NorCal/SoCal ride 2011

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
OK, I just got back from a ride to Idyllwild, about 135 miles, and I got
50.14mpg, keep in mind that I already had 70 miles on that tank full and I usually have the RPM's over 8k when in the mountains cause I like the sound the bike makes:BLAA:
So maybe there is hope for me after all:thumbup::D

Jerry

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I also did a ride today out through the mountains on the route I took Wavex and Cali rider on last month with a fresh tank of gas. The first half I was pretty smooth on the throttle but the second half the hooligan in my came out and I kept it in the upper part of the rpm range. 46.7 mpg.....:spank: :D

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
I also did a ride today out through the mountains on the route I took Wavex and Cali rider on last month with a fresh tank of gas. The first half I was pretty smooth on the throttle but the second half the hooligan in my came out and I kept it in the upper part of the rpm range. 46.7 mpg.....:spank: :D

I know what your saying, it was all I could do to keep the revs down, the sound of that inline 4 singing its tune is just about to much to resist:BLAA:

Jerry

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll buy lunch to whoever buys me dinner :D

So......If we all chip in and buy you dinner......Now wait a minute! :confused:

500full-curly-howard.jpg

Last edited:

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Last edit:June 13, 2011 2130 PDT

Ok, I thought about this with a bit of creativity in making the ride more practical. I realized that if we run the route in the opposite direction it will allow flexibility at the end of the day to keep adding mileage if time permits. Any group ride, from 2 to 50 bikes, will only go as quick as the pace of the slowest rider. I don't mean any disrespect to anyone as I want all that have to committed to this to show up. It just means that time will need to be allowed to bunch up the group at specific meeting points, to get in pictures and meals, fuel stops, etc. So, as of now I am going to plan that we will do the same mileage in this revised Google map link:

The Big Loop- counterclockwise

This map shows these important stops: A is the breakfast location in Anaheim for those of us starting from my house. The restaurant is Mimi's Cafe 1240 North Euclid Street Anaheim, CA 92801 We will need to be there at 0700 to beat the Saturday morning rush AND get on the road by 0830.
From here we will head east to meet those who are in the Riverside/San Bernardino area. That brings us to point B, which is a Circle K convenience store in beautiful Mentone. Please be there, with full fuel tanks ready to ride at 0930. After a quick headcount and pre-ride chat we will continue to follow the map.
Our next scheduled stop will be point F, a group of gas stations just about 100 miles from our previous stop. Everyone should top off here. We will then ride another 20 minutes or so until we get in to Wrightwood. The plan is to stop at point G, the Grizzly Café for our lunch. This is a nice place with good sandwiches and friendly service, and the parking is easy.
Ok, with everyone refreshed the famous Angeles Crest Highway will be our next test. When we travel through to Upper Big Tujunga Road we will decide whether to continue on the original route or an alternate, this is up to the group based on time left in the day and other factors. I have 2 other paths that will shave between 30-50 miles off our day, IF NEEDED! No matter what, we will finish up going through some wonderful twisting roads before returning to the freeway system for the rides back to our respective homes for the day. If we continue on the original path, our next stop for fuel and rest will be a point J, a Shell gas station in Santa Clarita. From there we will finish up going through Little Tujunga Canyon and out to the freeway.

Now, in the interest of safety, there are some items I want us all to acknowledge and agree on:
- Everyone on this ride should carry some piece of luggage to hold a minimum 2 bottles of water/sport drink. Fanny pack, backpack, tank bag, etc. We will be in both desert terrain and high altitude for several sections of this route, and mid-July in SoCal can mean 100°F for 6 hours at a time. I know that some riders will be able to carry more than other and there might be a temptation to store stuff for your buddy. However, events might dictate that your drinks on someone else’s bike no longer become available (you all should know what I mean here…) and it is imperative to take care of yourself if others are not around.

- NOBODY is expected to ride at a pace that they don’t feel comfortable at. There will not be any peer pressure at all from the core group of riders, and there will always be a sweeper/tailing rider that will keep an eye on those who wish to ride at a relaxed pace. We will stay at or near the speed limits for almost the entire trip with no dangerous maneuvers. Passing protocol will be discussed in detail with everyone when we all meet in Mentone. We will do an accurate head count when we start the ride and refer to it at several points to make sure nobody gets separated.

- A few rapid-fire items…Check your bike a few days before the ride to verify all the usual maintenance factors, in particular tire pressure/condition, chain condition and brake effectiveness…..Get a good nights sleep on Friday evening so you are alert and happy…Wear your best riding gear as these roads have a lot of potential hazards…Make sure you have emergency contact information, insurance cards and any other relevant data in your wallet in case it’s needed…

The fuel challenge: If anyone wants to do this it is really simple. We will max-fill our tank(s) at the same fuel stop, zero our trip meters and ride to the next stop, minimum of 100 miles. Put fuel in together, check trip meters to verify distance and see who is the most conservative. The only disclaimer: you must be riding a motorcycle with at least a 600CC motor. If anybody shows up with a Ninja 250, Burgman scooter, etc. I think it’s not going to be a fair competition. Beat my MPG and I’ll buy your lunch, no limit! If I beat yours, just admit defeat in front of the rest of the group and we are all good!
Can’t think of anything else right now. If something needs to be added or edited I will do so on this specific post and change the date listed above. Comments/etc just post them here.

Last edited:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Your on, I'm sure there is a McDonalds in Buena Park:thumbup::D

Jerry
Isn't there a decent roadkill cafe in the area? I recommend the combo plates because you have variety. And while restaurants such as Subway claim to have fresh ingredients, a good roadkill cafe trumps them in this department. Some of them have pretty good hush puppies, mouth-watering gato, and, of course, hot dogs.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
lol Stacy!

John, you packed in some of the best roads in SoCal and you want us to watch our throttle the whole day? Biggest. paradox. ever. :spank:

REDHAWK22

aka willie
Reaction score
Visit site
hey Tailgate, are you really from Sac? How often do you cross the Vallejo area? 'hope I get a chance to meet you and the rest who are active here. Newbie rider here, so that's an advance notice to you, lol.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Shameless 4 week until epic ride bump. :BLAA:

Friday night dinner in Buena Park - Hof's Hut Restaurant
Lefty (John)
Chemiker (Travis)
Tailgate (Stacy)
DefyInertia (Nate)
Cali Rider (John)
Marke14 (Mark) Hopefully - Marks 1st drink is on Lefty

Saturday breakfast at Mimi's 1240 North Euclid Street Anaheim
Lefty (John)
Chemiker (Travis)
DefyInertia ( Nate)
Taligate (Stacy)
pkoosa (Patrick)

Saturday Ride
NorCal
Lefty (John)
Chemiker (Travis)
Tailgate (Stacy)
DefyInertia (Nate)

SoCal
Cali rider (John)
Jblk9695(Jerry)
pkoosa (Patrick)
racebrooks (Randy)
Motogiro (Cliff)
t1j2f3 (Todd)
Goop (Bryan)
Wavex (David)

Nevada & Others
VEGASRIDER (Kenny)

Woo hoo! 10 months down, 1 month to go! :rockon:

Last edited:

pkoosa

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in for breakfast at Mimi's :D

Friday night dinner in Fullerton
Lefty (John)
Chemiker (Travis)
Tailgate (Stacy)
DefyInertia (Nate)
Cali Rider (John)

Saturday breakfast at Mimi's
Lefty (John)
Chemiker (Travis)
DefyInertia ( Nate)
Taligate (Stacy)
pkoosa (Patrick)

NorCal
Lefty (John)
Chemiker (Travis)
Tailgate (Stacy)
DefyInertia (Nate)

SoCal
Cali rider (John)
Jblk9695(Jerry)
pkoosa (Patrick)
racebrooks (Randy)
Motogiro (Cliff)
t1j2f3 (Todd)
Goop (Bryan)
Wavex (David)

Nevada & Others
VEGASRIDER (Kenny)

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am officially out for this ride unfortunately. I was taken out by an unknown assh*le last Friday at a trackday at Willow Springs and have a broken collarbone. :(

Be safe guys and have fun.