Oil change drastically affect clutch?

Parisherj

Reaction score
Visit site
Picked up a horribly neglected 05FZ6 with 23k on it. After a few hundred miles and everything seemed OK pulled some maintenance on it. Changed all the fluids new plugs and fix a bunch of piddly stuff. And after changing the oil I put about 50 miles on it and gained a lot of free play in the clutch lever to the point it wouldn't disengage. I just put out the free play and now the clutch seems to pull easier and seems to work just fine. The old oil was like syrup and the filter had surface rust on it so I knew fresh oil would make a difference just not that big of a difference. Does this seem normal? I don't want to tear into the clutch if I don't have to but I don't wanted to leave me sitting either.

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It doesn't seem like you are in "normal" territory since the bike was so poorly maintained. It sounds good that the clutch seems to work better. I'd guess that there was some sort of build-up in the casing and the new oil loosened it up. In that case you should probably change it again after a few hundred miles so you get that sludge out.

Usually we hear about problems caused by oil changes where the owner has not used motorcycle-type oil. Oil for cars or ATVs contain more additives that will cause the clutch to slip.

Good luck!

Chris

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Are sure the cable didn't just stretch? Like if it was stiff and dry/crunchy, it may be fraying and stretching which leads to breaking...

I lube it w engine oil 3x a year...

Parisherj

Reaction score
Visit site
Cable stretch crossed my mind but just thought it happened to fast to be that. Looked over the cable and it seems to be ok. At least at the ends I can see are. I think I might go ahead and replace the cable just for cheap insurance. I rode it about 20 miles back to the house afterwards and it never changed. Gonna take it out some more local and see if it feels any different before I tear the cover off and look at the clutch itself.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Plus one on all the above.

Well, the clutch isn't slipping and dis-engages.

At this point, I wouldn't pull the clutch apart but would service the clutch cable
or better yet, since its NOT been maintained, just replace it (and lube).

Its cheap enough and just for peace of mind...

Last edited: