Night gear poll

What do you do to increase night visibility

• I don't ride at night

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I wear reflective gear (please post to specify)

Votes: 17 27.0%
  • I have extra lights (please post to specify)

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • I do nothing different from daytime riding

Votes: 40 63.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe this was done before, but I couldn't find it.

What kinda precautions do you take when riding at night? It's multiple choice to cover people who wear both reflective gear and have extra lights.

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I should have answered that I don't do anything different to the day. My gear has reflective piping on it. I do have a yellow bib but only wear it in poor weather.

Nelly

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
construction style traffic vest. bright orange with big reflective X on front and back

also i have aftermarket HID bulbs and when i feel the need to make my presence a bit more emphasized i hit the highbeams and it EXPLODES into peoples rearviews and sideviews. they are so bright its illegal. i usually leave it turned on until i pass the cager who by this point is slowing down and pulling to the side slightly to let me pass. also i honk once or two short burts to let them know im passing. or i flash highbeams as im passing. cant miss it. its like a spotlight.

also flash my HID highbeam to left turners who seem like they might think about turning left when they shouldnt

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I always wear my gear which also includes reflective material. This incudes my pants, jacket and on a certain pair of gloves. I also have 3M reflective tape on the back of my helmet, and reflective tape on both sides of my front forks. I have added additional lighting ( Hyper Lites )that doubles as flashing brake lights and tail lights, that are much brighter than the stock tail and brake light. See link below. As far as the night.... I love the night, especially when there is not a full moon.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/product-reviews/4679-hyper-lites.html

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

All my gear except leathers have reflectives on it. I have two retroreflective stickers on my pass. foot pegs.
Other than that I just ride.
I do have the PIAA head light bulb and that makes a big difference in the distance I can see ahead of me.

Numpty

Reaction score
Visit site
I also do nothing different as i to have reflective piping on my gear but better visibilty for myself and on comming traffic i have done Biker Dudes headlight mod. :thumbup:

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
new-vest.jpg

Think Bike (THINK BIKE!) stock these biker bibs ... highly reflective etc ...

Also ... for the Fazer i put in slightly bigger bulbs in the foglamps on either side of the main beams .... does quite a lot for visibility.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wear a white jacket with reflectiver piping all the time, so no change.

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
new-vest.jpg

Think Bike (THINK BIKE!) stock these biker bibs ... highly reflective etc ...

Nice.
Note that these are the same vest. The one on the right was photographed with a flash.

One question though.... The price is R175. Is that Brazilian Reais? If so that's $110 USD (55 GPB.) Apparently you CAN put a price on safety. Tell me I'm mistaken (which is likely as I'm not versed in international currency.)

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i generally do the same riding day and night, only difference i have on my bike is the HID conversion which makes my headlight much brighter, illuminates more, and more visible to oncoming traffic,

Otherwise the best mod for riding at night is a heightened awareness to what is around you

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
and remembering to pack your clear shield..... damnit! :rant:

I always forget it and my tinted shield is downright dangerous after dark.... So are the bugs. So I end up going between shield up with bugs blinding me to shield down with it blinding me. Back and forth. Not good.

I am trying to design a mount of sorts for my clear shield behind the wind screen. I'll start a thread for it if I'm successful. (Of course, I may be the only with this problem :don'tknow:

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
and remembering to pack your clear shield..... damnit! :rant:

I always forget it and my tinted shield is downright dangerous after dark.... So are the bugs. So I end up going between shield up with bugs blinding me to shield down with it blinding me. Back and forth. Not good.

I am trying to design a mount of sorts for my clear shield behind the wind screen. I'll start a thread for it if I'm successful. (Of course, I may be the only with this problem :don'tknow:

That's 90% of the reason I always carry my backpack. I keep my chain lube, second visor, and an extra layer with me.

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
That's 90% of the reason I always carry my backpack. I keep my chain lube, second visor, and an extra layer with me.

Yeah, good call. I always wear a pack during daylight hours (commuting), but not at night cuz that's generally a pleasure ride. Another good place is a tank bag. even the smallish one I have fits my shield no problem.

Also, I must not lube my chain enough....

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I generally don't really ride at night unless I'm on my way home from a long ride or something. Most of my gear has reflective stuff on it but I also have one of those ICON yellow vests that I like to wear in the rain, dark, or traffic.