Older tires

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought this bike with 6500 miles and I assume it still has the original tires. Front is still at 70% and rear at 50. Now, giving the bike is 2006, do you think the time can also be an issue? Would you still replace the tires based on their age?

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I can tell you are new here, so welcome.

As a collective group we are a tad conservative with tires.

I imagine you would start next season gung-ho with the existing rubber and slowly getting convinced these are working just fine. And you probably could risk it until your confidence gets a little ahead of your ability in the hypothetical agressive corner or god forbid a decreasing radius turn your aren't expecting.

Let me be the 2nd of many to say, you need new rubber

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Another vote for new tires asap

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you all.
I thought so too. Just wanted to confirm. I'm changing tires like ones a year, but they didn't last longer cas I making lots of miles.
I probably will go with Michelin PR3 F/R or ContiMotion in front

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A good job you didn't ask Kenny first. Kenny has an innate ability to ride his tyres through to the rims and then some.

Nelly

mattwitt

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys.. I have a 2008 with only 2700 miles on it and the original tires. I guess I should change them out before the riding season?? Tires look awesome, but I guess the rubber gets hard after a while.. I would hate to lose traction over a couple hundred dollars..

BTW - What's a fair price on installation of tires? I am willing to buy from a local shop if they include installation (does that happen?), if not get them cheaper online and then have them installed.

Thanks from a Noob! lol

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys.. I have a 2008 with only 2700 miles on it and the original tires. I guess I should change them out before the riding season?? Tires look awesome, but I guess the rubber gets hard after a while.. I would hate to lose traction over a couple hundred dollars..

BTW - What's a fair price on installation of tires? I am willing to buy from a local shop if they include installation (does that happen?), if not get them cheaper online and then have them installed.

Thanks from a Noob! lol

Prices can be all over the map. Looks like $75 to $200 to install a set, with wheels on the bike, in your area. Try this link out:

Preferred Installer - Motorcycle Superstore

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks from a Noob! lol

CycleGear typically chargest less than all others (20-30 per wheel, depending on location).
This one may be near your:

10897 Saint Charles Rock Road
Saint Ann,MO

You do have to remove the wheels yourself (they only swap tires and balance then).
If you get tires from them, swap is free, but it will likely be cheaper to buy online and pay them for install.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on buying new tires. Have been buying my tires from CycleGear for a couple of reasons:

1. Can touch, feel, look over before you buy - know the manufacture date etc.
2. Help keep good local folks employed. The folks that work at the CycleGear here are great people, are into bikes and I don't mind paying more to help them out. Also it's great having somewhere to go get that part for the ride on that really nice day (can't you tell I'm suffering from too much snow - we got about an inch and I had to drive home with all those who don't know how to drive in the snow which is pretty much everyone.)

mattwitt

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions.. Not being very mechanically inclined, would like to take somewhere to take the wheels off and have them changed out. My CycleGear is awesome (even though its an hour away) the guys there are always super friendly.

I do have a Yamaha dealer here close to me, sounds like they aren't bad on the installation, but people are telling to buy online as their tire prices are very high..

I am thinking the new Pilot Road 4, anyone have them? Looks about $330 for a set. I don't mind spending money on quality and on something like this, I don't want to skrimp on something lesser.

PhotoAl: I got my bike in December and have only ridden about 120 miles so far in only 2 rides. Its killing me to get out and ride it! My 6 year old daughter laughs at me because when we leave in the morning, I go give it a hug and say "Oh I can wait for to ride you" then as we are backing out of the garage I say "I love my new motorcycle" as I turn on my high beams to spotlight it... lol -- I do it just to get a rise out of her in the morning.. Weather has been insanely cold in Missouri! Lots of single digits and about every threat of precipitation they throw down cinders (= ball bearings) all over the road..

Blackcombe

Reaction score
Visit site
I just changed my tyres on the bike I've recently purchased, didn't know the tyre history but the shop said i'd still get a few 1000k's out of them, but then i pointed out they had the DOM stamp as 1305 meaning tyres were almost 9 years old. Funny thing was one of the 2 sales men said he'd still run them out and the other said he wouldn't trust them at that age. Me just learning and new to this bike was not risking it for a few extra 1000 k's.
Loving the feel of the new Pirelli Angel GT's on her now.

spine

Reaction score
www.shop4biker.co.uk
From my experience, old tyres don't hold pressure so well and you'll find you'll be riding and losing grip from underneath, especially when you ride over holes (feels as though your bike is being sucked into them). So definitely, change them if they're oldies.