Engine Differences on FZ6S

GeorgeD

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys, new user here.

Well, I have a problem, and I hope this is the place to find the answer.

My 2006 FZ6S suffered a rod failure back in 2012, which according to most people I have talked to is almost impossible, especially at 35K miles, but I somehow managed it. It's been parked since then. Still in good shape, though I would change the tires just to be safe when I fix it. My financial situation recently improved to the point I am ready to get a replacement motor for mine. My problem is I bought it in Virginia, US, and I brought it along with the rest of my stuff to Greece.

Now in Europe they use different model dates, so my 2006 model could be considered a 2005 here based on date of manufacture. And the bike was changed in 2007 in the US. There are some different numbers I have seen for horsepower as well, 78 and 92 and 98 horsepower. I am guessing this is due to different ways of measuring or electronic controls, and the engine block remains the same throughout. Then there is the color. My engine was black, but most (not all) FZ6 bikes here have a silver engine.

So, my question is this: Will my bike take any engine made for the FZ6, keeping my intakes, exhaust, electronics, sensors, wires etc, and work the same, regardless of year and color, or is there an actual difference between the 08E 07E and 14E engines? Could I just pick one and stick it on, even if it is a different "type" or doesn't really matter? I see a lot of 14E and 07E engines for sale, but very few 08E with the resulting difference in prices based on availability. They all look the same, but I am guessing there must be some difference, or Yamaha would just keep the same part number.

Ordering from the US is not an option, since I get quoted $2000 for shipping, plus paperwork would be a nightmare. Blah

Thanks, any suggestions welcome.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As noted, in 2007, the engines went Black in color. I believe they did do some changes in throttle response but that's in the ECU.

The 78 HP engines (see below pic) vs 98 HP is easily seen on the "port" end of the throttle assembly shaft. (where the throttle cables attach). (All US engines are 98 HP).

IMO, sticking with the "silver engine", 2006 or older, (2007 and 2008 US versions would be fine too) with the correct throttle stop it's would be what I was looking for.

And just to clarify, (from reading here, oversea's), often, WHEN THE BIKE IS SOLD, that's considered the year bike.
IE, even thou it sat on the showroom floor for 4 years it's NOW considered a 2010 even thou it was manufactured in 2006 (like yours)

Last edited: