Not sure what exhaust to get.

Johhnnyyh

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently just bought myself a 2005 Yamaha fz6 as my first bike and this is my first time using the forum. I'm wondering what exhaust I should get? I live in CA and I heard it's hard to get around with a really loud exhaust because bikers get pulled over a lot due to their aftermarket exhausts, is that true? I want a nice, clean, and loud exhaust. I want a loud exhaust cause I want cars around me to know I'm there so I don't get hit by them. Any recommendations would be grateful.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I run open Scorps and really like them. Their not not bad at low RPM's and get louder with RPM's. Above say 8K RPM's, they scream.

Its VERY rare I use my Stebel horn as the exhaust does indeed let others know your nearby. Someone stopped at green light, say texting (and not moving), I can give a rev myself being 2-3 cars back and get them moving...

They never need re-packing and have a limited lifetime warranty.

Here's a low rpm audio/video (in the garage) for a voltage check, but thier open in the video, not too loud at low RPM's;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127092600@N08/

Last edited:

Johhnnyyh

Reaction score
Visit site
I did actually have my eye on scorpion. I was really debating on two brothers, yoshimura, Leo Vince, or scorpion. I couldn't find yoshimura for my fz6 so that is out of my options. What does repackaging mean? I'm still pretty new with motorcycle stuff, and if I were to buy the scorpion exhaust thru eBay or Amazon, is it still lifetime warranty or do I need to buy it off a certain website?

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have Akrapovics on mine without the dB killers, I fitted them when the bike was about 3 months old so they have been on the bike for 11 years, no repacking, great sound but here the cops have other things on their mind other than noise....

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I did actually have my eye on scorpion. I was really debating on two brothers, yoshimura, Leo Vince, or scorpion. I couldn't find yoshimura for my fz6 so that is out of my options. What does repackaging mean? I'm still pretty new with motorcycle stuff, and if I were to buy the scorpion exhaust thru eBay or Amazon, is it still lifetime warranty or do I need to buy it off a certain website?

This should help; YAMAHA - 600 Fazer/ FZ6 - 04-06

I bought mine thru my local, private owned MC shop and never had to make a claim .

Looking on their site today, I don't see any mention of warranty.

The only failed can I've seen was on this forum. I don't remember the brand but I think they we're carbon fiber and the seam let loose. If you do a search, you may find it...

Last edited:

Johhnnyyh

Reaction score
Visit site
Damn, yea I'm probably going to get the scorpions then. I'm not really a fan of the looks of the akrapovics, and it also sounds really loud haha. I think scorpion would be ideal for me.

Johhnnyyh

Reaction score
Visit site
The looks of the two brothers that has the yellow outline is also on my mind too. I heard two brothers is really loud though. Is it louder than scorpion? Not sure if I want crazy loud though.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The looks of the two brothers that has the yellow outline is also on my mind too. I heard two brothers is really loud though. Is it louder than scorpion? Not sure if I want crazy loud though.

Noise wise,

I have all the Cats in mine and stock windshield.

Now I just installed a Zumo 590 GPS with built in stereo (downloaded albums).

It plugs (hardwired) to my 3/4 Shoei helmet (with face shield and speakers).

I can hear the music (thru my helmet speakers up to about 65MPH (top gear). After that, the exhaust drowns out the stereo..

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site

I also have Scorpions and they are pretty loud. It's a nice tone, but they are loud. I've never heard them side by side anything else, and online comparisons are pretty worthless unless a db meter is being used. I think the db killers are included with the pipes everywhere but the US. They're another $80+ or so and have to be ordered from Europe.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I also have Scorpions and they are pretty loud. It's a nice tone, but they are loud. I've never heard them side by side anything else, and online comparisons are pretty worthless unless a db meter is being used. I think the db killers are included with the pipes everywhere but the US. They're another $80+ or so and have to be ordered from Europe.

+1 ^^. I didn't get the DB killers with mine and ordered them separately. With that said, I put them in, it sounded stock again...:(

They didn't make it to the end of the driveway before they got yanked..

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW, the louder cans won't make much difference in cars seeing you. Lady about ran me over yesterday. She didn't hear my Nautilus horn, so I doubt super-noisy cans would matter. Ended up riding the line between lanes, between 2 SUVs. Then I remembered that the safest place to be around cars is to have them about 500 meters in the rearview.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll disagree there. While loud pipes don't prevent people from ignoring you, in my experience they do reduce the number of people who drive as if you aren't there. You should still ride as if you're silent and invisible, but it's nice not having to use an escape plan as often.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll disagree there. While loud pipes don't prevent people from ignoring you, in my experience they do reduce the number of people who drive as if you aren't there. You should still ride as if you're silent and invisible, but it's nice not having to use an escape plan as often.

Absolutely ^^^^^

Unless their radio is set super high, most cages hear me as I'm either stopped several cars behind, or coming up on the side of them..

Pedestrians, bicycles literally turn around approx 100' as I'm coming up on them (and that's at less than 4,000 RPM's, 30 MPH)..

Johhnnyyh

Reaction score
Visit site
I do feel that it helps reduce the chances of getting hit. Especially in California. I definitely notice bikes that are around me when I drive a car.
I think I've made my decision on getting scorpions. Thanks guys!

vr46fan

Reaction score
www.facebook.com
FWIW, 58 cycle has the stainless cans on sale for 550. I got my regular vendor to price match them and I have a set on the way.

vr46fan

Reaction score
www.facebook.com
My exhaust shipped, but I'm a bit worried. Their site said it fits 04-09 bikes. The part number on their site is for an 04-06, mine is an 07. Do these kits come with pipes to fit both, or am I screwed?

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't want to waste a new thread, but.
3 ways to increase the sound on FZ6:

1. Airbox mod (no performance updgrade, AB-mod and YT)

2. Muffler mod (may gain HP, but no/negligible difference in weight loss. Either gut the cat or drill holes in the stock cans;
Another useful link: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/39069-heavily-modded-stock-exhaust.html (and the video from this link makes me feel like doing it)
gutting might need PCM (Power Commander) for fuel mix ratio

3. Slip-ons, might need remapping for electronics (gains HP, shreds lot of weight).

Please correct me if I'm wrong.