OK to use car battery charger?

mellofelow

Reaction score
Visit site
A few days ago I left the key on and the next day the battery was dead. Desperate, I used my super duper car battery charger. It was a Black&Decker 25 amp charger/starter. This bad boy...

The charger manual did not say anything about motorcycle charging. However I was worried about over cooking the FZ battery. After 15 minutes or so it was good to go.

Can this type of charger do damage to the motorcycle battery?

Black & Decker Power Tools
BlackandDecker-BatteryCharger-BC25EB.jpg

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Well according to the manual, the alternator puts out about 14 volts and 310 Watts, and that comes out to about 22 amps. So after powering the head lights, ignition and other equipment, the battery gets charged with something less... Rectifier is rated at 25 amps as well so IMO it might be on the high side. I've used a similar charger set at 25 amps on my other motorcycle's battery which also drained because of the headlight and it charged it up quick. It was very warm to the touch, but the battery seemed fine. I wouldn't use the 25 amp charger too often though...

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I would avoid using a 25 amp battery charger on a cycle battery or any battery of similar size.

A charger in the 2-5 amp range is more suited for smaller batteries.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would not use a car battery charger, too many amps into a small battery = boiled battery. The batteries in our bikes are "sealed" or VRLA (Valve Regulated Lead Acid) and if charged too quickly, will purge any excess moisture and dry out the battery. Generally motorcycle chargers are below 2 amps and have some sort of "smart" technology to prevent over charging. A 25 amp boost to get the bike started may be OK, but only on an infrequent basis. With what the FZ6 batteries cost, I would invest in a form of smart charger for VRLA batteries.

Here are a few common smart chargers/tenders.

Batterytender.com - Home of All Your Charging Needs

TecMate North America

Yuasa Batteries :: Chargers & Testers

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Well it did work, however a car charger should only be used as a last resort. Perhaps 5 min on 5 off, 3 or 4 times just to get enough juice to start the bike then ride for an hour or so to let the bike charge it.
Best to use a charger for m/c batts.
Yes -you could easily cook your battery with a car charger.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I use a slow charge car charger that puts out about 1.5 amps and is meant to be left on overnight. Using one of the fast-charge do it all in an hour chargers will damage your battery long or short term for sure. If you go to a shop and look at the current that chargers designed for motorcycles put out, you'll see it's usually about 2-4 amps max!

I'm amazed your battery didn't melt, explode or just completely stop working TBH. I wouldn't recommend using that charger again.

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site
At 25 amps, I'm really surprised the battery didn't melt or explode.

I've talked with several Yamaha mechanics at different dealerships as I was concerned about the types of chargers to use, and they tell me that they routinely use a 2-amp setting, due to the type of battery. The books call for a "float" type charger, which is fine, but takes longer.

A "battery tender" will maintain a battery under a no-load condition, but would take forever to actually charge the battery.

Turn that bad boy down, you should be OK. Just don't try that again at 25 amps!! :spank:

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A "battery tender" will maintain a battery under a no-load condition, but would take forever to actually charge the battery.

A battery tender will charge faster than you think. A battery only needs to be down about 30% to prevent decent cranking power. A typical tender will have that battery topped off in an hour, all while not hurting the battery. The VRLA batteries (along with AGM and Gel batteries) absolutely hate high charge rates, and that batteries for the fz6 are at least $100, I can be patient and wait for it to charge. Using jumper cables will do less damage to the battery than a 25 amp car charger.

Heck I use my Optimate III to charge deep cycle boat batteries (trolling motor) and it takes less than 24 hours. Trust me if you have lawn and garden equipment, or hobby vehicles, a tender will save so many headaches. Just rotate the charger between batteries every other week or so. It is nice having fresh batteries every spring!!

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
If I recall correctly, either the FZ manual or the manual that came with my new battery (after I toasted one) said not to charge with more than 2a under any circumstances.

And for those that want to know, I left the keys on on my bike all day at work and after a jump and a long drive home it wouldn't keep a charge.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys, desperate need of help please.
I have an old charger. How do I know when the battery is charged?
I don't have the instruction manual for the charger. It has two settings high and low. I need to charge my car battery. I left my lights on and I have to pick family up later :spank:

Nelly

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys, desperate need of help please.
I have an old charger. How do I know when the battery is charged?
I don't have the instruction manual for the charger. It has two settings high and low. I need to charge my car battery. I left my lights on and I have to pick family up later :spank:

Nelly

do the settings tell what amperage they run at? usually the low is a 2 amp charge and will work without an issue for several hours, i usually run it overnight.

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
If you can't work it out get a jump start Neil. Leave the car for a while and should be fine.

If you are desperate later I think my RAC membership is personal so you may be able to use it if you impersonate me.

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you have an amp meter on the charger, it should draw huge amounts of current at the startup. As the battery becomes charged, the current will fall off. Set for high and let charge for a couple of hours and come back to see where the amps are at. You should be able to turn the engine over by then.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
do the settings tell what amperage they run at? usually the low is a 2 amp charge and will work without an issue for several hours, i usually run it overnight.
Thanks Reio,

I don't know what it runs at, it has nothing written on the back.
When its on high it jumps to 8 and on low its sitting on 6 (i presume amps).
Trouble is I haven't got overnight because of the family.
Its also a maintenance free battery and I don't want to cook it.

Thanks for you help mate.

Oh yeah another stupid question, when its charged will the amp meter go from high to low?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you can't work it out get a jump start Neil. Leave the car for a while and should be fine.

If you are desperate later I think my RAC membership is personal so you may be able to use it if you impersonate me.
Hi Matt,

I asked my neighbour for a jump, and he has a little 1.0 litre, my KIA is a 2.6 V6 diesel.
with his engine running it wouldn't even turn my engine over lol.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you have an amp meter on the charger, it should draw huge amounts of current at the startup. As the battery becomes charged, the current will fall off. Set for high and let charge for a couple of hours and come back to see where the amps are at. You should be able to turn the engine over by then.
Thanks Daryl,

You have just answered the question I have just posted. I am worried about leaving it on the high setting as it is a maintenance free job. I can't remove the caps for it to breath.

Cheers guys

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Daryl,

You have just answered the question I have just posted. I am worried about leaving it on the high setting as it is a maintenance free job. I can't remove the caps for it to breath.

Cheers guys

Maintenance free batteries are VRLA batteries which will not release any water unless you overcharge. 8 amps for a couple of hours won't harm it. Just watch the current and if you want, feel the side of the battery for heat. If it's getting warm, you need to drop the current setting.

Good luck.

P.S. I've done the same with mine just the other year, drained it, threw the charger on 6 amp and a half hour later started it up and went, this is assuming you're going to be driving a while so the car's charging system will take care of the rest.

P.S., P.S. To the OP, our FZ6 batteries are an AGM VRLA battery. Same maintenance free as Nelly's, but smaller in capacity requiring less amounts of current to charge. i wouldn't recommend using a car charger unless as a last resort. If you do, watch the temperature and don't let it sit on 8 amps overnight!:eek:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Maintenance free batteries are VRLA batteries which will not release any water unless you overcharge. 8 amps for a couple of hours won't harm it. Just watch the current and if you want, feel the side of the battery for heat. If it's getting warm, you need to drop the current setting.

Good luck.

P.S. I've done the same with mine just the other year, drained it, threw the charger on 6 amp and a half hour later started it up and went, this is assuming you're going to be driving a while so the car's charging system will take care of the rest.

P.S., P.S. To the OP, our FZ6 batteries are an AGM VRLA battery. Same maintenance free as Nelly's, but smaller in capacity requiring less amounts of current to charge. i wouldn't recommend using a car charger unless as a last resort. If you do, watch the temperature and don't let it sit on 8 amps overnight!:eek:
Thanks Daryl,

Its been on 8 amps for a couple of hours now and the sides are cool as a cucumber.
I have a few hours yet until I have to try picking up my family so I will switch it down to the low setting.
Thanks for all the help guys.

Nelly

mellofelow

Reaction score
Visit site
Nelly, good luck with getting the car running. How far are you driving to pickup family? If all possible, I wouldn't turn off the engine the whole round trip just in case.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks mate,

I was doing an airport run and kept the motor running.
No problems thus far.

Cheers

Nelly