Texas - Lane Splitting Laws

A

Aggietaco

I just came across this on another forum and thought it was good infor to share. I just got off the phone with my local Rep's office and faxed and mailed them a letter as well.

While I'm not 100% set on the safety of lane splitting, others are and I'd like it to be an option for all.

THIS IS NOT A THREAD TO DEBATE, BUT TO TAKE ACTION.
Start a new thread if you wish to debate.

interested in legalizing lane-sharing? do something about it. - MotoHouston.com

To those who have paid attention, raging debats have gone on about lane filtering in the US. I'm going to post a generic letter. PLEASE if you actually care anything about motorcyclists and their safety and rights:

1. Email [email protected] to advise them you were made aware that they are researching and thinking about submitting bill to House in January 2009 promotting lane filtering and you support motorcyclists having this right.

2. Go to: Texas House of Representatives and find your representative.

3. Add in your name and his information and email him the letter.

4. EMAIL THIS THREAD TO EVERY MOTORCYCLIST YOU KNOW TO GET THE SUPPORT WE NEED. We must have grassroots contact with as many state reps as possible. Post this on every forum you are part of, and lets make a step for motorcylists rights in the great state of Texas.

5. Even if you WOULDN'T lane split, you should support the right to if you choose. Its common in many foriegn countries where riding a motorcycle isn't a luxury but a common form of transportation. Its about support the RIGHT to if we so choose. Its about making the motorcycle a more viable option for commuting. And its about taking a step from changing the mentality of motorcyles as "toys and luxury" to a choice of transportation and a passion. Its about having the option to do something to promote motorcylists safety.

General Letter to Send to State Rep

Dear State Representative.

I believe an issue critical to the rights and safety of motorcyclists in our state has an opportunity to be brought forward by State Representative Gary Elkins this next legislature session of 2009. I would like to bring it to your attention and please ask that you review it, and also contact Gary Elkins office to support this bill.

His office contact email is: [email protected]

Debra Clounts his Chief of staff is currently handling the research on this issue to gather relevant information and support. Please contact her to advise her of your support or to gain more information.

I would like to bring to your attention an issue that has been mentioned to Law Enforcement committee and continued to sit there since 2005. I think, perhaps, the significance of this bill to the motorcycling community has been devalued, or perhaps not appreciated. HB 1522 was submitted in 2005 for review regarding legalizing “lane splitting”. The proper term I will use is “lane filtering” or “lane sharing”.

Lane sharing, in essence, is allowing a motorcycle to go between the lanes of congested traffic to bypass the stop and go of car traffic. This is permitted only on the dotted white, inside, lanes (not next to incoming traffic or the curb). California is currently the only state allowing it, and it has been greatly beneficial to many motorcyclists commuting there, reducing their commute dramatically., and improving their safety. California Highway Patrol (CHP) was the pioneer of this utilizing the empty space between cars to travel and perform their duties. They allowed and encouraged the other motorcyclists on the road to do the same, mainly for its uses to prevent engine damage (many motorcycle engines are air-cooled, thus needing movement to prevent damage), commute efficiency, and safety.

Stop and go traffic is one of the most feared types of riding for motorcyclists, mainly due to the visibility of a motorcycle, and unprotected by any safety devices other than their own gear, they can be severely injured. Being rear ended by a car in stop and go traffic can be anything from just an normal accident to physically crippling to a motorcyclist due to the lack of protection. Also take into account that a safe and prudent cyclist wears full gear, i.e. gloves, vest, boots, pants, and full-faced helmet, the Texas weather can be extremely hot, to the point of heatstroke.

Lane sharing is common in California, and in many other foreign countries. The main issue that I believe has held it up from approval is the misconception of protecting motorcyclists from doing something dangerous. As CHP could testify, for a motorcycle, to keep moving between cars at a safe (no more than 10 over traffic speed), is safer than stop-and-go behind another vehicle.
For those with lower incomes a motorcycle provides a financial freedom from having to maintain and buy a car. The gas mileage on a motorcycle can easily go over 50 miles to the gallon, this type of economical travel should be encouraged. Basically the state of Texas is adding 2+ HOV lanes for motorcycles by doing this, reducing further vehicle congestion.

To summarize the benefits.
1. Motorcycles that are air-cooled are prevented from engine damage during congestion
2. Rider safety is promoted by continuing to move through traffic rather than sit and potentially be rear ended to the injury of the rider.
3. Rider health promoted by movement, air is the only coolant a motorcyclist is provided.
4. More motorcyclists are encouraged to commute due to the benefits or less problems with traffic congestion, and overheating.
5. Less gas, and less smog/pollution, per a motorcyclist is able to get to location quickly, rather than sit behind a car, emitting fumes while sitting on idle.

Negatives
1. People will construe it as “cutting in line”. Answer: Motorcyclists do not have the benefit of protection, airbags, and air climate controlled. To keep moving helps their safety, and reduces the traffic waiting in line, benefiting everyone.
2. Some can construe it as dangerous. Answer: While the idea initially may seem dangerous to those who are uninitiated into the practice, it is safer for a motorcyclist to travel with this added benefit.
3. “Why should a motorcyclist be given special rights, when I have to wait in line” Common objection. A motorcycle moving through traffic actually takes up ZERO traffic space and causes no one inconvenience. It also is safer for a motorcyclist to continue to move than sit and potentially be overlooked by a merging car, or car behind them.

I believe many in Houston garage their motorcycles many times rather than riding because of the aggressive driving of many large vehicles, and the stop and go traffic accentuates the heat, and the danger. Promoting this bill would be a tremendous step towards promoting the motorcycle as a viable and beneficial option for commuting

The bills should be modified from requiring health insurance, since it is a normal traffic procedure, any responsible motorcyclist should be able to take advantage of this opportunity, especially the lower income that this could affect.

Also the requirement of filtering only when at a standstill defeats part of the purpose, which is stop and go traffic and congestion. I believe we should listen to the normal practice of CHP, which is allowing filtering when traffic is congested, and done safely at not more than 10 mph than the current traffic. The general practice is allowed at 35 mph and below, and at no more than 10 mph faster than the traffic.

The Hurt Study is the only definitive thorough study done on motorcycle accidents and according to it, being able to move through traffic by riding between slow/stopped traffic was safer than sitting in stop and go and having the potential for a rear end collision. Remember that a rear end collision at low speed is merely an inconvenience to an automobile. To a motorcyclist, it can be life threatening and devastating.

Allowing this bill would be pioneering safety and benefits to motorcyclists everywhere. Please consider this.

Sincerely,

Your name here

A

Aggietaco

Bump.

I've actually had some correspondence with my rep's "director of constituent services" discussing the topic and he's promised to look into it more and get back with me. Whether that will happen or not, I don't know, but he seems interested.