Noticing a trend in FZ6 Horsepower Obsession

What will provide the best real world performance for the FZ?

• Leave it alone, she's fine the way she is.

Votes: 225 49.9%
  • Exhaust, air filter, airbox mods that get us 5-10 hp increase ($200 per 1 hp increase).

Votes: 78 17.3%
  • Engine Swap with R6 for a 35 hp increase ($64 per 1 hp increase).

Votes: 23 5.1%
  • Suspension, everybody knows suspension is where it's at for real world performance increase.

Votes: 125 27.7%

• Total voters

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Just curious if anybody has reprogrammed there ECU?
I have been looking into ECU programming and it seems a little bit interesting. The local dealer here in Sweden told me that this was better to do instead of powercommander. Program the ECU should give more. The only thing is that this cost about 600$....:(

Interesting. Is there an ECU Flash for the FZ6?

Cribbe

Performance by Cribbe
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.cribbe.com
Yes, Google ECUnleashed.
I had my FZ1 reflashed, its a new bike.
Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

Nice to hear that i did so much to the bike. Do you remeber how much you paid for it? It is so expensive in Sweden so I was thinking of sending the unit to USA and let them do the upgrade. Hopefully the package will not be cought in the customs on the way back? But do they need the hole bike for the reprograming or just the unit?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The US retail price is $449.

Give AF1 Racing a call, they ship international all the time.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

jtarkany - if you can pull this one off in your shop and get it right . . . well that'd be God Status I think! :rockon: Still impressed with all of your Can Do, Will Do My Own Mods! :thumbup:

Perhaps the best we could hope for would be group buy??? Maybe 4 to 6 ship to a common place and ship that to a shop??? $250, I'd give it some thought but 450, I'll live with the throttle chop (which I dislike). . .

OK - back to the thread. . .

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
jtarkany - if you can pull this one off in your shop and get it right . . . well that'd be God Status I think! :rockon: Still impressed with all of your Can Do, Will Do My Own Mods! :thumbup:

Perhaps the best we could hope for would be group buy??? Maybe 4 to 6 ship to a common place and ship that to a shop??? $250, I'd give it some thought but 450, I'll live with the throttle chop (which I dislike). . .

OK - back to the thread. . .

It's funny but with the bike, I have kept all of my mods focused on the looks, suspension and braking. Haven't even tried to mess with the engine, aside from the airbox debacle :rolleyes:

On the other hand, with my little 2002 Audi TT 225, I have done just the opposite, all engine mods, no looks, suspension or braking :confused:. Currently at 180 whp (roughly 270 hp at the crank) and 220 ft-lb wtq (roughly 275 ft-lb at the crank), the quattro eats alot of hp and tq through the driveline.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Guys, for some reason I can't find the R6 Cams thread. So here should be the second best place to post my results. A little while ago I did a FZ6 cams swap on my 6R and mess with my PCV and Auto tune got get the map about right so I can tune the cams a bit. So I took the best map I end up with yesterday and give it a good run on the dyno. Out the box I had 74/42 with A/F ratio crazy lean on top. (FKN Autotune) So the Dynojet tech give me a tune. End up with 78/43 with the engine soaking heat at 210F. The tech told me that usually an average bike get +5 if he let it sit there to cool down for a bit. So that might put me in the 81-82, give and take. He also told me tht his dyno read a bit low compare to other dyno in the area.

So now the bike run great! I massage few area of the map under 15% throttle and the pressure map (PLX Map sensor installed) just for driveability.

I liked to thanks (cant remember who) about the FZ6/R6 cams swap idea.

78HP @ 10 200 / 43 ft.lb @ 8500 (32-35 ft-lb from 4K to 7K) (75HP from 9600 to 11 200)

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
That's great man!!!! I think I read somewhere the stock it makes about 64hp so that's some HUGE gains you got going on!!!

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
That's great man!!!! I think I read somewhere the stock it makes about 64hp so that's some HUGE gains you got going on!!!

68 to 70 bone stock, same torque. What amaze me the most is the way it comes... all flat. I can shift at 11 200 and between 75-78 Hp through all gears. Having good torque right at 4K all the way to 8500 is great for normal riding. The tech took my bike for a ride "to make sure" everything was right. He was amaze how nice the mid range was and still have a good zip on top. For a 600 of course. Happy with the mods overall. :rockon:

Phil_RC_1

07-FZ6, 09-FZ1, 06-R*
Reaction score
Visit site
Amazing how this thread has transformed from the original post and it's intent. To me it says YES, people are generally concerned about making their FZ6 perform as well as possible, and that there are driveability improvements to be had compared to Bone-Stock.

The fact is, The FZ6 is the most powerful "Standard" in the 600-750 class. It's a shame Yamaha replaced it, but then they did have to make two bikes (FZ6R, FZ8) to fully replace it.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
In my opinion. Im not trying to make my bike a R6. I just want it to get it faster, if I had an R6, I would try to make it as fast as a R1, if i had an R1 I would try to make it as fast as a Busa. Its just a hobby. I was never one to keep a car, truck, motorcycle, or even bicycle stock for long. It adds your own personality to it. Be that looks, comfort or speed. Even if i had a Ducati Desmosedici I would still try to upgrade it. Thats half the fun :thumbup:

A quote from a friend that applies to bikes as well.

"People don't want to drive fast cars. They want to drive faster cars."

Doesn't matter what it is, as long as its better/customized/faster than stock.

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
Amazing how this thread has transformed from the original post and it's intent. To me it says YES, people are generally concerned about making their FZ6 perform as well as possible, and that there are driveability improvements to be had compared to Bone-Stock.

The fact is, The FZ6 is the most powerful "Standard" in the 600-750 class. It's a shame Yamaha replaced it, but then they did have to make two bikes (FZ6R, FZ8) to fully replace it.

How is it most powerfull - street triple has more power and it is 675.

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
Is it considered a standard?

Looks standard to me :)
08_Triumph_StreetTriple-132.jpg

Upright, naked - checked

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
They actually class the triple as a middle weight naked, so as he said the fz6 was and still is the most powerful in its class

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
They actually class the triple as a middle weight naked, so as he said the fz6 was and still is the most powerful in its class

It is still standard bike. Yamaha XJR1300 is standard bike as well. And R1200R is standard.
He specified the displacement and striple fits right in it.