Odd high pitched noise.

mrtrees

Just a Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone. So I've been riding naked for a couple months now and have been hearing a really really high pitched noise. Like the kind a really old guy can't hear anymore. Anyways it doesn't seen to be affecting performance in any way but I've never heard it before. It gets higher when I increase throttle and then get drowned out. Can only really hear it at low speeds and at stops. A better description may be that it sounds like when the fuel injection is going but higher pitched and quieter.

Like I said haven't noticed a change in performance really but I don't like it. Maybe it's just a new noise that has appeared since all the plastic is gone now. I don't know. If anyone knows something or thinks I should just relax about it let me know. Thanks all!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone. So I've been riding naked for a couple months now and have been hearing a really really high pitched noise. Like the kind a really old guy can't hear anymore. Anyways it doesn't seen to be affecting performance in any way but I've never heard it before. It gets higher when I increase throttle and then get drowned out. Can only really hear it at low speeds and at stops. A better description may be that it sounds like when the fuel injection is going but higher pitched and quieter.

Like I said haven't noticed a change in performance really but I don't like it. Maybe it's just a new noise that has appeared since all the plastic is gone now. I don't know. If anyone knows something or thinks I should just relax about it let me know. Thanks all!
Have you adjusted your chain recently? When the chain is slightly over tight is makes a high pitched whirring noise.
In the past other riders have reported noises coming from the clutch leaver vibrating.

Good luck

Nelly

hoston1765

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you adjusted your chain recently? When the chain is slightly over tight is makes a high pitched whirring noise.

Agree 100%. Last week had a problem getting my chain tension just right and the noise when too tight was a high pitched whirring, almost a howl at times. After two failed attempts I made a 50 mm jig that helps to check and adjust it.

mrtrees

Just a Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In the past other riders have reported noises coming from the clutch leaver vibrating.

Good luck

Nelly

No I haven't done anything with my chain for a while. I don't believe it's from the clutch either. Weirdness,

Nick J

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe wind noise now that the fairing is gone. If you don't have a helmet law, try riding it with and without your helmet and see if that matters.

mrtrees

Just a Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think I explained this correctly. Let's say I'm in my parking lot and I start the bike. She's in neutral and not moving at all. I can here the noise at this point. Now I rev it a little and the noise gets louder until the engine drowns it out. I'm almost positive it's not wind or the chain as the bike isn't moving at all and I can hear it.

It sound electrical but I'm not sure it's barely there but it's def there. I do not have HID's or any other crazy electrical mod. Only a naked headlight which was properly wired and secured to near professional grade. I don't know maybe it's nothing but it's bugging the hell out of me.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think I explained this correctly. Let's say I'm in my parking lot and I start the bike. She's in neutral and not moving at all. I can here the noise at this point. Now I rev it a little and the noise gets louder until the engine drowns it out. I'm almost positive it's not wind or the chain as the bike isn't moving at all and I can hear it.

It sound electrical but I'm not sure it's barely there but it's def there. I do not have HID's or any other crazy electrical mod. Only a naked headlight which was properly wired and secured to near professional grade. I don't know maybe it's nothing but it's bugging the hell out of me.
On a large number of bikes the injectors make a hi pitched tapping, whirring, ticking noise.
My bike does it. I have had a Yamaha tech go over it, as I was convinced I had been sold a bike with a dodgy cam. The noise actually started at about 6,000 miles.
There are loads of threads here about engine noise. I think the general consensus is that the motor is bullet proof all be it a bit agricultural.
If you are that worried about it get a Yammie tech to go over it. I don't mean some spotty yoke with a certificate. The guy who looked at my bike came from Yamaha UK not the dealership.

Good luck Nelly

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
is it similar to the sound of the fuel pump when you turn the key...maybe your just noticing it more now that you know the sound is there? only thing i could think of.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with everything that everyone here has said but there may be one other thing to consider: Does it spot the ground whenever you park it? Be sure there are no coolant leaks on the ground near the vacinity of the weephole. Probably not, but on many cars before they fail the water pumps will make a dull, high-pitched "whistle" that is directly proportional to the engine revs. Just a thought....