Philthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, new to this forum so not exactly sure where to write this but here goes.

I purchased a 2008 fz6 that wasn't running been in a crash basically front of bike is gone. I got it for the reason of putting motor in a go kart as bike is a write off but motor still ok.

Now I've got the immobiloser emulator and that's on. As I know the ecu is coded to the key but all I can get the bike to do is turn over there is no spark doesn't seem that the fuel pump primes up although when the ignition wires are connected the big relay at the rear of the bike seems to click.

Any help would be appreciated just a bit stuck at the moment
Cheers

Philthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Nah it doesn't prime up at all, and no spark
Tilt sensor seems to be in good condition also.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Spark is created by the coils primary winding, ground lead, being modulated by the ECU. As well the fuel pump will not be energized and the starter will not operate. Before this can happen the, "Starter cutout relay" must be operational and have the correct logic. This starter cutout must have a neutral light signal, a clutch lever signal and side stand signal so the ECU will allow normal start up. If you're getting starter only by pushing the starter button, it could be the, "Lean Angle sensor" is damaged or is not reset. The ECU will not allow the fuel or spark if the lean angle sensor does tell the ECU the bike is upright.

Last edited:

Philthy

Reaction score
Visit site
So if if it was the neutral or stand sensor it wouldn't turn over?
It turns over just pushing the starter button I'll have to look at the lean angle sensor again it was upright and not damaged how do you reset it or test it?

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
So if if it was the neutral or stand sensor it wouldn't turn over?
It turns over just pushing the starter button I'll have to look at the lean angle sensor again it was upright and not damaged how do you reset it or test it?

From personal experience :spank: , the clutch safety switch and side stand switch will completely cut ignition and the motor will NOT turn over. I had this issue when I first got my bike. I left the side stand down, and was confused why it wouldn't turn over. So if it's turning over, then you're over halfway there.

I would be looking to the ignition and fuel systems at this point.

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you are able get the starter to turn over the motor, this indicates that the ECU is giving the all clear to go. However, your fuel pump should be powered up. If you don’t hear it priming when first turning on the ignition, check that there is power present at the fuel pump, if not, check the fuel injection fuse, the incoming power to the starting circuit cut-off relay is operating on the red wire, then the outgoing power to the pump on red/blue. If power is present at all these points, check the pump connections including the ground. If still no joy, try externally powering the pump to see if it even works, otherwise bad pump?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you are able get the starter to turn over the motor, this indicates that the ECU is giving the all clear to go. However, your fuel pump should be powered up. If you don’t hear it priming when first turning on the ignition, check that there is power present at the fuel pump, if not, check the fuel injection fuse, the incoming power to the starting circuit cut-off relay is operating on the red wire, then the outgoing power to the pump on red/blue. If power is present at all these points, check the pump connections including the ground. If still no joy, try externally powering the pump to see if it even works, otherwise bad pump?

Also make sure the kill switch is enabled. If the kill switch is not passing current the coils will have no voltage to the primary windings.

If you test the fuel pump make sure it is disconnected from the bike. In other words just run 12 volts to the connector of the pump. The same fuse that bd43 is talking about also supplies the fuel injectors and I would check that fuse he has suggested first. :)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'msure someone mentioned this, but the small 10amp igniton fuse also powers the gauge cluster. Does the tach sweep to 14K when the key is first turned on? As stated this fuse feeds the run switch --> if working --> ignition coils. It may be in the run position and not make contact internally. Any chance this machine was left outside for while?

What do you have for test equipment? A meter, test lamp, maybe both?

Philthy

Reaction score
Visit site
No dash, no key. No ignition to put key in. That's why I have immobiloser emulator
Basically just a motor with electrics and frame around it when I bought it.
Kill switch definitely on. Didn't think it would turn over if that didn't work?
I don't think there is power going to the fuel pump. I did test that

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Well you've got your next step then. Get that bad boy powered up and pumping fuel. From what I've read and seen about these motors, they are damn near bullet proof. It should run likea top with just a little work.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well you've got your next step then. Get that bad boy powered up and pumping fuel. From what I've read and seen about these motors, they are damn near bullet proof. It should run likea top with just a little work.

True that the FZ6 has an awesome motor but the ECU/ECM controls the signals to the coils and the fuel injectors. This means that if it's a logic problem the ECU can not be bypassed to make the bike run. The ECU also gets it's cue for coils and injectors off the Crankshaft Position Sensor(CPS) Since there is no instrument cluster we won't see error codes which might be helpful in diagnosis. Since that doesn't exist it might be another area of inspection. The left case on the engine houses the CPS. Is that case damaged? I will send the OP some addition information/aids in the event they don't have..... :)

Philthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I'll have a look sometime next week at all the things everyone has said and see what I come up with.
Cheers :D

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
True that the FZ6 has an awesome motor but the ECU/ECM controls the signals to the coils and the fuel injectors. This means that if it's a logic problem the ECU can not be bypassed to make the bike run. The ECU also gets it's cue for coils and injectors off the Crankshaft Position Sensor(CPS) Since there is no instrument cluster we won't see error codes which might be helpful in diagnosis. Since that doesn't exist it might be another area of inspection. The left case on the engine houses the CPS. Is that case damaged? I will send the OP some addition information/aids in the event they don't have..... :)

The MIL/CEL is just a LED. We could get him the gauge pin outs and if no codes are present the indicator will be off. The signal comes from the ECU into the gauge harness.

Do you plan to obtain a gauge cluster?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The MIL/CEL is just a LED. We could get him the gauge pin outs and if no codes are present the indicator will be off. The signal comes from the ECU into the gauge harness.

Do you plan to obtain a gauge cluster?

That CEL is driven off the instrument cluster IC which get's it's telemetry from the ECM so it's not just a straight shot but an instrument cluster would be optimal. :) It would only need B+, ground and the data line to see the CEL or an error code for diagnostics. Hmmmmm.... :)

Philthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd like to get an instrument cluster just have to find one. But in the meantime just gonna try my luck. And it's not damaged on that part of the case.
If the immobiliser emulator isn't working would the bike still turn over or would that stop it?

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd like to get an instrument cluster just have to find one. But in the meantime just gonna try my luck. And it's not damaged on that part of the case.
If the immobiliser emulator isn't working would the bike still turn over or would that stop it?

I don't have experience or a schematic of the bike with immobilizer but maybe one of the members in other lands with immobilizer experience can jump in with some tech knowledge?:bow: Or PM me with some other tech info? :)

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That CEL is driven off the instrument cluster IC which get's it's telemetry from the ECM so it's not just a straight shot but an instrument cluster would be optimal. :) It would only need B+, ground and the data line to see the CEL or an error code for diagnostics. Hmmmmm.... :)

Yep, made me look and sure enough I was in error. Looks like 6 of the 10 LEDs are direct the other 4 are not. Although 2 are back light. It was a thought! ;)

But ya, if the over the pond schemo just happened to float my way, I'd like to see it! :thumbup: