None of my lights work. :(

namruso

Reaction score
Visit site
Some bozo decided to try to hot wire my faster red 06, and they cut the left assembly wires.

Just replaced the assembly, but no lights (including my brake lights) work. Any thoughts to what the culprit might be?

Thanks in advance.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Some bozo decided to try to hot wire my faster red 06, and they cut the left assembly wires.

Just replaced the assembly, but no lights (including my brake lights) work. Any thoughts to what the culprit might be?

Thanks in advance.

my only initial thoughts are that fuses have been blown during the cutting process. That might be a starting point but I figure that was your first thought too

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This one is going to take a methodical approach. Yes, start with the fuses for sure, but then you're gonna want to check the harness for damage. I'm trying to think of a single point of failure for every light - and I'm coming up empty. After the main fuse there are circuits (each with their own fuses) for headlights, turn signals, stop lights, ignition, fuel injection, and cooling fan. The probability that you ONLY fried the lighting circuits is low. I'd use a multi-meter and check for continuity between known paths, and unlikely paths (cross talk). This entire harness is connectorized, so check continuity at the connectors.

Be sure to use the FSM schematic.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is one fuse that supplies the running lights and the flasher circuits. The headlights do not come on unless the engine has started so if you turn the key on you won't see heads lights. Does the bike run? With the engine running you should see your headlights.

The tail light is powered by 2 separate fused circuits.
Your tail lamp bulb has 2 filaments. One for the running light and one for the brake light.
The brake light works off the same circuit as the horn does. It's a separate fuse from the running light/flasher fuse. Turn the key on and see if the horn honks. If the horn honks and you have no brake light the brake light filament may be out, If you replace the tail lamp use the Yamaha OEM light because it is brighter and has an added physical bridge to help prevent breakage of the filament due to vibration. In a pinch you can use a heavy duty 1157 lamp from any auto parts store but it will probably fail quickly because of vibration.
Let us know what you find. :)

Last edited: