Oil pump chain - advice please! (video)

lukaledoux

Reaction score
Visit site
I have posted a link here to a video I just took this morning. It is a bottom's up view of my oil sump area, addressing the oil pump chain setup. The sprocket has some side to side play in it and the chain has some play, just wondering whether anyone knows whether this is normal or potentially an issue?

The oil sump has been very fairly noisy on my bike and I suspected a loose chain, although this chain does not have a tensioner so it naturally will have some play in it. There just isn't any information on what might be too much..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP3LgcAGUYc&index=1&list=UUfd-67L_qwBybSeL6jlUqKA

Last edited:

lukaledoux

Reaction score
Visit site

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The total play doesn't look bad, can you peek with a flashlight and ascertain if the chain has been rubbing on the case? I've seen MUCH looser here on the forum...

The side to side shaft play is a bit, but I'm 99% sure there are no shims to tighten it up. (you can't even shim up the gear box). I wouldn't worry about that..

The one thing I did notice is when you pulled the chain on the sprocket (same as you would on your rear drive chain sprocket) appeared to be a bit on the loose side, ie, the chain looked like it pulled 1/4 to a 1/3 away from the teeth... Can you put an approx % on that?

I double checked the manuals and they want you replacing all the sprockets, chain etc as a set if need be.

I can't say for certain its toast, but your halfways there now to replacing it.

If your pretty sure that its the chain, IMO, change it and the sprockets out and be done with it.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd still like to know and/or hear what the original noise was. I personally don't think replacing the chain gears or whole pump for that matter is going to make much if any noise go away. Tho admittedly, I don't know what the noise is!

The pumps rotor is driven by a pin through that flat shaft. It has lots of end play so no load is imposed upon the rotor inside. That is normal. IMO - unless the pump ate chunks from **something else going bad**, that loose chain is a happy chain and its not likely to make much if any noise.

I hope you find what your looking for....