Oil weight for R6 fork swap?

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys. So I picked up a set of R6 forks a while back to put on my 2007 FZ6. I'm going to be freshening them up with new oil and seals before making the swap. I'm about 200lbs plus gear and full Givi luggage. My riding is about 90-95% commuting, with an occasional spirited ride or track day at beginner group.
What fork oil would you guys recommend?

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
To each his own, but with the info you gave, I'd probably try out 10w oil. I used 5w in mine and love it, but I'm 20lbs lighter and no baggage. I could have probably gone up to 7.5w or at the very most 10w, but I didn't want the ride to be too choppy.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Use the recommended 5 wt oil the fork was designed for. It has compression and rebound damping adjustments which is all you need.
>> There is no need to treat it like fork w/out adjustable valving by compensating w/different viscosities.

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
Use the recommended 5 wt oil the fork was designed for. It has compression and rebound damping adjustments which is all you need.
>> There is no need to treat it like fork w/out adjustable valving by compensating w/different viscosities.
Oh yes, I forgot that he was talking about R6 forks.. derp.

Do what FinalImpact said.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh yes, I forgot that he was talking about R6 forks.. derp.
It's ok, I only mentioned it twice- once in the title and once in the post. :p

Thanks guys, I'll go with 5W. I have the 03-04 R6 repair manual, it calls for "01" suspension oil, which googling led me to find its equal to 5W. I wasn't sure if the suspension geometry differences between the R6 and FZ6 required anything different.