Noisy Gearbox saga!!!

Drummer_J

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, brand new to the world of Fazers and loving it!!
I bought my 2009 Fz6 in early Feburary (brand new from the shop) and ever since I've had it the gearbox has been really "clunky". I know that brand new bikes will have a really tight gearbox (hence the first 1000Km 'run in period'), and that they initially tend to make a bit of noise from 1st to 2nd. I originally thought that this was ok and never took the rpm over 6K or forced any gear changes. Then the problem started..

Close to my first 1000km service the gearbox started to make noise in almost all of the gear changes (even when I tried holding the clutch in for a fraction longer before shifting and experimenting with clutch adjustments before making sure it set the clutch back to where it was). So I decided to take it in for the first service at around 920km. I mentioned that the gearbox was a little noisy and was told that they would have a look at it.
After picking up the bike after the service, the gear shifts appeared to be smoother for the first 100km then the noise's came back, and with a vengence! Instead of just clunking into almost every gear, the gearbox started to grind into gears as well. I took it back 3 days later (not riding it in that time, afraid of doing some damage and due to work) and left it there overnight.
That night I was talking to a friend that has been riding bikes for years and he mentioned that it could have been the wrong grade of oil put into the bike. Surely this wouldn't happen from a service (Please let me know if this has happened to you or anyone that you know!)?

After picking it up the next day, I was told that they couldn't find anything wrong with it and that, if anything, it was probably just me not used to such a new bike so nothing had been done. But as soon as I got onto the bike, I knew that something was different. I took off and the gear changes were smooth, and I mean really smooth!
I bit my tongue and took their word that nothing had been done and thought it was the end to that chapter of issues. But it wasn't.

About a week ago I was wanting to merge into highway traffic so I gave the bike plenty of rev's and let the clutch out a little quicker than usual, when I was confronted by a shrieking sound from the bike (it sounded like a car doing a burnout but was coming from somewhere just under the seat). I pulled over immediately and inspected the bike. I couldn't find anything wrong so went on my way taking it easy.
I did a few tests trying to find out if the bike makes the shreiking noise under certain conditions and have found that it makes the noise when over 7k rpm and letting out the clutch from stand still. I have also noticed a slight drop in performance in the bike :(.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is if anyone has any ideas as to what this issue may be before I take it back into the shop? It has currently got just over 2500km it is only being ridden to work and back (due to not having a car)(otherwise I wouldn't be riding it at all!!). I'll be taking it back into the shop as soon as I can get a day off.

Cheers for taking the time to read this and hope you can help!

P.s Also, what sort of distance should I be getting roughly in non congested city riding (im always going against the traffic) from a full tank riding at (on average) 4500rpm? Does 200km sound about right or does it sound like its chewing through fuel? Sorry, I was used to riding a 250 and getting 330km off a tank.

the gear boxes on these bikes are clunky for sure. My neighbors with closed windows can hear my shift from 1st to second!:) I dont know how to diagnose your other problems though. Have you checked. Chain tension and lube? Oil level? Clutch?. Dealers scare me.

I would check that cluch freeplay is correct, too little and you'll be constantly slipping the cutch which will cause it to overheat, too little and they might not open up enough to fully release which will make the shifting more difficult. Also, it is possible you have a sticky or slipping clutch or an issue with one of the clutch plates/friction material. What oil did they use at the service? The clutch is a multiplate design, warping, broken springs, or toasted friction material will cause issues. The normal gearbox "noise" is really just a bit of clunk from 1-2, however the shifts should always be very "positive". There is some technique involved but I have found the gearbox to be pretty user-friendly.

Last edited:
The FZ6 gearbox is very thocky, particulary when it comes to second gear from either direction. Try to shift with the engine speed between the gear you're leaving, and the gear you're headed into. This in my experience minimizes the "thock" on the gear engagement dogs. And YES, the clutch sounds like a tire peeling out when you release it with gobs of torque. When launching near the 10k torque peak playing with fast 0-60MPH runs (no, I don't do it all the time), I routinely hear this. I seem to get 46MPG (5.1L/100kM) no matter what I do.. it's weird. :)

Some of the second generation FJR's came from the factory with sticky clutch plates resulting in very notchy shifting, lurching when going into first gear, etc. It was found and documented some sort of assembly goo from the factory was keeping the plates sticking.

The fix was to remove the friction plates and soak them in oil overnight and re-assemble. Once completed, the bikes shifted MUCH BETTER and stopped any lurching difficult shifting... On the FZ, you wouldn't even have to change the oil, pull the clutch cover and plates. I'd put a new side gasket on it..

FJRForum (Powered by Invision Power Board) You can do a search and read the symptoms/results.

Some of the second generation FJR's came from the factory with sticky clutch plates resulting in very notchy shifting, lurching when going into first gear, etc. It was found and documented some sort of assembly goo from the factory was keeping the plates sticking.

The fix was to remove the friction plates and soak them in oil overnight and re-assemble. Once completed, the bikes shifted MUCH BETTER and stopped any lurching difficult shifting... On the FZ, you wouldn't even have to change the oil, pull the clutch cover and plates. I'd put a new side gasket on it..

FJRForum (Powered by Invision Power Board) You can do a search and read the symptoms/results.

So has anyone here tried this solution yet? I have the same clunky gearbox feeling. My 07' Kawasaki Ninja 250 shifted much nicer than the FZ6 and it was a POS.

Nothing wrong with your gear box. They are a bit agricultural. Slipping the clutch at high revs makes it squeal and shriek. I did this a few times when I was getting used to the engine. It doesn't like being slipped at high revs. Otherwise my friend you have purchased a bullet proof motor that will have you grinning your socks off.

Nelly

I've owned lots of bikes over the years and I would never call the FZ6 gearbox 'clunky'. It's actually one of the better Yamaha boxes I've had. I believe people's issues with it have to do with the narrow clutch engagement and peaky engine of the FZ6 .... it takes a good set of hands to smoothly control the clutch and throttle. This control comes with experience, just keep riding and honing your skills. The FZ6 is often touted as a beginner's bike, it really isn't.

Mine now has 1700 miles on it and the shifts have always sounded clunky - the shifting is crisp and precise though.
After my second oil change I went with pure synthetic (Mobil 1 Motorcycle Oil) and it helped the shifting tremendously, (though the sounds of shifting are still clunky).
At the risk of sounding like I am insulting you, (I am not), could the sounds from your clutch be operator error? This is a very powerful engine and high revs are just not needed to get underway. Good luck.

Back