TXLARRY

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm new here and would like to say hello to all of you. I was at my local Kawasaki shop and they had a Black 2008 FZ6 with about 6,000 miles on it. It's going for $4,700 US. Is that a good deal? I'm six foot tall and weigh 275LBS. Just sitting on the bike the suspension front and rear felt spongy. So I'm not sure if adjusting the rear shock is all it needs? But I'm sure this could be over come with a after market rear shock and I'm not sure what to do about the front suspension? I don't want to put alot of money into yet. The bike is stock and looks mint. I'm thinking of giving it a test ride tomorrow, after hearing what you all think and then discussing it over with the better half? So please let me know what yoy think? P.S. I just want a bike that I can have a great experiance riding. Thanks to all! :D

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
Chill out man it hasn't even been a full day yet. I didn't even see this thread pop up in New Posts and I check the forums often.

4700 sounds a bit high for a used 08 IMO. Talk them down to at least 4500 if not lower. At 275 lbs you are going to have to do suspension mods to put heavier springs front and rear at the very least. If you don't I'd imagine the bike will probably wallow all over the place while going though corners.

Also check out Two Wheeled Texans they are a Texas based motorcycle forum and you can always find good used deals over there on member's bikes.

I'm down in Saginaw not far from you.

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
Take a deep breathe man! This is the best forum around! Just relax. Your a big guy and a lot of bikes suspensions may need some tweaking. Bring the price down a bit and you can afford any upgrades that you may need to do. The fz6 is an awesome motorcycle and I don't think you'll be disappointed! :thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the forum big guy!. Yes! you will find us very helpful and sorry for the delay. I was out most of the day yesterday and wasn't on the forum so save that can of Texas Whoopass for something else! :rof:

I agree. Dealers always try to get over! Even at that price with the mileage it has and it's an 08, it's still a great bike at that price.
Again welcome! :D

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ is a great bike and I am sure you will love it. Comy to ride, ample power, nice aftermarket, and a slick looking ride. Like others have said, at your weight level, I would say the bike will most definitely require some suspension mods to ride right.

That price does seem a little high. I bought a mint 08 FZ6 last season with 5K miles on it, CF frame sliders, FE kit, travel bag, battery tender, brake lock with alarm, and a set of Sylvannia HyperWhites and I paid $4100. Pretty sure you can get them down.

Good luck, and if you end up buying, enjoy!

William

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome Larry. On the price, most all dealers have an add-on fee that usually runs around $300 and often applies to used bikes as well as their new bikes. It usually doesn’t come up until they hand you a pen to sign the sales order. Point is, their number could be higher than what you’re thinking it is. It’s all negotiation, but I find it best to get that on the table up front.

On the suspension, there are a number websites that provide spring rate calculators to help you figure out what you’re going to need in terms of fork and rear springs…and the cost. I have a tendency to migrate to RaceTech having had a lot of luck working with them over the years, but there are others. Here’s a link to RaceTech’s FZ6 Page. You’ll see the link to the calculator for the FZ6 on this page. A quick web search will turn up others. Good luck! :)

keith w

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. There's a lot of good info here. I just bought my black 08 FZ6 with 14K miles in great condition from an individual for $3,500 in November. Yours would have lower miles and from a dealer I think about $3,900 to $4,000 would be fair. I am 6'3" and 225# and suspension is fine for me. I don't think the suspension would be a problem once you adjust the rear shock, but could be improved with a little $$ if you want to improve handling and drive very spirited in the twisties. FZ6 is great bank for the buck. Good luck.:thumbup:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If that is the OTD price, meaning it includes all fees and sales tax, it's okay. Not great but okay. Anything that they add on top of that $4700 price is not a good deal.

If you are a new rider, and don't know what to look for on a used bike, purchasing from a dealer would be your best bet. Buying a used bike from a private seller can be tricky unless you know what you're looking for.

Weighing 275 and add your gear, you're pushing 280ish. You can adjust the rear suspension, but as others have mentioned, you will have to get your front forks upgraded. Racetech Springs, you can purchase them suited for your weight. I had a private shop install them on my bike, no sense wasting paying the high price labor that dealerships charge.