Oil/Filter Change

J

Japbiker

Owner's Manual states that the FZ6's engine holds 2.96 qt's of oil with filter replacement. Is it ok to pour in a full 3 qt's? What difference could .04 qt's too much make?

Do most of you guys use 3 full bottles or do you not use the whole amount of the last bottle in hopes of just using a total of 2.96 qt's?

S

Shamus McFeeley

Three quarts will be o.k. That .04 won't matter much. It is when you start adding half a quart or more over that you can get oil aeration (oil looks foamy when you check it) which leads to pump cavitation and eventually failure.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I fill it to the level on the dipstick and check it again after the first ride.

I did it just before I went to france and back and the mark has not moved.

Steve

C

CombatPenguin

I just started using supertech filters which and about 1/2 inch longer than stock so I just put the whole 3 quarts in.

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well yes I am a noob and feel stupid now. I was so worried about that 0.04 of a quart I filled the bike with two full quarts and then little at a time filled the bike and kelpt checking the stick til it was just right. O I also would start the engine after oil appeared on the stick to warm the oil to make sure I was getting a warm oil check.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, ditto on everybody else. .04 quart is aprox. 1.5 ounces. Probably about the amount that remained in the 3 plastic bottles after you poured.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i would guess that the .04 quarts is equivilent to the oil that stays coated on the inside of the bottles, so not to worry too much about it. Go by the dipstick and if you are at the full mark then you are good.

cobalt

Cobalt '08
Reaction score
Visit site
Good Question !
& good answers
My problem lately is that I'm having trouble reading the dipstick with synthetic oil (Rotella T).

PrayHarder

Keep on driving !
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i would guess that the .04 quarts is equivilent to the oil that stays coated on the inside of the bottles, so not to worry too much about it. Go by the dipstick and if you are at the full mark then you are good.

I put in all 3 quarts and figure the same about the oil left in the bottles.

Ben

jsp

Easyrider
Reaction score
Visit site

If the oil is at the FULL mark or a BIT BELOW the FULL MARK, that's good.

Oil Above the FULL MARK is not a good option. The mark is there for a reason, otherwise it could be: "fill to the top..."

paul1149

Riding with the King
Reaction score
Visit site
I personally hold back a little. I'd rather be down a tad than over, and the little that's left I use to top off in a couple thou miles. The crosshatch area on the stick covers a lot of volume, so it's easy to stay within the safe range when holding back.

Good luck.
p.

C

CombatPenguin

I've been using those filters for the last 2 oil changes. The bike has 6500 miles now I did the frist change at 600 and the second at 1200 using yamaha filters. I try to change the oil every 2500 miles or so.