Overfilled my Engine Oil

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I just did my first oil change on the Fazer and I bought one of those 1 gallon oil container.

Anyways... long story short after I finished everything, putting the fairings back on I realized when I looked at the bottled that I've used a litter over 3 liters of oil. Which is about 3.17 quarts
If I'm not mistaken the manual say if I change my filter it needs 2.96 quarts.

Will this really screw up my bike by having that extra .21 quart in the engine?

I really hate taking that fairing off the bike because it takes forever to put it back on.

ANyways, thanks for the advice ahead of time :)

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not 100% sure and I'm sure someone else will post but I believe the short answer is yes as the extra oil puts pressure in places that it isn't supposed to be such as on the clutch or other engine parts.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Dude..yes too much oil is bad. Check the dip stick and if you're over max, drain some out until it's under max..

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You have a dip stick and that's what you should use per the manual. Quantities can vary from the factory specs. The manual quantities are great to go by but you should use your dip stick. The main reason to worry about overfilling is usually foaming. If I overfilled I would drain some.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Two ways of lowering the oil level, one easier than the other:

A syringe with a 6" piece of hose inserted into the dip stick hole will reach the oil and you can simply suck some out. (you could also use a pump style brake bleeder that'll pull oil out as well)

If you don't have a syringe, simply loosen the oil filter until some oil runs out, then re-tighten and re-check your oil...

As a side note re-checking the oil. After doing an oil change and making sure the correct amount was in there per the dip stick, I now do the following:

The bike sits in the garage in the exact same place, on the side stand. I now check the engine oil dead cold(overnight), on the side stand. Where my bike sits, again, dead cold, the oil will NOW READ 1/3 to 1/2 way up the dip stick hashmarks. BTW, when warm and checked per the manual, it'll read full (or at the top of the hashmaks)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guy for all the help.

Yeah, I ended up draining some of the oil.

TownsendsFJR1300: thanks for the great tip. Worked wonderfully.
I just used my old medicine syringe with a mcdonalds straw Lol XD

The way I actually measured mine was putting it on its center stand.
measuring it cold and then start the bike up for a few minutes then remeasure.

All checks out great now, its kind of hard to tell sometime but oil seems to reach near the top of the max but with most concentrated part near the bottom of the hexed mark of the dip stick so I figured its good there. no oil above the hexed part of the drip stick.

Weather was too nice to not ride today. Currently in Dallas its 72F. :)
Its nice to have the old girl out and about again.

I'm probably going to plan some sort of group ride in coming few weeks for all riders in the DFW if anyone is interested. More details later.

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
I know you've already solved the problem, but just in case someone with a similar problem finds this thread in the future, and doesn't have a syringe:

When I've overfilled mine in the past, I notice it right when am doing the oil change, so my tools etc. are still out.

So, I just stick my oil drain catch pan back under the bike, loosen the drain plug again, unscrewing the last little bit by hand, pressing it against the hole.

Once it's disengaged, pull it away for a few seconds to let the desired amount of oil back out, press back onto the hole to stop the flow, and screw it back in. No mess.

Though it might sound like it, this does not require ninja-like reflexes :)

I like Townsend's filter idea too, may try that if I run into it again.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I overfilled my first oil change. I let it idle few minutes until the oil was warm and could flow better. Shut it off and used thin *clear* vinyl tubing and sucked enough out until I could get a siphon going. Clear is important here. Oil is not part of a healthy diet. :)

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
I used the trigger head and hose of a regular house hold spray bottle, like from an Ajax bottle. Takes a while but it's easy to do. My oil still reads a bit over the full mark.