Oem tail light bulb

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Per a thread that had a regular automotive bulb installed (and shorted out), below is a picture of the OEM, THREE POST BULB.

It is slightly brighter and considerably more durable. IMO, something to consider especially with only one bulb on the rear of the FZ6..

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the motodynamic tail light, so no issues for me.
But wouldn't replacing the Yamaha taillight bulb with an LED equivalent be a better idea? Could be much more durable, longer lasting.
I don't know, maybe there isn't an LED equivalent. Just curious.

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site
The bulb is a standard 1157 heavy-duty. There are any number of LED equivalent bulbs out there, fleaBay is an option. I've been running an LED 1157 for some time, much brighter, seems impervious to vibration and should outlast me

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually, I run both the Yamaha bulb and a Hyper light running/flashing brake light on the rear.

So should one fail, the other is still working..

The Op from the other thread I mentioned put in just a two post, standard bulb,. IMO, not the best for the application..

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know if any standard heavy duty 1157 lamp has the same physical design as the OEM lamp. It has a pretty sturdy design to keep the filament from long excursion developed from vibration.
If you opt to replace the OEM with and LED one major drawback is finding an equivalent LED that uses the stock reflector as well as having a resistor that runs the LED at the running light voltage and shows good differential brightness when the brake voltage is applied.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know if any standard heavy duty 1157 lamp has the same physical design as the OEM lamp. It has a pretty sturdy design to keep the filament from long excursion developed from vibration.
If you opt to replace the OEM with and LED one major drawback is finding an equivalent LED that uses the stock reflector as well as having a resistor that runs the LED at the running light voltage and shows good differential brightness when the brake voltage is applied.

I totally agree with Cliff on this one, finding a LED lamp that will reflect effectively in the Tail lamp housing is next to impossible. I tried a few and even modded a few lamps with extra reflective bits to try and get the light to bounce around in the taillight.LED aftermarket lamp replacements seem to be pretty unidirectional. Its damn hard to design something that will fit through the hole. Anyway long story short-bought a LED tail light and run the hyperlites-all good

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just to add, I did find a non Yamaha set of HD bulbs, 3 posts. (Took a bit of searching and I only found one seller). It didn't show if it was larger (probably not) but it was about $20.00 a PAIR!!!!!!

On Partzilla, an OEM bulb is just over $2.00, dealership, about $4.00 each.

You''ll pay close to that if not more at an auto parts store for a two post bulb..

And they are brighter than a standard 1157.

I had a bulb (two on the rear) go out on my FJR and it was quite noticeable the brightness between the two (that's why I have a spare)

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree, one of my concerns was to achieve enough differential brightness between the taillight and brake light to make it noticeable. I experimented with a couple, this one has worked really well for me and is noticeably brighter for both functions.

1157 BAY15D 5050 16SMD RED LED PROJECTOR CREE HIGH BRIGHTNESS X-LAMP BULBS on fleaBay from Speed_Daddy

I too use an additional brake light, the "Stopper" LED brake light bar that I have mounted below my license plate. Not just there in case one fails, more so to just help to be seen when braking. Far too many soccer moms in SUVs around here, had some close calls from behind before I mounted this. None since (so far)

Debated getting the Hyperlites, May still do that, front and rear.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I too use an additional brake light, the "Stopper" LED brake light bar that I have mounted below my license plate. Not just there in case one fails, more so to just help to be seen when braking. Far too many soccer moms in SUVs around here, had some close calls from behind before I mounted this.

Debated getting the Hyperlites, May still do that, front and rear.

Agreed, not only to be seen better braking but running too (twice as much light in the rear).

Many won't upgrade/modify the rear light but at least be aware that the stock YAMAHA bulb is BETTER than an automotive, regular bulb.'

Just to add, the Hyper light running light, is definitely brighter than the OEM and with it set to flash, really can't be missed...

My Hyper light is just above the tag;