Oil valve?

Oblinox

Reaction score
Visit site
so i want to replace the plug on my fz its still the stock one that came with it its getting a bit worn... i came across this online and was wondering what you guys think i think it looks like a really good idea alot less mess and its cheap considering it shouldnt have to be replaced ever?
OpenDNS
heres the link to the one that should fit the fz post up your comments!!! :thumbup:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
so i want to replace the plug on my fz its still the stock one that came with it its getting a bit worn... i came across this online and was wondering what you guys think i think it looks like a really good idea alot less mess and its cheap considering it shouldnt have to be replaced ever?
OpenDNS
heres the link to the one that should fit the fz post up your comments!!! :thumbup:

$25 to replace a bolt that should go for less than $5? Buy the replacement OEM drain plug, and spend the rest on a good quality 6 point box end wrench so you don't round off the replacement.

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
^^^^^^^ what he said.

Drain plugs are much harder to tamper with and no matter what the advertising blurb says, ball valves do fail.

dbz_fz

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks cool but not sure its worth it. If the bike had a full fairing it might serve as more of a functional item. But the oil is so easy to change on the FZ6 that I don't see justifying the $25 for this. I just picked up a new plug at the dealer a few weeks ago for $5 and change. And what happens when it fails and you end up riding on an oil slick.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I like it but agree with the above.

If it was in a really tight place and hard to get at then I would pay up and try the new one. Fortunately the drain plug on the FZ6 is easy to get at.

Now on the other hand if they have something for spark plugs.............................

Steve

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If your going to replace your drain plug, I'd look at the drain plug from the rear drive unit on an FJR1300. It should fit (I believe its the same size) however its got a magnetic insert for attracting any steel particles..

Scott

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
If your going to replace your drain plug, I'd look at the drain plug from the rear drive unit on an FJR1300. It should fit (I believe its the same size) however its got a magnetic insert for attracting any steel particles..

Scott

That's a good idea...... to take it one step further, why not magnetize the drian bolt you already have?

The magnets out of a HDD are certainly strong enough to do the job. All you'd have to do is draw the bolt accross the magnet 10-15 times.

Next oil change, I'll do this. Thanks for the idea.:cheer:

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
That is a GREAT idea!

Only if it's a quality product.

Those magnets are generally glued onto the drain plug. What happens to the magnet when it comes off the plug? It sticks to anything steel - like your transmission shafts.

08-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Only if it's a quality product.

Those magnets are generally glued onto the drain plug. What happens to the magnet when it comes off the plug? It sticks to anything steel - like your transmission shafts.

Good point, I would want a magnetized drain plug & not just a glued on magnet. Very good point.....

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What I'm referring to is a GENIUNE Yamaha part designed to attract metal particles in a gear (differential) box (no oil filter of course)................

If you check most lower dirve units on an outboard boat engine, (I have a 150HP, 4 stroke Yamaha) it also has a magnetized drain plug.. That part is factory stock (different threads).

My old Goldwing, 04, ALSO had a magnitized drain plug in the rear drive unit as well from the factory.....

I suspect it coming apart under normal use is quite unlikely......

Scott