Painted Little Bits

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I think lots of silver bolts on black looks a bit silly, so I sprayed them all black with BBQ paint and cured them in the over. They look brilliant and it will also mean they are a bit more protected from corrosion.

I didn't paint the screw heads, so they were protected by newspaper and I stuck them into a piece of wood to hold them for painting:-

After a couple of layers of paint:-

I also took out the fuel cap bolts (very easy):-

After being put in the over for two 10 minute sessions:-

The gas tank bolts and washers:-

The dash bolts:-

The upper fairing bolts:-

The gas cap bolts:-

The lower fairing bolts:-

If they get messed up, I can easily sand and repaint. I'm trying to decide whether to paint some of the larger bits or find somewhere that can power-coat them. I'm not even sure if all the bits of the footrest hangers can be painted.

ClarkFZ6

Reaction score
www.sdmf.com
Looks good mate. I'm tempted to do what you've done and maybe powder-coat my radiator grill. It's silver but I think a black grill on a black bike would look ace. Can you powder coat yourself or do you have to get a company to do it?

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good mate. I'm tempted to do what you've done and maybe powder-coat my radiator grill. It's silver but I think a black grill on a black bike would look ace. Can you powder coat yourself or do you have to get a company to do it?
I take it you bought an aftermarket radiator grill then? I've got the black plastic stock thing I'm thinking of replacing. Was it better than the stock one?

You can buy home powder-coating kits but I have no idea how well they work. I'm thinking about buying one actually as long as I can do it without ruining my oven or the gfriend will kick my ass! There is an awesome series of videos on Youtube with the first one below making it look easy. I can get a kit on ebay for £150, which may work out cheaper than paying someone to do lots of bits. I'd probably get carried away and do most of the bike though! :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHq2_NOBjVs]YouTube - Powder Coating Home Setup[/ame]

ClarkFZ6

Reaction score
www.sdmf.com
That guy makes it look very easy! I've heard of a place in Gosport that powder coats mountain bike parts - have yet to research them so I don't know prices.

Yeah i bought the official Fazer grill - a lucky ebay purchase that I managed to get for around £35-£40. I like it but having a mainly black bike it does stick out like a sore thumb.

I haven't got anywhere to powder coat and like you the oven scenario is rather a risky one!

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
That guy makes it look very easy! I've heard of a place in Gosport that powder coats mountain bike parts - have yet to research them so I don't know prices.

Yeah i bought the official Fazer grill - a lucky ebay purchase that I managed to get for around £35-£40. I like it but having a mainly black bike it does stick out like a sore thumb.

I haven't got anywhere to powder coat and like you the oven scenario is rather a risky one!
Yeah, I think there are a few local places that do Powdercoating, but I'm put off making the initial contact/requests etc. I've been looking for someone who was already used a place and can recommend it & give advice! :)

PS did you undertake me on the M27 last week? Way home about 4-5ish? :spank:

sempul

Reaction score
Visit site
i bought one of these kits a while back and am just getting used to it. i had a friend give me a stove that the burners dont work on but the oven works fine lol. here is a hint. dont hold the item you are powder coating or it will shock the $hit out of you!

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
i bought one of these kits a while back and am just getting used to it. i had a friend give me a stove that the burners dont work on but the oven works fine lol. here is a hint. dont hold the item you are powder coating or it will shock the $hit out of you!
Lol! Thanks for the advice! :Flash: :thumbup:

Got any tips/guides/sources of useful info about powder coating yourself? I'm interested now. Does it ruin ovens for cooking food when you use them?

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know there are also colored bolt kits (non-corrosive) you can buy for metric bikes....red, blue, yellow, green..... IMHO, anything goes with black. I like the contrast of the bolts against the black. BTW, you did a nice job on your website.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I know there are also colored bolt kits (non-corrosive) you can buy for metric bikes....red, blue, yellow, green..... IMHO, anything goes with black. I like the contrast of the bolts against the black. BTW, you did a nice job on your website.
Thanks. I'm planning on getting the rest of the cap black when I can get it to bit properly. Boneman tried it and struggled too. The pin that acts as a hinge is strange. I don't like alloy/coloured bolts - they are too weak. I wouldn't trust them - I snapped one just tightening it enough to install a windscreen!

ClarkFZ6

Reaction score
www.sdmf.com
Yeah, I think there are a few local places that do Powdercoating, but I'm put off making the initial contact/requests etc. I've been looking for someone who was already used a place and can recommend it & give advice! :)

PS did you undertake me on the M27 last week? Way home about 4-5ish? :spank:

I doubt it, although that is often the time I'm on the way back. I've seen a couple of other black FZ6s around our area. I usually only undertake if the traffic is going much slower than 70mph. I would've had a white helmet on and a blue tank bag.

I emailed a place in Gosport that I can't remember the name of re: powder coating. I'll let you know their prices are like when they get back to me.

Daryldaddy

Elite Member
Reaction score
central BC / Canada...on beautifull Quesnel lake
Visit site
ahhhh.....cosmetics, yep a little paint can go a long way....heres a tip, if your just spray bombing your small hardwear , before applying the colour of your choice, shoot on 2 light coats of zinc chromate ( also availible in a spray bomb ) this is a very powerfull etching primer, allow it to cure overnite before you apply the your final colour.. now you have a very durable finish even without heating....and for those of you that admire translucent colors ...why not anodize...? lots of colours to choose from Gold. red. blue ,green, bronze, black are the most common, this is an acid bath and electrolisis process that comes out semi transparent and is very durable.. I had my headers done on my drag harley in bronze and it held up extremly well.... as allways....just my 2 cents........Daryl :rockon: ;)

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I doubt it, although that is often the time I'm on the way back. I've seen a couple of other black FZ6s around our area. I usually only undertake if the traffic is going much slower than 70mph. I would've had a white helmet on and a blue tank bag.

I emailed a place in Gosport that I can't remember the name of re: powder coating. I'll let you know their prices are like when they get back to me.
Lol. Probably not you then. I don't think he had a white helmet on. Also, now I think about it, the bike was dark blue instead of black!

ClarkFZ6

Reaction score
www.sdmf.com
ahhhh.....cosmetics, yep a little paint can go a long way....heres a tip, if your just spray bombing your small hardwear , before applying the colour of your choice, shoot on 2 light coats of zinc chromate ( also availible in a spray bomb ) this is a very powerfull etching primer, allow it to cure overnite before you apply the your final colour.. now you have a very durable finish even without heating....and for those of you that admire translucent colors ...why not anodize...? lots of colours to choose from Gold. red. blue ,green, bronze, black are the most common, this is an acid bath and electrolisis process that comes out semi transparent and is very durable.. I had my headers done on my drag harley in bronze and it held up extremly well.... as allways....just my 2 cents........Daryl :rockon: ;)

Oooh, is this easy enough to do at home? Hadn't thought of anodizing! Have you got any pictures of your Harley. Sounds interesting!