No helmet lock???

• Thread starter Deleted member 2349
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2349

OK I need some ideas...How to secure my helmet and jacket when its not convenient to carry them along.

I was thinking about a cable lock and running it through the bars down a sleeve and through the visor area. any other thoughts??

AJ_rider

Published FIZZER
Reaction score
Visit site
The helmet locks weren't added until the 07 re-design...unfortunately. Search the threads though, I remember seeing some simple mods people made to counter act the lack of helmet lock.

slammer111

Reaction score
Visit site
Haven't had a chance to see a 07+ FZ6. Can the 07+ OEM helmet lock be added to a 04-06? I'm assuming the frame with the passenger footpeg can be unbolted and switched..

Troubl

On the Group W bench
Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking about a cable lock and running it through the bars down a sleeve and through the visor area. any other thoughts??

That's exactly what I do. When my wife and I go for a ride, I'll take two cable locks.

One cable lock is for the helmets. I have the helmets on the seat, run it through the face of the helmets and down through the frame.

The second is for our jackets. I have one jacket sleeve pushed into the sleeve of the other jacket, put the jackets on the tank, run the cable through that sleeve and then through the handlebars.

sideslider

Reaction score
Visit site
OK I need some ideas...How to secure my helmet and jacket when its not convenient to carry them along.

I am going to buy a helmet lock from cyclegear this weekend... i think they are 5 or 10 dollars.

that cable idea seems good though, thanks

kemmer

Reaction score
Visit site
This is how I do it:

One end of cable lock loops around the center of the handlebars and through itself. I slip the end through the jacket sleeve around the the chin of the helmet and locked the end of the cable to itself. Jacket sit on bars/tank and helmet on one of the mirrors. This is for quick stops.

For more extended periods of time, I do the same thing but bungee the jacket to he back of the seat, strap the helmet to the passenger grab rails and secure the cable to the grab rails. Everything looks more secure this way.

People will mess with your stuff if it looks like it might be easy to take, and they could end up doing damage trying to defeat your system or just out of spite so the second way is much better.

The cable and padlock fit it my jacket pocket or the under seat storage area.

Last edited:

ender

ohfive
Reaction score
Visit site
For 04-06 FZ6 motorcycles without a helmet lock, a Black Diamond "D" carabiner (for rock climbing) is easy to fit in the trunk and once you put it through the helmet's D-rings, clip it over the top frame rail (between the tank and seat mount bolt (swing the latch straight down)) and re-install the seat, it is impossible to remove! The helmet hangs down the side of the bike and I leave my gloves, sunglasses and do-rag inside. Cost - about $6.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For 04-06 FZ6 motorcycles without a helmet lock, a Black Diamond "D" carabiner (for rock climbing) is easy to fit in the trunk and once you put it through the helmet's D-rings, clip it over the top frame rail (between the tank and seat mount bolt (swing the latch straight down)) and re-install the seat, it is impossible to remove! The helmet hangs down the side of the bike and I leave my gloves, sunglasses and do-rag inside. Cost - about $6.

That's a GREAT idea! Even those with the '07+ can do this for a two up ride for the second helmet! :thumbup:

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm somewhere in between the cable and the d-ring idea in that I installed a hook for the cable ends under my seat. I loop the cable through the chin-bar of my helmet, ends on the hook under the seat and re-install the seat. With more than one helmet the cable can go through the straps instead of the bar.

Couple of pics of the setup.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just thought of another idea. A cable with loops on both ends, just long enough to go through the helmet and wrap around the seat, now apply a lock and put the seat back on. The lock will not allow the cable to be pulled out from under the seat in either direction. Or, put a carabiner under there as mentioned before and but loops in the "D" !

sideslider

Reaction score
Visit site

but how do you lock a carabiner, that would be good for as a holder but not a lock.

paul1149

Riding with the King
Reaction score
Visit site
The double-looped cable does work well. I made one up to my own specs and used to use it on the helmet lock on the baby ninja, with the helmet up on the passenger seat. With the FZ, though, on the rare times that I do lock the helmet it's up on the handlebar, with the cable going through the bar mount. It also pays to pack a longer such cable, and you can use it to lock a jacket to the bars. Actually, I carry a 10 footer, to lock the bike itself to something solid.

B

bluenova

I would never leave my helmet on my bike. I see poeple doing it all the time round here, but what if the helmet takes a knock, you would never know that the helmet would no longer provide optimal protection in a collision.