noob stuff (q&a)

Targa222

Bike nooob
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok so I posted my info in the new members welcome thread (page 86 if anybody makes it that far anymore)
I currently ride a 09 KLR650. which is my starter bike as I just started rideing about a month ago now.(plastic body just incase I drop it)
BUT my step dad said once I get some quality rideing expierience in and a couple bucks in my wallet he will let me use the KLR as a trade in for a brand new bike.
so I searched around for bikes that struck my fancy and it was eather between the FZ6 or a honda 919. I ended up setting my sights on the Fz6 and now I got a lottt of questions to ask but more will come in due time..

My stepdad dosent like to buy anything used so im going to be getting an new 09 Fz6 and I was wondering how many parts will be compatible with the 09 since its still kinda eirly in the new year. So far the websites ive been to all say things like 04-08 but not to 09. When I get the bike im not planning on modding to much but i wanna get a good grasp on how much to save up for when the time comes that I do.

Ive been lerking around the forum for about a week now and i assume everybody is going to tell me to get frame sliders and gear first. which is no problem for the gear, got it all all ready.But as far as the frame sliders are the 08 ones ok?or is there website i dont know about that offer 09 ones aswell.

again i am a complete nooooob to bikes, but I wanna do most my mods myself with the help of my step dad who has been on bikes for 25+ years.

also. ive been reading other threads about where people buy there mods from and most the sites ive knowticed are from the UK or other places not in america.so my question is are there any GOOD websites based out of the USA.(trying to suppost amercan companied because of the economy...)
and if you could please post your favorite ones where you do most of your shopping at thad be great. but f not ill still take your favorite ones from anywhere.

also if you would gimme your 2 cents as to what companies/brands you like the most because at the moment i have no opinion as to which is better.
(ex. leo vinces or scorpians)
thats all for now. just need to get a good grasp around the bike and the whole new world of modding.

sideshow_downs

Finally Summer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum and good choice on the fz6.

All parts are compatable from 04-09 nothing major has changed other than colors.

Good luck with the bike and keep us updated with what youre doing.

Rob2222

Reaction score
www.rob2222.de
Well, there are mainly "four" FZ6 Models. The FZ6 (naked) and the FZ6 Fazer (with fairing). And 2007 came out a little better variant, the S2 model. Which is just called 07 model in the USA.
Just try to google and you will find enough information. Yamaha FZ6 Fazer S2.
Some parts between non-S2 and S2 are not compatible. F.e. windscreens.

BR Robert

PS: Aaah and well ... the blue ones are faster... :cheer::D:cheer:

FZyLarry

No power slides for me
Reaction score
Visit site
First of course :welcome:

Not sure if you're interested, but you could probably find some new '08 around if you can travel to a few different dealers.

just my 2¢

W

wrightme43

Welcome man.

Its a good bike, and easy to care for. I cant say its a great learner bike, but alot of people have learned on them.

There is no fz6 specific website with parts for sale, just gotta hunt around. The reason for the amount of euro links is the bike is more popular there, and they have a more active mod community. The US is most profitable for harley parts sales so thats the pie that gets sliced up here.

Targa222

Bike nooob
Reaction score
Visit site
Could you guys list off some of the sites you use for me,
So far i only know about powerbronze.

And so for the most part i can put on just anout any part from any year?

rdoucet

Ghost Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have used the following websites in the past with success - bikebandit, motorcycle superstore & j&p cycles; other websites outside the U.S. are great as well like topsaddelry.

I would also recommend a good shop manual for whatever year bike you purchase and read through it; makes for boring reading but informs you of the mechanics of the bike and what basic maintenance you can perform on your own without going to the shop (oil changes, tire pressure, torque values, ect..)

Finally, if you do purchase a brand new bike, be carefull the first 100 miles or so - the tires will be slick and you have a greater chance of dropping the bike due to the slickness of the new tires.

Good luck and ride safe!!

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
Parts question is pretty easy. Since you are looking at the 09, anything 07 or 08 will be the exact same (minus colour). Previous to that, the bike has some slight differences, so always check. If it says compatible for 08, your fine.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Everything from the 07 and 08 years (in the US) fits the 09. They're exactly the same bike.

Most parts from 04-06 fit the 07+, but check first. As others have mentioned, there are differences in the windscreen, fairing, swingarm, and brakes between the 04-06 version and 07+ version. Mounting racks for hard cases (at least side cases) also differ between 04-06 and 07+ model years.

I like TwistedThrottle.com as a source for FZ6 goodies. Usually a search on here related to whatever you're interested in buying will turn up a list of suppliers.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
welcome :welcome:

belly pan.. you can pick one up at the dealer and you can find the one you need on the yamaha website.. belly pan really finish's off the look... lsl makes nice frame sliders, but so does motovation, and they are all functional in the end...

a new seat might be what you want to invest some $$ in.. depends if you liek the one you get.. but if you go on any longer rides, you'll want a corbin or top sadlery... other than that, the mods section has a ton of good info and good people that can help you find just about any mod for your new bike!!! :thumbup:

Shafe716

Reaction score
Visit site
I cant say its a great learner bike, but alot of people have learned on them.

+1 on this. I learned on it, but if you already have a bike that you plan to ride after you work the noobness (is that a word?) out, I would suggest going with a 250 ninja or hyosung. You'll save a ton of cash up front and they hold their value a little better. Also the clutch on the FZ6 is kind of a pain in the:spank: for the first 800 miles or so.

that said, FZ6 rocks and if you plan on keeping it for a while I can't see a better bike to buy. I get compliments all the time on it. There are really too many sites to list but a few I use are:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com
http://www.indysuperbikes.com
http://www.motosport.com
http://www.bikebandit.com/
http://www.kneedraggers.com/
http://www.newenough.com/

and many more!

kellybt1052

Reaction score
Visit site
You will certainly enjoy the FZ6 it is remarkably versatile with lots of potential to grow into what it is capable of. I have purchased from, Kneedraggers, Motovation for frame sliders :rockon:, PJ's parts is simply outstanding customer service and nice bits for the FZ6 as well and finally HyperPro and RaceTech for suspension mods. Good luck and ride safe!!

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
twistedthrottle.com is very good. yamaha.com has catalogues and very usefull diagrams that you can access if you register with them.

mib7289

Reaction score
Visit site
PS: Aaah and well ... the blue ones are faster... :cheer::D:cheer:

I just want to put my two cents in that it is a well known fact the black ones have 5 more hp and are just slightly faster but i can see how'd you make that mistake no hard feelings