Oh no, another sprocket thread!

Soap

Reaction score
Visit site
Just a few questions guys, had a quick search but seemed to be a lot of debate and I need a definative answer.

1) Am I right in saying that sprockets do not affect BHP as that is what the engine produces?

2) Are there any sprockets that will not void manufacturers warranty?

3) Am I also right in saying that it will not knock the speedo out a huge amount at 70-80mph?

Thanks,

Matt.

davidsa1

Naked is more fun.
Reaction score
Visit site
1) That's correct, they do not change the HP output of the engine just the torque.

2) If they can prove that the sprocket caused the damage it would void that work being covered by the warrenty.

3) That would depend on what gear ratio you end up running.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Just a few questions guys, had a quick search but seemed to be a lot of debate and I need a definative answer.

1) Am I right in saying that sprockets do not affect BHP as that is what the engine produces?

2) Are there any sprockets that will not void manufacturers warranty?

3) Am I also right in saying that it will not knock the speedo out a huge amount at 70-80mph?

Thanks,

Matt.

1. Correct. No effect on HP.

2. It will not void the warranty less the fault is related directly to the sprocket. Let's say you fail to tighten it and it comes off - causing the chain to fly off and damaging the bike. That would be your fault.

However, if you made the sprocket switch and your front brake caliper came off (like mine nearly did!) you'd have NOTHING to worry about in terms of your warranty coverage - except for the fact that you might die of course.....(can you tell I'm still bitter about the loose caliper I received on my 'thoroughly safety checked' FZ6 when it came new from the dealer? - rant over)

3. It will alter the speedo (and apparently the odometer too). I went +1 on the front (not the choice of most riders), and it actually corrected the error on the stock speedo, but supposedly it will throw off the odometer (haven't verified that yet). Going -1 on the front and/or +2 on the back is likely going to throw off the stock speedo error even more. You can get a speedo healer to fix that though, or just ride with a GPS, or compensate in your head as you ride.

B

bluenova

Can I add another ignorant question...

4) Will it effect fuel consumption, or is top speed the only sacrifice?

danfree

Reaction score
Visit site

My thought would be, "It depends". If the gas mileage is related to rpm's of the engine, then it may diminish your mpg, IF you gear down. That is to say, if you gear down to get more torque. You will spin the engine faster at your favorite cruising speed. My bike, with stock gearing, turns about 5500 rpm at 65 mph. If I wanted to 'gear down' then at the same speed it will turn faster. I don't know how much and I don't know how much mph is affected. But there are many others who have done just that and they would know. IF you gear up, the opposite should happen. You will lose some low end torque, but theoretically your mpg may go up because your engine is spinning slower at a given speed.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site

It probably would... If.... the engine has to work harder pulling a taller gear... or if it has to spin faster with a shorter gear. Both of these condtions will affect fuel consumption...

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
With a 15t front sprocket installed, in 6th gear @ 100 kph (62.5 mph) my engine spins at 6000 rpm.

That's a bit higher rpm than with the OEM 16t front sprocket.

My speedo has been corrected with a Speedohealer and comparitive GPS speeds to confirm accuracy. My stock speedo reading (with 16t sprocket) read 109 kph at a true 100 kph.
However, I find that I now can upshift sooner, and ride in a higher gear than before, particularly in town.
As a result, my gas "mileage" hasn't been affected that much, if at all.