OMG..Please HELP~~~

ms mrdr

PB4UGO
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I installed my scorpion pipes today but when I went to put the clamp on one of the exhausts..then tightened..it pulled the exhaust up over an inch...and I discovered when I put it back together,,that side was touching a plasic piece on my rear end (the plastic piece was sitting on the exhaust pipe)...not good...any advice or suggestions would be great...

I ended up not putting that clamp on that side for now..and please give me a break....I;m a woman, my first bike, and my first attempt to change exhaust so please be nice to me!

I know I have to fix it, problem is I don't know where to start! I just went ahead and put it back together cause I ran out of time~~I going to try to add some pics..you can clearly see which side doesn't have the clamp...

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!

schumy

Reaction score
Visit site
don't take my word for it.... but in the first picture, i tools like that piece where the zipties are on is broken off (just above the rear fender). And the plastic itself looks crooked (left side higher than the right) you might want to investigate that.

W

wrightme43

Loosen but do not remove the all clamps. adjust the mufflers untill they are where you want them. Slowly and evenly tighten the clamps to hold the mufflers, occasionally jiggle the pipes to release any tension. Once the mufflers are where you want them, then tighten down the pipe clamps.

Its not got anything to do with you being female. Its just a learning experince that everyone has to go thru.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry but your explanation of the problem made no sense to me. Take your time and try to explain your problem again please, in details :)

One side comment: you need to change your rear tire ASAP!!!! that thing looks bad and ready for the trashcan.

W

wrightme43

Sorry but your explanation of the problem made no sense to me. Take your time and try to explain your problem again please, in details :)

One side comment: you need to change your rear tire ASAP!!!! that thing looks bad and ready for the trashcan.

+10 on the tire.

All she has done is get the pipes and mufflers twisted offline of one another putting them on. I had to loosen mine up and straighten them out too.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
oh ok, I get it now :) Aren`t the clamp bolts/nuts on the top of the pipes though, where the mounting bracket is? can you still tighten it after the pipes are mounted?

I had scorpions on for a few weeks last year... don`t remember exactly :)

lasermax

Reaction score
Visit site
First off, WAY TO GO! I commend you for wrenching on your first bike, as well as making a good choice! I'm not firmiliar with those pipes, but maybe your Y pipe that they sent you isn't correct, meaning isn't bent properly? I'm just making a wild guess here, because everything usually goes together pretty easily when everything supplied is correct. Maybe loosen everything up to and including the cat pipe, then when everything seems even and level, tighten it all up evenly, a little at a time? Just a suggestion. Good luck.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
like a few others have said so what if your a woman. That doesn't matter when it comes to the ability to learn by trial and error. As far as your problem i would have to agree on the trying to loosen everything up and get it where you want it and try that approach as far as that little piece of plastic that should fit between your fender and the bracket should fit in their nice and snug could be part of your problem also! It never seems to take very much of a tweak to throw everything else off. You did the hard part now its just the fine tuning!

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
The alignment of the 2 mufflers relies on having the "Y" pipe absolutely horizontal. If (for example) the right side of the "Y" pipe that connects to the muffler is higher than the left side, it will raise the outlet end of the left muffler and lower the outlet end of the right muffler, because both mufflers will "lever" on their large round support brackets. Loosen every clamp and slowly tighten them all, keeping the outlets of the mufflers as level as possible. It helps to have a "helper" holding the two mufflers in perfect horizontal and vertical alignment while you're tightening everything up. Start at the muffler end and work your way forward.
There IS contact between the upper part of the large muffler clamps and the plastic underpinning of the seat/passenger grab handle assembly. This hasn't been a problem for me so far. If the mufflers don't melt the insulating rubber that goes around them inside the clamps, then it won't melt anything on your bike either. The end caps and tailpipes get the hottest.
Did you replace the large horizontal "U" shaped bracket under the mufflers that supports the license plate light with the supplied Scorpion "U" bracket? The OEM bracket will contact the underside of the mufflers, forcing them upward.
The LAST clamp you should tighten is the one at the front of the "Y" pipe to the cat converter, btw. Get everything else aligned and tightened up first.
Don't be afraid to retighten all the clamps after you've gone for a ride when everything's nice and hot, btw....they'll need it. ;)
HTH!! :)

Last edited:

lasermax

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sure she wasn't done buttoning that piece or the other stuff up, because she was having a problem with the fitting. That rear piece is obvious.

ms mrdr

PB4UGO
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for your imput...I appreciate it. I have tightened and retighted and to no avail damn thing is still crooked. I've got me a theory though..the problem is in the Y. But alson when I put the clamp on to tighten it pulls the muffler up. It's still a work in progress. I have ridden it and the pipe doesn't get that hot so far...my concern is for the melting of the rear end plastic....will let you know!!!

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Ms Mrdr,

I think you're right about the Y pipe being the problem. I don't mean that it's defective. That's pretty uncommon. More likely, it's just not lined up right.

Here's my current suggestion.

1. Loosen all the exhaust clamps from the header all the way to your mufflers.

2. Tighten the two clamps that hang the mufflers

3. Adjust and lightly tighten the connections from the Y pipe to the mufflers. Make sure the mufflers are still aligned. If they are not, readjust by moving the Y pipe. Once you like where they are, tighten the connections more. Check the mufflers again. Are they OK (they should be at this point). If so, tighten the Y pipe all the way down and start tighting up the rest of the exhaust system.

Hopefully this will help.

Fred

jsp

Easyrider
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for your imput...I appreciate it. I have tightened and retighted and to no avail damn thing is still crooked. I've got me a theory though..the problem is in the Y. But alson when I put the clamp on to tighten it pulls the muffler up. It's still a work in progress. I have ridden it and the pipe doesn't get that hot so far...my concern is for the melting of the rear end plastic....will let you know!!!

Make it easy... Take everything out and start the process from the begining, making sure everything is in the right place.

I would do it it your place. :thumbup: