On off throttle responce...07 FZ6

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
But riding a gear higher is an extremely compromising solution to this problem. It's like saying ride slower. We're trying to fix the issue so it doesn't slow us down. Using a higher gear will drastically slow you down, assuming you had the correct gear when experiencing the issue.

Practice a gear higher to take some of the risk out. Once you feel better about controlling/modulating the on/off throttle response, you can now drop a gear to get the pull you want coming out of that corner.

And IMO, you should strive to be faster by being smooth and carrying corner speed, not by being as fast as you can in the straight line that follows the corner (corner exit is what you were referring to)... at least that's what I focus on when I ride on the streets/canyons/etc. The track is obviously different if you're after lap times, but you should work on your throttle control first before worrying about lap times anyway :)

:edit: oh and yes, there are other "mechanical" ways to improve the on/off feel as stated throughout this thread, I just personally think you don't "need" them to be fast, smooth and in control riding an FZ6.

Last edited:

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah but what I'm trying to convey is that we could all do what you've posted about riding smoother etc, yet would be able to be even smoother if the mechanical issue was rectified.

These are just a 'you should do them anyway' list. If you remove the mechanical issue then you don't have to think about that aspect of the corner and can concentrate on other things.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Good luck "removing" that mechanical issue. Any bike with a 14k+++ rpm range will "feel" jumpy mid-corner if you are in the power band. There is no magic trick to it.

Yes the FZ may be a bit worse than other bikes, but IMO, it's the man not the bike that needs the most work :)

Either way good luck.

N

Naykid

Good luck "removing" that mechanical issue. Any bike with a 14k+++ rpm range will "feel" jumpy mid-corner if you are in the power band. There is no magic trick to it.

Yes the FZ may be a bit worse than other bikes, but IMO, it's the man not the bike that needs the most work :)

Either way good luck.

Wrong again. The 2ND GEN FZ1's have the same issue as we do. The FCE completly eliminated the problem. BTW .... might be a good idea to check a members race credentials before you tell him that he needs to practice being smooth. This is not a wrist problem. It's a CPU mapping problem.

kawwikid

Reaction score
Visit site
Wrong again. The 2ND GEN FZ1's have the same issue as we do. The FCE completly eliminated the problem. BTW .... might be a good idea to check a members race credentials before you tell him that he needs to practice being smooth. This is not a wrist problem. It's a CPU mapping problem.
The 06 FZ1 have the same issues as the FZ6, as do the early 07. I have ridden a couple of 08 and 09 FZ1s that where dealer demos, bone stock, and there throttle is a lot smoother than the FZ6s. Maybe not a smooth as the 04 FZ1 that I had, but much better than the FZ6..Yamaha did a lot of CPU changes to the 08 up to new FZ1s, and they have a very different feel than the 06s...(ie. cpu changes, shocks and fork changes)....

Sean

N

Naykid

The 06 FZ1 have the same issues as the FZ6, as do the early 07. I have ridden a couple of 08 and 09 FZ1s that where dealer demos, bone stock, and there throttle is a lot smoother than the FZ6s. Maybe not a smooth as the 04 FZ1 that I had, but much better than the FZ6..Yamaha did a lot of CPU changes to the 08 up to new FZ1s, and they have a very different feel than the 06s...(ie. cpu changes, shocks and fork changes)....

Sean

Thanks for the info. You would think that Yamaha would have fixed our FZ6's too but they chose not to. Wonder why.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site

I don't care about your "race credentials" (lol!!!). I gave my opinion on this topic that's all.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
:rolleyes: I expected some immature comment back from you... when dudes like you run out of arguments, and realize they're full of it, that is usually what happens...

My mature response to that should be to ignore you, but I don't feel like working right now so let me to sum it up:

- you've owned 69 bikes over 47 years of riding
- you're an ex-racer (whatever that means)
- you have never had a bike with such poor on/off throttle
- you know for a fact that your throttle control is the best it can be

yet,

- you don't know what would create this condition so you posted a thread to ask us, but now you suddenly know for a fact that it's an ECU/mapping issue (if you know that for a fact, then the fix is easy, go get it done...).

- so with all these bikes you've owned/raced/etc over the past half-century, I assume a few of them had carbs... and NONE of them had the on/off throttle issue? or poor throttle response? Quite surprising huh... you must have been very lucky.

- If the wrist of the rider has absolutely nothing to do with the problem, how come some of us manage OK? Weird huh....

Last edited:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
oh and now I am curious, did you ever post a thread with some pictures of you racing? What bikes did you race? what team were you part of? did you win some events?

What about these 69 bikes you've owned... let's see some pics of them all!

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
:popcorn:

FWIW, I think Wavex is on the right track here. The throttle response is a little on/off, but I also think with more practice, I'll be able to handle it better. I only have around 3500 miles on my bike, so I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do.

joe1971

Reaction score
Visit site
:popcorn:

FWIW, I think Wavex is on the right track here. The throttle response is a little on/off, but I also think with more practice, I'll be able to handle it better. I only have around 3500 miles on my bike, so I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do.

+1
It is what it is, there's been more than enough info offered up in this thread of how to effectively deal with it, and most of the options can be combined to make it all but disappear.

When I first got my bike the throttle DID give me a few nervous moments, but since then I haven't had any issue with it to speak of and i keep my chain at it's outer limits of slack.

So learn to deal with it or don't, up to you. But arguing about it now seems kinda silly. JMHO

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Man, drama island... PCIII and a good map, most of the problem gone.

ZünRob

Reaction score
Visit site
I find the same "problem" on mine '08 too. It has already surprised me several times when taking a corner. However, now I've found this as being a problem I'm just that focused on it that it only seems to get worse. ;)
Is it true that by minimizing the slack of the throttle you'll get a better response? In my eyes you'll only relocate the problem, and you'll earlier reach this on/off point.

Guess the slack of mine is about 2 - 3 mm... Chain slack is about 40mm. :)

FZ6Hot

FZ6Hot
Reaction score
Visit site
8 pages in this thread and no definitive answer to our problem. I partially solved my problem with 2 changes. Number 1, and this is embarrassing, gave my chain a thorough clean with a high quality chain cleaner. I have 30,000km (18,000 miles on the bike). Now clean the chain every 1,000km or so. That greatly reduced the abrupt chain "snatch" getting on the throttle at low rpm. The other partial solution is keeping the revs up in a corner, usually one gear lower than I did ride. Read somewhere that our FI cuts out below 4500rpm so I always try to setup my downshifts so I never drop below that threshold, prefer to stay above 8000.
All these solutions do not help in tight first gear hairpins. Anybody familiar with the pacific northwest and Mount Baker will know what I talking about.

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
i wonder, is the ecu the classic denso? i read on busa forums they where able to download maps, change em, disable timing retard etc...even if it is the same type of chip dont expect to connect the busa software and start pulling rabbits out of your hat but its a clue that reverse engineering could be done to disable this (and other) features. this also could render all pc3-5 and other **** useless.

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
The bike has 12.2.1 Compression ratio (similar to high performance cars), you actually feeling the compression of the engine release and compress. Simple physics. I would feel the same thing in a car with high compression engines and manual transmission. It's normal and won't harm anything.

mootybb

Reaction score
Visit site
I have performed many tune up procedures since I bought my FZ6 3 months ago including plugs, air cleaner, clutch cable, levers, carb tune sync, chain adjustment and oil changes.
When I put on my Leo's and adjusted CO 1&2, 95% of the on/off throttle response disappeared. A pleasant suprise indeed, not what I was expecting.