Oil Change Problem!

malicious439

The Technician
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I know this seems stupid but....I can't get the oil drain bolt off!

I've done several oil changes on cars no problem! But I cannot seem to get this bolt off.

I've tried that special spray grease that loosens bolts and everything. I've attempt to pull soo hard on the wrench that I dragged my bike about 5 inches back and nearly tipped it over!

When I purchased the bike that guy i got it from had just done the oil change, he said he did it himself. So idk what to do I have everything I need and i would MUCH rather do this myself them then pay a shop a grip for something incredibly simple.

I've pulled engines out of cars and installed turbo kits on tuner cars why cant I get this damn bolt off?!:(

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure the engine is hot. Tap the drain plug straight on. In other words shock the plug so it fractures what has seized it. When you get it warm the atoms in molecules will have accelerated and are are more movable.

no.1partsguy

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
Visit site
Moto has a good point, something to also consider that you are actually loosening the bolt and not tightening it lefty=loosy counter clockwise, righty=tighty clockwise. It is a steel bolt into an aluminum case so be careful you don't strip it out. As a last resort you can gently warm the bolt with a torch and tap it with a hammer be careful not to go crazy with the heat, the threads are only aluminum in the case. Good luck let us know how it works out.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Exactly. I usually heat around the bolt and not the bolt because I want the bolt head and thread to stay cooler and harder and the outer thread area more excited....
I can't begin to tell you how many jammed nut, bolts and broken threads I've had to deal with. Wear safety eye wear!
I wacked the head of a flat head allen bolt that was stuck in an injection mold once. The head exploded and I had to go to the emergency room to get the shrapnel out! :eek: Didn't really know it was in there cuz I just felt a really bad sting and saw a crescent shaped opening in my hand. It puffed up pretty quick!:rolleyes:

malicious439

The Technician
Reaction score
Visit site
hmm ill have to try the tapping method see if that works. I know how to remove bolts as well...I would consider car engines and all related mechanics in the engine bay to be much more complex that this simple drain bolt.

I've already run the engine for 5+min or even went on a short ride then attempted to remove it without luck. Im going to take it to my friends with an airtool kit to see if it helps:BLAA:

Thanks for the advice

Last edited:

Taku

Not a senile member.
Reaction score
Visit site
As mentioned before try hitting with a hammer a few times.

And if it doesn't work try to get your hands on an impact wrench. Did the trick for me.

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
May be the safest way against broken threads is to change the oil is with an oil extracting pump. I've never tried with a motorbike but, a guy has changed my car's oil with that pump thing.

You put the pipe to oil inlet and suck it with that pump :)

PEL-PL-650_med__93126_zoom.jpg

TampaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
There is another option called - Freeze-IT. That would freeze the steel bolt and shrink it. I use mostly for rusted bolts but a co-worker used it on non-rusted brake bolts on a car and it worked. Freeze-it sells in local auto stores.

Another option is a impact wrench with about 125psi, you may not have a compressor but thought I would mention.

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
An obvious point, of course, but are you sure you are trying to undo the 11mm bolt directly beneath the oil filter and not some other fastener? When I did my first oil change from the factory fill it was on tight but I used an 11mm box end wrench and tapped on the end a couple of times with a hammer to loosen it up.

dstaffx

Reaction score
Visit site
What about a power bar to get more leverage. Just be sure you got the right size socket/spanner as you don't wanna damage the nut head

NearOn

Reaction score
Visit site
I had same problem with my first oil change did on the bike few days ago, in the end, as my socket wrench was not budging it at all, I got a tighter fit with a spanner, and then gave the spanner a wack with a rubber hammer, and hey presto, this loosened the bolt..........................Then I was so glad I loosened it, I proceeded to unscrew it, and forgot I had not lined up the oil drainer, and it went all over me and the floor. Ahwell lesson learnt!

DDS

Reaction score
Visit site
Hope you manage to do it!

My old YBR 125 had it's oil thread stripped before I got it, and was helicoiled. The problem was whoever changed the oil then over tightened the nut so when I came to change the oil I could not get a seal :(.

I had to get the whole rebored and made slightly bigger.

Thats when I bought an extraction pump! - they work really well but I can't help thinking I'm missing some when I do it

malicious439

The Technician
Reaction score
Visit site
An obvious point, of course, but are you sure you are trying to undo the 11mm bolt directly beneath the oil filter and not some other fastener? When I did my first oil change from the factory fill it was on tight but I used an 11mm box end wrench and tapped on the end a couple of times with a hammer to loosen it up.

You had me scared there for a second, I ran out and checked to make sure I wasn't a complete moron, its actually a 17mm bolt. I went around the bike to make sure it wasn't a 11mm bolt i missed.

But ya rechecked for correct position, 17mm it is and still not budging.