Odd noise and check engine light... what could it be?

Dave in Houston

Reaction score
Visit site
The bike is a 2006 with about 8200 miles. I've owned it for 1,000 miles or so.

I rode home from work 50 miles. While jockeying the bike into position in the garage, when I cranked the bars all the way to the right, the check engine light came on and an odd noise was emitted. Sounded like a bearing noise to me, I don't think it was the fan.

When I released the bars just slightly, the noise immediately stopped. I double checked, and it was definitely the check engine light not the oil pressure light.

I tried to duplicate the symptoms with the bike on the side stand and center stand so my ear could be closer to the sound, but I could not replicate the problem if I was off the bike, though it happened 4 or 5 times when I was on the bike.

I let the bike cool off a bit and checked the oil, it is full. After the bike is cool, I can no longer duplicate the symptom.

Any ideas on what this could be? I don't want to risk expensive repairs, but if I can't duplicate the symptom, all I know is to keep riding the bike.

Please send FZ6 wisdom ASAP!

Thanks,

Dave

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Check the wires running into the frame on the right side. My bike did something similar, the starter wire had rubed the frame so much in that spot that i could turn the bars all the way to the right to start the bike. The bare wire was shorting on the frame causing the starter to engage even if the bike was running

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Dave in Houston

Reaction score
Visit site
Check the wires running into the frame on the right side. My bike did something similar, the starter wire had rubed the frame so much in that spot that i could turn the bars all the way to the right to start the bike. The bare wire was shorting on the frame causing the starter to engage even if the bike was running

Thanks... that sounds like a reasonable answer, when I had absolutely no idea!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
First time i herd it on my bike it freaked me out, but the wires on my bike had obviously been rubbing for a while so i was able to.replicate it every time wich made it easy to pin point