Ottimoto Rear Set Comparison

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Rainy days are for staying in the garage and putting on some Ottimoto rear sets. As I was installing them, I took some measurements to compare the original setup to the end result.

Starting with the shifter side, a line is connected from the front axle to the rear which will be the reference point for all elevation measurements.

Stock rear set arrangement:
full

The top of peg measures around 2” to the string line.
full

The shifter measures 1-1/8” to the string line. So the height distance between the foot peg and the shifter is around the 1” mark.
full

The distance from the shifter to the foot peg is around 6”.
full

Using a couple of hex keys inserted in the bolts attaching the stock rear sets to the frame as a reference, the foot peg appears to be 2-1/2” rearward.
full

Ottimoto rear set arrangement:
The top of the Ottimoto foot peg measures around 3-1/2” to the string line. Here the Ottimoto is an additional 1-1/2” higher than the stock foot peg. The holes are approximately 3/8” apart and the Ottimoto was mounted two holes up from the bottom. If mounted on the bottom hole, the difference would still be an inch higher than the stock configuration.
full

The shifter measures 2-1/4” to the string line. The height distance between the two is around 1-1/4” which is pretty close to the original setup.
full

The distance of the Ottimoto from the shifter to the foot peg appears to be around 5-1/4” which is slightly shorter by 3/4” than the stock ones.
full

The distance from the rear set bolts to frame to the foot peg is 4-1/4” which sets the foot peg back 1-3/4” from the stock position. The holes closest to the front are only 3/4” away so had the rear set been mounted in those holes, the setback is only 1” difference, so attempting to achieve a stock configuration with the Ottimoto’s is not going to happen.
full

To summarize, the Ottimoto mounted in the third hole from the bottom of the setback plates and the most rearward holes moves the foot peg 1-3/4” rearward and 1-1/2” higher.

Last edited:

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Before I attempted the brake side, I took some pictures to show the relative positions of the stock foot peg to the Ottimoto peg.

From the rear, it is evident that the Ottimoto foot peg on the shifter side is higher than the stock foot peg on the brake side.
full

Viewing from the top of the bike, the shifter foot peg is further back than the foot peg on the brake side.
full

Last edited:

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Continuing with the brake side, a line is again connected from the front axle to the rear which will be the reference point for all elevation measurements.

Stock rear set arrangement:
full

The top of peg measures around 2-1/2” to the string line. A little weird because it should be the same as the shifter side of 2”. I would have to assume that my line is slightly lower at the front wheel end as I eyeballed attaching the string at that point.
full

The brake measures 1-1/2” to the string line. So the height distance between the foot peg and the brake is around the 1” mark which coincides with the specification in the manual.
full

The distance from the brake to the foot peg is around 5-1/4””.
full

Again using a couple of hex keys inserted in the bolts attaching the stock rear sets to the frame as a reference, the foot peg appears to be 2-1/2” rearward.
full

Ottimoto rear set arrangement:
The top of the Ottimoto foot peg measures around 3-1/2” to the string line. Since the string was removed during installation and then reattached, I am going to assume the that the stock measurements are off by 1/4” so I will subtract this doing the comparison to the Ottimoto. Here the Ottimoto is an additional 1-1/2” higher than the stock foot peg.
full

The brake measures 2-1/8”” to the string line. The height distance between the two is around 1-1/8” which is pretty close to the original setup.
full

The distance of the Ottimoto from the brake to the foot peg appears to be around 5-1/4” which is the same length as the stock brake.
full

The distance from the rear set bolts to frame to the foot peg is 4-1/4” which sets the foot peg back 1-3/4” from the stock position. This position is consistent with the shifter side.
full

As before, the Ottimoto mounted in the third hole from the bottom of the setback plates and the most rearward holes moves the foot peg 1-3/4” rearward and 1-1/2” higher.

I took some pictures of the installation and will post them up later along with some comments and little tweaks I did along the way.

Edit: I finally got around to posting the install...
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/39114-ottimoto-installation-guide.html

Last edited:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow Daryl, it must have been raining ALL day :rof:

Looks great. Looking forward to hearing what you think about them when you get on the road :)

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent Comparison!!

I Would love to see this exact same thing done for the Rizomas, ValterMoto, and Gilles. Great Information!

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great write up. The question now is do you like them and are they worth the money? This is a mod I have been thinking about doing. Thanks, :thumbup:

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys, and it was raining on and off ALL day Karen. :Flip: ...;)

So it was dry enough today to take it for a 15km spin and in a word, "WOW". The shifting is smoooooth, almost effortless. I found the pegs were a little slippery under my Sidi's but if it becomes a problem, I'll think of something. I am a little concerned about vibration as wolfman mentioned in another thread, but a longer trip will tell.

In the meanwhile, first impressions, I like them, money versus quality/functionality gets an A+ from me. Money well spent. :rockon: