On off throttle responce...07 FZ6

N

Naykid

That's correct. The Fuel Cutoff, does just that. Everything dries out, and when you go for the gas again there is a delay, which is why you find yourself fishing for it. I believe the FCE stops the complete shutoff of fuel during engine braking so nothing dries out and there is no delay when you go back to throttle again.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...cut-eliminator-no-fz6-version.html#post293205

This is the thread, with mention of someone hopefully taking their bike there as guinea pig, but I guess it never eventuated:(

Thanks Mike....you Aussies always seem to be on top of things when it comes to handling and throttle control. Ivan is a good friend. We attend Vintage Days at Mid Ohio and have even ridden the Gap together at the FZ1 rallies. He can ride too. Top 5% easy. I live too far away from his shop in New York...but i know him well enough to aggrevate him into making a FCE for our FZ6'S.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Mike....you Aussies always seem to be on top of things when it comes to handling and throttle control. Ivan is a good friend. We attend Vintage Days at Mid Ohio and have even ridden the Gap together at the FZ1 rallies. He can ride too. Top 5% easy. I live too far away from his shop in New York...but i know him well enough to aggrevate him into making a FCE for our FZ6'S.

LOL...doesn't sound like he needs too much of a push to do it. Just needs a bike I guess. I'll get round to calling him up to get mine one of these days. Make life a lot easier in the tight stuff, and also at the track.:D

N

Naykid

LOL...doesn't sound like he needs too much of a push to do it. Just needs a bike I guess. I'll get round to calling him up to get mine one of these days. Make life a lot easier in the tight stuff, and also at the track.:D

The real problem is that he always BUYS a bike and keeps it for 6 months or so while he develops jet kits...FCE's....timing advancers etc. I don't think he will buy a FZ6 now that Yamaha isn't making them anymore. But i will call him ..and i hope you will too. He can sell 500 of those to this forum alone.

Bob

joe1971

Reaction score
Visit site
You slide off the seat a bit, roll off the throttle and brake hard:rockon:. You look through the turn as you start to tip in while easing off the brake:rockon:. You carefully roll on the throttle and nothing happens:rolleyes:.....so you start to "fall" inwards 'cause you need to power through the turn, so you roll the throttle on more looking for the opening spot...and BAM:eek:, the front wheel wants to lift and the rear wants to try to spin.....Sound familiar?

It's the same problem that the 06 FZ1 suffers from, only not as severe. I tend to trail brake, and if you stay on the rear a bit as you gas it (and gas it a bit early) I find it helps....it's a tuff one to master though. There was talk of someone taking an FZ6 to Ivan's performance (in New York?) and he'd whip up an FCE (Fuel cutoff eliminator) for it. This is the fix used on the FZ1's and from all reports I've heard it does the trick. Still haven't got one for mine but I will.

One thing that will help is to keep your throttle adjusted so that it operates in the same place every time, ie. adjust the slack out very regularly. This makes it easier for muscle memory to have you opening the throttle to the same place each time instead of going looking for the spot....lol...those who have this problem will know what I mean. And if you think it's bad on the FZ6, man the FZ1 goes nuts when it does it:eek:...lol.

^^^^^ that right there is the single best thing you can do

Use that rear break to modulate your speed into the corner to the apex, just keep a steady throttle.

Doing this will settle your suspension before you initiate the turn, help keep weight transferred to the larger contact patch (ie: rear tire) which means more traction. When you hit the apex your bike will already be settled and ready to drive out of the corner. So no need for $500 worth of mods, no need to go playing with cable tension (I did anyway, just didn't like the play), no need to make your chain tighter trying take out some of the slack.

It does take some practice to get proficient at it though.

Chantal

Reaction score
Visit site
The real problem is that he always BUYS a bike and keeps it for 6 months or so while he develops jet kits...FCE's....timing advancers etc. I don't think he will buy a FZ6 now that Yamaha isn't making them anymore. But i will call him ..and i hope you will too. He can sell 500 of those to this forum alone. Bob

I would buy one :thumbup:

fastar1

Reaction score
Visit site
I could definitely use a solution for this problem. Hopefully it doesn't call for better injectors or anything like that.

I guess for track days for now I can just set the throttle so it's always 1% open?

N

Naykid

I could definitely use a solution for this problem. Hopefully it doesn't call for better injectors or anything like that.

I guess for track days for now I can just set the throttle so it's always 1% open?

Nope...the 06 and up FZ1'S have the same issues. The FCE will fix it. The more interest we show here...the more Ivan will want to make some for us.

fastar1

Reaction score
Visit site
Can the FCE be rigged with a switch to turn on and off for track days and road riding, or is it a hrd wired fix?

I don't want to penalize my fuel efficiency, that's part of the beauty of the FZ6.

N

Naykid

Can the FCE be rigged with a switch to turn on and off for track days and road riding, or is it a hrd wired fix?

I don't want to penalize my fuel efficiency, that's part of the beauty of the FZ6.

That's a good question. I can't see any reason why an on/off switch can't be installed on the wire...but i will ask Ivan about it.

kawwikid

Reaction score
Visit site
So,
I have been reading some of the post on the subject and was wondering about using a slower throttle. My thought/ question is, wouldn't using a slower throttle, cause the problem to be worse. My thinking would be that you would be in the lower part of the RPM band where the fueling isnt so good, for a longer time because the throttle is taking longer to be open, making harder to be smooth. I would think that using a faster throttle would make things smoother so your up out of the lower RPM band where the bad fueling is, faster. Plus having to turn your wrist less, to get more go, would allow you to keep your arms in a better place longer for better control...Am I off in thinking this?

Sean...

N

Naykid

So,
I have been reading some of the post on the subject and was wondering about using a slower throttle. My thought/ question is, wouldn't using a slower throttle, cause the problem to be worse. My thinking would be that you would be in the lower part of the RPM band where the fueling isnt so good, for a longer time because the throttle is taking longer to be open, making harder to be smooth. I would think that using a faster throttle would make things smoother so your up out of the lower RPM band where the bad fueling is, faster. Plus having to turn your wrist less, to get more go, would allow you to keep your arms in a better place longer for better control...Am I off in thinking this?

Sean...

Didn't read the whole thread did ya?

kawwikid

Reaction score
Visit site
Didn't read the whole thread did ya?

Not to be a smart ass, but I have read the whole post, if "you" look back to earlier post, I had brought up the subject of how most FI bikes are not as smooth as carb. bikes off the bottom, and that a good PC3 tune would help some of that, as would learning to ride through it...This latest reply was to the post about using a slower throttle cam....

N

Naykid

Not to be a smart ass, but I have read the whole post, if "you" look back to earlier post, I had brought up the subject of how most FI bikes are not as smooth as carb. bikes off the bottom, and that a good PC3 tune would help some of that, as would learning to ride through it...This latest reply was to the post about using a slower throttle cam....

Can you explain how a slower throttle cam can fix the FZ6 computer?

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ does have a jumpy throttle, but I believe you can work on it and be smooth. Being a gear "up" helps with the mid-corner jerkiness too, and forces you to be smooth. I'd start there.

kawwikid

Reaction score
Visit site
Can you explain how a slower throttle cam can fix the FZ6 computer?

Several other posters had brought up using a slower throttle to smooth out the throttle on the FZ6, so I was asking if a fast throttle would actually be better because it would get you out of the area of poor fueling (ie...low rpm) faster, and not require a longer movement of the hand...Either one really, one would think that you can just learn the throttle movement and what will happen and learn to control it..

Sean...

JustinID

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW - I just swapped to a 17T front sprocket and that seemed to smooth things out some. It's still there, but not as bad... I'm probably benefiting from a little less torque being immediately available. As for my chain, it had been set to less than 1.5" of play and I brought it up to 1.75". I'm not sure if that made any difference.

N

Naykid

The FZ does have a jumpy throttle, but I believe you can work on it and be smooth. Being a gear "up" helps with the mid-corner jerkiness too, and forces you to be smooth. I'd start there.

I have been riding and racing for 47 years. You think i need more practice?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
We all need more practice. If you think you don't just because you've been riding for longer than I've been alive then good for you.

I am just saying that IMO, even though the FZ6 throttle is quite jumpy, you can still work on it by -for example- being a gear high in turns... My 2 FZ6s had jumpy throttles too, but after using that technique for a while, and applying a bit more "weight" on the throttle grip, I managed to smooth out the "on/off" feel.

That is all.

Last edited:

u20overboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I noticed the thottle response on my test ride, as soon as I got off I saw plenty of slack in the cable. Soon as I got home I took near to all the slack out as has been mentioned above. I'm not as smooooth as I was with my vfr but it will come. Much better control for such a simple adjustment.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We all need more practice. If you think you don't just because you've been riding for longer than I've been alive then good for you.

I am just saying that IMO, even though the FZ6 throttle is quite jumpy, you can still work on it by -for example- being a gear high in turns... My 2 FZ6s had jumpy throttles too, but after using that technique for a while, and applying a bit more "weight" on the throttle grip, I managed to smooth out the "on/off" feel.

That is all.

But riding a gear higher is an extremely compromising solution to this problem. It's like saying ride slower. We're trying to fix the issue so it doesn't slow us down. Using a higher gear will drastically slow you down, assuming you had the correct gear when experiencing the issue.