odometer question

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
I have noticed most new bikes have what appears to be electronic speedo and odometer.
Question: can these new electronic odometers be tampered with "as in ran backwards like the old flex cable type"?.
Need quick answer please.

The reason i`m asking is when looking at some used bikes, the odometer reading appears too low for the model year.

Last edited:

Adirondack Jack

Don't call me " Jun ior&a
Reaction score
Visit site
Software and hardware exists that allows someone to tamper with digital speedometers. In the case of a dealer it's to correct glitches after power problems, crashes, etc. In other cases can used by less than proper individuals to rollback the numbers to raise the price!
I strongly suggest you inspect the bike thoroughly to back up/dismiss the mileage on odometer. Is there wear on the frame parts, paint, rubber, seat, etc. that suggest there are more miles than are showing, or is the bike in mint showroom condition?
I would err on the side of "If it sounds too good to be true...it usually is." Good luck!

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
Software and hardware exists that allows someone to tamper with digital speedometers. In the case of a dealer it's to correct glitches after power problems, crashes, etc. In other cases can used by less than proper individuals to rollback the numbers to raise the price!
I strongly suggest you inspect the bike thoroughly to back up/dismiss the mileage on odometer. Is there wear on the frame parts, paint, rubber, seat, etc. that suggest there are more miles than are showing, or is the bike in mint showroom condition?
I would err on the side of "If it sounds too good to be true...it usually is." Good luck!

Thanks a bunch. ice

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
They call it 'Mileage correction' over here :rolleyes:
They used to do it on cars before we got a computerized mot system to knock down the mileages.So it's a case of service book checks with the garage that carried them out,as you don't have mot's.It's also used to re light the service lights on BMW's etc.