says I can't have 2 bikes though? I doubt I will have another Fz6, but in good time, I may pick up a project bike. As for the "monstrosity", I put a lot of thought into it, and if I truly don't like it, I can always flip the bike considering the condition it's in. So far I probably put 300 miles on it and I have no complaints.

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:Flip::Flip::Flip::Flip::D

Closest over/under splits the pot 30/70. Ties go to first person bidding the date. Buy-ins are $5USD a vote. If one bidder takes both over and under, the next closest "over" bidder will take the over pot.

Bidding starts today and bids placed 2 weeks before he sells his cruiser for a sport bike will be considered void and all money will be returned. Post bids here.

:BLAA:

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
My dad has the same bike! I always made fun of him for having it. I called it a lazy boy! :BLAA: I rode it on a charity tide and loved it! The FZ6 just doesn't like riding 100 mile going 35 with a bunch of drunk Harley riders!

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
This one for sale next to me looks sweet!!! I like riding cruisers, but i want a road warrior with a giant rear tire if i were to get one :rockon:

photo5.jpg

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
This is the cruiser i would get :BLAA: This one is heavily modified of course.

rswarrior101b.jpg

rswarrior111b.jpg

Last edited:

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
its a big difference yes from your (nicely sorted ) fz. i like the look tho they are massive bikes and i always stop to look at them when we go for a ride and stop for beer. i dont think ill ever own one tho because they are very heavy and the steering so far forward puts me off.

it sure suits you tho since you tested a lot of bikes and found this to be your best bet so i wouldn t think you ll get rid of it soon. enjoy

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Geoff,

When it comes to this bike, I have some experience riding it. I've logged about 1000 miles. Picked one up for my roomate last year from Southern Cal and rode it back to Vegas. When my bike was out of commision, I rode it for a few weeks.

Personally, it just sucks way too much fuel. It's a huge cruiser, so it's a totally different ride. Yeah, it's very heavy. It's tough to push the bike around.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/touring-traveling/38621-new-bike-roadstar-silverado.html

Anyway, my roomate never even got his M endorsement, and ended up selling the bike without even riding it.