Official CHP release: Lane Splitting 101

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
13Ft95.Hi.4.jpeg
1sdzKE.Xl.4.gif

February 7, 2013, THE SACRAMENTO BEE (front page article )

California Highway Patrol posts rules for legal lane-splitting by motorcyclists - Transportation - The Sacramento Bee.

The California Highway Patrol has issued official guidelines for lane splitting. Graphics included (find CHP website at: California Highway Patrol - Home Page, under "CHP Programs" and click "California Motorcyclist Safety.")

Guidelines also cite laws prohibiting cagers from impeding lane splitters.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So above 30 mph is illegal good to know I feel bad when people move wayyyy over for me to pass and inm not going to pass now ;(

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I wish the conservative redneck retards that run the state of Arizona would use this.

We passed the bill in 2011 to allow lane splitting but moronic Jan Brewer said she couldn't see the benefit of it, and that she thought it would increase the number of motorcycle accidents.

I specifically am wanting filtering, I hate sitting at stop lights, just waiting for someone to plow into me. Especially since we don't have a law making texting/talking on the phone illegal here.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I wish the conservative redneck retards that run the state of Arizona would use this.

We passed the bill in 2011 to allow lane splitting but moronic Jan Brewer said she couldn't see the benefit of it, and that she thought it would increase the number of motorcycle accidents.

I specifically am wanting filtering, I hate sitting at stop lights, just waiting for someone to plow into me. Especially since we don't have a law making texting/talking on the phone illegal here.

Who's Jan Brewer?

She must come out of her closet and take notice that incidents like this could had been avoided if filtering/splitting were legal. It was a pretty big group so not sure if everyone would have survived, but from an individual standpoint, we can certainly avoid these kinds of situations.

Tragic Arizona motorcycle accident nears legal end | Clutch and Chrome

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Who's Jan Brewer?

She must come out of her closet and take notice that incidents like this could had been avoided if filtering/splitting were legal. It was a pretty big group so not sure if everyone would have survived, but from an individual standpoint, we can certainly avoid these kinds of situations.

Tragic Arizona motorcycle accident nears legal end | Clutch and Chrome

The amazing thing is this tragedy happened in 2010, and the bill to make lane splitting legal passed in 2011. She didn't care about the bikers that were hit. And another one of her excuses was she thought drivers wouldn't know how to react. But obviously if they can get the same news story to run for days on the channels here and in the print, I think they could get the word out. If the CHP can create a simple and clear jpeg that explains the whole deal, then I don't see why AZ has to be so backward.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm confused. I'm not sure what the AZ tragedy has to do with lane splitting. Is the idea that whenever you're coming to a stop, you should split lanes to put yourself at the front of the intersection?

I guess that's possible, but even if it were legal in my state, I'm not sure I'd do that just because I could. I'd likely just wait in line with everyone else. I see most of the advantages of lane splitting involving heavily backed up traffic, not routine stops, but maybe that's just me.

david323

Can't Re Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
And another one of her excuses was she thought drivers wouldn't know how to react.

We know, of course, that they would react like they always do - either with nonchalance OR with extreme ignorance and/or displeasure (and try something stupid like opening a door). At least that has been my experience with the drivers around me...

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
I lived in Cali for years and now it's hard not to! Why not every where? MCN did a survey and lane splitting is actually safer(if the privilege is not abused) I guess there is an advantage after all for being in a "progressive" state though 200$ speeding tickets on my mt bike for exceeding 15mph thanks to the sierra club on Mt Tam chased me out.

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't seen much benefit of the idea of splitting where I live back in kc, although I would definitely enjoy it. But here in manhattan ks I would love to be allowed to split or atleast filter. It's a small town but a lot of traffic because it's a college town so traffic can get very frustrating.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Most of us live in an area that doesn't have the population or the amount of traffic to support the necessity to split while traffic is moving. Although Vegas would have been a great place to split but since moving to Idaho, I find very little reason for the need to split while traffic is moving. There is no such thing as traffic here.

However, I do agree allowing motorcycles to filter while traffic has slowed or stopped to get to the front of the intersection should be legal everywhere.

Motorcycles have no crumple zones, and are much more vunlerable when encountering a collision from behind. Even though rear end collisions involving motorcycles account less than 10%, the injuries sustained can be serious or even result in death. Motorcycles are less visible from the rear versus the front, so this is another reason to support why motorcycles should be allowed to filter to the front so that the vehicles behind can be used as a form or protection.

Bottom line, I aways watch my six whenever I come to a stop. I never relax, my bike is in gear and my clutch lever is squeezed in until I know that the vehicle behind is going to stop. I will never assume, I'm not going to trust some stranger whether he or she is paying attention.

Last edited:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Kinda quirky how CHP (or at least the graphic in the newspaper) doesn't recommend lane splitting between wide profile vehiicles. I can't tell you how many trucks I've passed lane splitting in freeway backups. It's where the sport bikes such as ours can squeeze by where Harley riders sometimes can't make it. Geez, if I followed that recommendation it'd be a game changer since semis often account for a large share of interstate traffic. I appreciate how, it seems, truckers are aware of motorcyclists needing a minimum space in order to lane split past them and rarely don't leave enough clearance for us in such jams. I like truckers: professional drivers. In fact, I find that the vast majority of CA motorists extend courtesy/practice highway etiquette to sane lane-splitting riders. Now, if only California will get with it and join Colorado and Washington and legalize pot. ;)

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm confused. I'm not sure what the AZ tragedy has to do with lane splitting. Is the idea that whenever you're coming to a stop, you should split lanes to put yourself at the front of the intersection?

I guess that's possible, but even if it were legal in my state, I'm not sure I'd do that just because I could. I'd likely just wait in line with everyone else. I see most of the advantages of lane splitting involving heavily backed up traffic, not routine stops, but maybe that's just me.

Most car-motorcycle collisions are from the bike being rear ended, because they are hard to avoid from a stop. splitting/filtering brings this figure of rear endings down over 60%. there is another thread on here called "Interesting Take on Lane Splitting" i believe, it has a good video about it.

Wish the rest of America would allow splitting, instead of just CA.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Oregon - some just do it anyway. Not me, but I see a point of contention. People here battle over a single position. If a bike were to move to front at a single - the temper ridden group would run your @ss down at the next opportunity. People have issues here in town. About 50% are not very forgiving - and I say that based upon need not want. i.e. NEED to be in that lane to exit or turn vs want to be there. Way too uptight is the population. Its pathetic.

For you folks in CA that do, how does negotiating the drunk bumps work out when thats "your lane"? That seems dangerous (round discs for lane dividers).

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Most of us live in an area that doesn't have the population or the amount of traffic to support the necessity to split while traffic is moving. Although Vegas would have been a great place to split but since moving to Idaho, I find very little reason for the need to split while traffic is moving. There is no such thing as traffic here.

However, I do agree allowing motorcycles to filter while traffic has slowed or stopped to get to the front of the intersection should be legal everywhere.

Motorcycles have no crumple zones, and are much more vunlerable when encountering a collision from behind. Even though rear end collisions involving motorcycles account less than 10%, the injuries sustained can be serious or even result in death. Motorcycles are less visible from the rear versus the front, so this is another reason to support why motorcycles should be allowed to filter to the front so that the vehicles behind can be used as a form or protection.

Bottom line, I aways watch my six whenever I come to a stop. I never relax, my bike is in gear and my clutch lever is squeezed in until I know that the vehicle behind is going to stop. I will never assume, I'm not going to trust some stranger whether he or she is paying attention.

Hey Vegas I think the study your referring to it was something like 5 or 6% of accidents were rear enders and the scary part is like 30% of the fatalities were rear enders. I hate sitting at lights with so many bimbos driving around and sexting their douch bag boyfriends in Phoenix/Scottsdale. I gave this poor girl a heartattack at a light this week cause she was stopped, started driving and didn't even look up from her phone. I've called out friends riding in their cage because they all start reaching for their phone coming up to red lights. I tell them you give me $hit about riding a motorcycle but it's stuff like that is what is going to kill me.

Most car-motorcycle collisions are from the bike being rear ended, because they are hard to avoid from a stop. splitting/filtering brings this figure of rear endings down over 60%. there is another thread on here called "Interesting Take on Lane Splitting" i believe, it has a good video about it.

Wish the rest of America would allow splitting, instead of just CA.

The Ride Apart video was pretty good. I think the best point is that if people would chill out, they would listen to that stat about that if 10% of motorist became motorcyclist then traffic in a city like LA would be better by 40%.

Oregon - some just do it anyway. Not me, but I see a point of contention. People here battle over a single position. If a bike were to move to front at a single - the temper ridden group would run your @ss down at the next opportunity. People have issues here in town. About 50% are not very forgiving - and I say that based upon need not want. i.e. NEED to be in that lane to exit or turn vs want to be there. Way too uptight is the population. Its pathetic.

For you folks in CA that do, how does negotiating the drunk bumps work out when thats "your lane"? That seems dangerous (round discs for lane dividers).

I thought Oregon was all hippy lovefest, choking down granola and reeking of patchoule.

In AZ we don't have turtles (drunk bumps) instead they dig little notches in the road and spray white lines in there I think Cali is the same from what I remember). It's the rainy states that use turtle reflectors because those don't become submerged.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like the CHP post about lane filtering is doing some good.

Washington State has taken notice because of it and now is considering legalizing since it's an immediate solution to relieve traffic congestion.

You don't have to be Washington Resident in order to sign the petition.

https://www.change.org/petitions/wa...g-lane-splitting-by-motorcycles-in-congestion

That's awesome. I grew up in WA. I lived 26 miles away form my high school (Bishop O'Dea High) and had a 35 minute commute if I left before the peak traffic hours. But if I was 5 minutes later than I was supposed to I'd be stuck in traffic and that drive would take an hour and half.

We had one teacher who would ride to school. He was a bad ass. He had like an old as hell rusty Honda that he would suit up in his full rain slicker and dishwasher gloves to ride to and from school. I always respected him for that and that he threw this a-hole Stewart across the room for mouthing off. LOL

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
This guest editorial (pasted below) is in response to the CHP guidelines/Sacramento Bee article.

Well, I think this writer sounds like some super sensitive whimp :eek:. I drive more than I ride sometimes and rarely (maybe once or twice in my lifetime) do "motorcycles rocket past" inches away in between lanes on a highway. He also mentions that CA is the only state that permits lane splitting. Well, okay, but in most of the world it's common practice and people don't get panties in a bunch over it. Writer also remarks about angry responses. Geez, should riders start neener-nenner, nanner-nannerying about some discourteous, tailgating and lousy driver that one has encountered?

Foon Rhee: Can't we all share the highway safely? - Editorials - The Sacramento Bee

Foon Rhee: Can't we all share the highway safely?

By Foon Rhee
[email protected]

Published: Tuesday, Feb. 12, 2013 - 12:00 am | Page 8A

For me, one of the most unnerving parts of driving in California is when motorcycles rocket past, inches away, in between lanes on the freeway.

While lane-splitting is legal – California is the only state that allows it – the law is murky. So it's about time that state officials have come up with some common-sense rules of the road.

Under the first-ever written guidelines on lane-splitting, motorcyclists should go no more than 10 mph faster than other traffic and not do so when traffic is going 30 mph or faster. Also, it's advised to go between the lanes farthest to the left and to avoid the maneuver near onramps and exits.

The combined impact? Bikers would go no faster than 39 mph when lane-splitting. As anyone who ventures on highways knows, some are going much faster than that when they speed past long lines of stopped cars.

Sgt. Mark Pope of the California Highway Patrol says the guidelines are meant only to educate the driving public. Since they're not in the law, violating them won't mean a ticket. Since they're entirely voluntary, they will only make a difference if motorcyclists actually follow them.

Vehicle drivers are also part of the safety equation. The California Office of Traffic Safety, which also worked on the guidelines, admonishes motorists that it is illegal to intentionally impede a motorcycle and that they "should not take it upon themselves to discourage motorcyclists from lane-splitting."

As The Bee's Tony Bizjak reported, 7 percent of drivers in a recent survey said they have tried to block a lane-splitting cycle; only 53 percent knew lane-splitting was legal, if done "in a safe and prudent manner."

Motorcyclists are the ones who are at most risk. There were 414 motorcycle fatalities in California in 2011, a 15 percent increase from 2010. Deaths had dropped dramatically in 2009 after 11 years of increases.

The state has contracted with UC Berkeley researchers to study all collisions involving motorcycles, including whether motorcyclists are wearing helmets, drinking or lane-splitting. The yearlong study is just starting. Depending on the findings, more safety measures could be recommended.

Many motorcyclists won't be happy even with these voluntary guidelines. In the survey, 87 percent said they lane-split. They say that it protects them from being rear-ended by cars, and that many motorcycle engines can quickly overheat if they have to idle in traffic.

I know this because when I wrote about this subject in California Forum in November 2010, I received some irate emails and got flamed on blogs. One motorcyclist challenged me to take a ride with him; I took a pass.

At the risk of more angry responses, I think these guidelines are a good start – and I bet a lot of drivers agree.

The goal is to make our highways safer for everyone, motorcyclists included. There shouldn't be any argument about that.

© Copyright The Sacramento Bee. All rights reserved.

Read more here: Foon Rhee: Can't we all share the highway safely? - Editorials - The Sacramento Bee

Last edited: