No low end torque

Grodd70

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all:thumbup:

I am fairly new to this form. I've only put about 300 miles on my new (07) FZ6. I would like for the more experienced riders out there to give me their opinion of the "lack of mid range torque" I keep reading about on line about the FZ6, especially when compared to "twins".

My experience has been the total opposite. I was looking for another new bike and going from the last one (2011) Ninja 650 I had my heart set on a naked SV650. I started on a Ducati Monster 695 with lowered front sprocket and bigger rear...no problems with low end torque. The Ninja was a parallel twin so torque was a little longer up the tac but not much compared to the V or L twin. . I've ridden a friends half naked SV and it was torquey and maybe its me, but I don't feel the FZ lacks low end torque at all.

I almost decided against the FZ from all the internet comments, I thought I would have to get off and push the thing to 7000rpm before it would even go......BS its got plenty of low end torque and the difference I found with the in line four it just keeps coming like there is no end in sight.

So maybe I'm off, but I think the FZ is getting a bad rap....so with riders out there who actually own one what's your thoughts?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
For a 600cc 4cyl bike the fz has lots of tq, hop on a true SS 600cc bike and you'll see why most people assume the fz has no balls down low.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
I also came from a Ninja 650 (2009) before picking up my 2008 FZ6. It's true that the torque curve of the twin was flatter with power coming on sooner, but like you said, the FZ6 isn't a slug even in the lower range. It's still a 600cc bike which always seems to have enough tug to get out of its own way.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Let's just say, with proper clutch control, the torque curve is irrelevant. I beat a ZX-14 to about 200' at the drag strip with a near redline launch.

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 has torque down low... just not near as much as the SV or duc would. It's an I-4, so it's really hard to make it have that much low end torque as the cylinders are what, 150cc (ish) each? Compared to the 325cc cylinders in the SV650 for example.

That being said, yamaha has done amazing things with the FZ6. Honestly, if money were no option, I don't think I'd ever sell it! It's a great little 'everything' bike.

But I do miss the v-twin grunt of my sv650. :\

Ahh well, I'll upgrade to the d675 and call it good eventually ;)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ IS my favorite bike.

That includes Harleys, a Goldwing and my old FJR.

As noted above its a great mid sized bike, handles great, decent low end power, very good high RPM power (especially with aftermarket exhaust-open of course). I normally shift at 3-4K RPM unless flogging it, heck second gear will do 90MPH.

Don't think I'd do any long distance freeway rides on it, but other folks tour with it...

Last edited:

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Even my over weight girl has a great mid range right from 4K. I haven't ride much twins but if I need to get going faster I downshift! LOL

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
The FZ6 is fine down low but it's lack of low end is noticeable if you find yourself chugging along in like 5th then nail the throttle. Of course anyone that has spent any time on the 6 will quickly drop a gear or two before hitting the throttle. I do find it hard to believe that it's outrunning ZX-14's... unless the ZX rider is sleeping.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've drag raced my friends old BMW years ago (about a 2008 model) K1200S uphill (a bridge) from a red light (no cars up ahead or side streets of course) when I still had the stock exhaust on. He got the first 10' on me until the FZ wound up, we were still 10' apart until we slowed, about 100 MPH. I suspect with the Scorps, I likely would have closed the gap a bit.

Folks think its only 98 HP but they forget, this bike is quite a bit lighter than a 1200 or 1300cc bike so the HP to weight ratio, is pretty good, thus performance, is right up there...

This is the first bike I've put on (and left) an aftermarket exhaust. With the bike tuned right, synced, etc, I love the way the engine sounds, even hard short bursts of acceleration (to say 7K RPM's) sound awesome and the bike does indeed pull pretty hard for 600cc. Not a torque monster, but fun. Runs to 13K RPM are rare as your in triple digits pretty quick after second gear..

As a side note, I've never (knock on wood) been stopped on this bike (even with the open Scorps) as I generally know where the police park for speeders. I keep closer to the speed limit as well. I've been stopped more times on my old KLR 250 as it was so quiet and super flickable.

Just one other thing to point out, the fastest, most fun street bike (uncomfortable as heck) was a Suzuki B-King 1300 (had a hyabusa motor geared down). I was very, very tempted to buy one (IMO, ugly too) but it was so friggin quick, I know I would either have lost my drivers licence or more likely, been killed as it was way too easy to get into trouble. I COULDN'T ever get to WOT in first gear as the G-force would literally pull your hands off the hand grips..

Last edited:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I know the FZ6 has a great top end and is fairly light but a ZX 14 is crazy fast. It makes almost 60hp just off idle. Cycle World did 9.47 @ 152mph stock. Way more then I will ever need.

Kawasaki-Ninja-ZX-14R-Dyno-Chart.jpg

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
If you want to smooth out your lower rev's hook up a Morgan Carbtune and do a throttle body sync.

I just did this to my 2009 Fz1 and it is even stronger/faster in the lower RPMs

Like the Fz6 the lower half of the torque curve isn't quite as strong as the upper half, but still a lot of fun.

fzsixx

Reaction score
Visit site
If your looking for a little more torque check out my thread "Did some work"... I cut out the funnel in my air box to let my bike breathe a little better and with a OEM filter I felt some very noticable gains in the 1000-8000 rpm range and it sounded meaner. After I ripped her around for a bit I put a K&N air filter on her and im way happy with it... :BLAA: -Matt

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I know the FZ6 has a great top end and is fairly light but a ZX 14 is crazy fast. It makes almost 60hp just off idle. Cycle World did 9.47 @ 152mph stock. Way more then I will ever need.

Kawasaki-Ninja-ZX-14R-Dyno-Chart.jpg

I'm 54 years old and I wouldn't last a week on that bike without getting killed (that's if I could lean down enough to ride it). Super fun, but obnoxiously dangerous, at least for me... The B-King didn't have near the HP the ZX does but was an upright riding position which I prefer. I didn't trust myself with that bike either.

The FZ is fast enough to have fun but not stupid fast that my right wrist and throttle will get myself killed.

"A man's got to know his limits....."

And as for a TB sync, the Morgan Carbtune is a great tool (IMO an investment) which any multi cylinder bike would benefit from. As a side, also check the sync at about 4,000 RPM's too and adjust accordingly. It makes a big difference in both performance and vibration..

Last edited:

tdbill

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll be the odd ball here, and say i'd trade some low end for more topend on my fz (maybe i should pickup some r6 cams...). The fz has more low end than any other 600 inline four i've owned.

Its about the tradeoff, if you want something that doesn't need to be revved as much- get a twin and have less topend, or go up in displacement and deal with the extra weight and added gyroscopic effect in corners...

As previously mentioned, i'll stick with downshifting!