Ok here's a stupid question...

dblaze

Reaction score
Visit site
I am new to riding I struggle to mount my bike with a tail pack because it gets in the way when I swing my leg over. I have just been looking at the bikes loaded for touring & thought I must be doing something wrong if you guys can still mount your bikes with all that gear.
So please tell me what am I doing wrong?
My bike is an FZ6 S2 2008

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
I am new to riding I struggle to mount my bike with a tail pack because it gets in the way when I swing my leg over. I have just been looking at the bikes loaded for touring & thought I must be doing something wrong if you guys can still mount your bikes with all that gear.
So please tell me what am I doing wrong?
My bike is an FZ6 S2 2008

dont swing your leg over, just try to lay your leg on top of the seat, then slide it to the other side.
kinda hard to explain. but it should look like you're kicking someone in the nutz. i think your mistake is trying to do a something like a round-house kick.

unfortunately, cheap kung fu analogies are the best i can do....

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
mount your bike like a horse. Place the bike on the side or center stand, left foot on the left peg, stand on it and swing your leg over. Just like getting on a horse.

I only do this when geared up and loaded to the gunwales.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
mount your bike like a horse. Place the bike on the side or center stand, left foot on the left peg, stand on it and swing your leg over. Just like getting on a horse.

This is what someone i know does, and i probably should do, i have a problem getting my size 46 Sidi boot over my ducktail....which i have scuffed slightly on more than one occasion...the fizzer seems deceptively tall, or aint as flexible as i used to be.

:(

C-bus Biker

Reaction score
Visit site

But be careful.....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxFFLXvPJO4]YouTube - Instructions: How NOT to mount a horse!!![/ame]

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
I've cracked my shin on the grab handle more times than that,when throwing my leg over.Usually when it's freezing cold and by Christ it hurts like a bitch! :D

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Do the bikes in the UK have centre stands? They don't in Australia.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
The base model FZ6N has no center stand.... the premium FZ6S does. :BLAA:

that ruffle your feathers? heheh

oh... just found this on yamaha-motor.com.au

2009_FZ6-SHG_SMX_AU_1.jpg

The 2009 FZ6S in Australia has a center stand too.

(I'm just so cruel!)

Last edited:

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty sure the FZ6N doesn't have a centre stand because thats what invalids need on their bikes, real men and woman have side stands. /counter-ruffle
That and all the extra weight would slow us down :D

This aside when I'm getting on my bike with my heavy wet weather pants on, and the tail pack clipped on the trick I find is to get my knee over first. Its kind of hard to explain but I bend my knee so my leg isn't extended, and put the knee over first, then extend my leg.
Normally I put my whole leg over the back of the bike. After a quick check of course.
As my first instructor said, you never know when someone who likes bike will be standing behind you, staring wide eyed at your wonderful machine (often even a child) and giving them a good kick in the face mounting it isn't the best way of encouraging this awe of motorcycles!!!!!

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As my first instructor said, you never know when someone who likes bike will be standing behind you, staring wide eyed at your wonderful machine (often even a child) and giving them a good kick in the face mounting it isn't the best way of encouraging this awe of motorcycles!!!!!

You seen that movie "Hitch" with Will Smith? There's a scene where he is mounting a wave runner and his girlfriend is sitting on the back and as he swings his leg over and around, he gives her a GREAT roundhouse kick to the noggin that knocks her into the water.:rof::rof::rof: It wasn't the greatest of first dates but I bet similar things happen on bikes occasionally.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 5'- 7" I learn where to place my left foot on the ground with relation to the bike. I swing my right leg up toward the seat with my knee bent as much as possible aiming to get my knee to the other side of the seat before un-bending my leg. As I swing my right leg up I go tippy toe on my left foot for extra clearance. Practice it and you'll see you can do it. I'm on an even taller bike now and it's even harder for me to mount but it works well with the taller bike.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The base model FZ6N has no center stand.... the premium FZ6S does. :BLAA:

that ruffle your feathers? heheh

oh... just found this on yamaha-motor.com.au

2009_FZ6-SHG_SMX_AU_1.jpg

The 2009 FZ6S in Australia has a center stand too.

(I'm just so cruel!)
Suddenly everyone's a comedian!

;)

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
I've cracked my shin on the grab handle more times than that,when throwing my leg over.Usually when it's freezing cold and by Christ it hurts like a bitch! :D

Did that yesterday and it really p*ssed me off. In my passion, I was going to saw those grab rails off but hesitated.

Dennis

FrankieOC82

Reaction score
Visit site
the trick I find is to get my knee over first. Its kind of hard to explain but I bend my knee so my leg isn't extended, and put the knee over first, then extend my leg.
Normally I put my whole leg over the back of the bike. After a quick check of course.

I also use this method, which I guess you could call the chicken wing method; I keep the knee fully bent like a whole chicken wing, go directly over the saddle, then extend. So sounds like the mounting metaphors seem to be either kung-fu or food-based! I find it works well for me

Also, LOL at the mental image of accidentally roundhousing some poor stranger. Good tip!!!

I've never tried standing on the peg first before swinging your leg over while the bike on the center stand. Being short also, this would definitely help out, guess I was always worried the bike would fall over. Just have to be careful, i guess. I'll give it a try tomorrow!