New to riding, forum

Rushiku

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all.

Finally got a bike yesterday - a new, to me ;) , 05 FZ6.

6400 miles, apparently the bike is from Texas, I'm in Northern Illinois.

I've been reading as much of the forum as times permits, which turned out to be a good thing, as I've already had trouble with stalling (No, really, it's not me)

I checked the TPS diag, which gives 16 fully closed.

The bike idles at about 1200 - 1300 cold, 800 hot. I adjusted the idle last night and took it out today...started stalling after about 10 or so minutes.

My skills are...ahem...poor, so the stalling issue makes tense times (pulling out into traffic with a line of cars behind me) even more tense.

I went home and started adjusting the idle screw some more, odd, I could get the RPMs up, but after a blip or two on the throttle, it would go back down to 800. After a few turns to somewhere around 1600 RPMs, blip, drop back to 800, I returned it back to where I started, figuring that I was barking up the wrong tree.

I noticed a few things today that make me think that the bike's previous owner may have had modded exhaust, if that is true, would he not have tuned for the exhaust? Could that be an issue? Is there a way to reset the computer settings to factory defaults?

On the other hand, is there an adjustment for 'hot idle'?

It does idle a little rough cold to warm, but it runs fine until it warms up 'all the way', then closing the throttle and pulling in the clutch is about the same as hitting the kill switch.

Other than that, I love the bike, plenty of power for me to grow into, nice lines, great color (blue/dark blue), comfy position and a front brake that'll stop a charging rhino.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Welcome to the forum. What type of exhaust does it have? Have you checked the air filter to see what type it is?

I had trouble stalling mine in the beginning, but it was all down to me. :eek:

Mine idles at around 1300 cold and 1150-1200 hot. I also have Scorpion cans and they haven't been a problem, but I don't have any other engine/airbox mods (yet).

Anyway, I'm sure someone else will have better information for you than I do.

How about some pics???

Rushiku

Reaction score
Visit site
Stock exhaust is on, for now. The air filter is visibly dirty, but not so bad that I would expect it to be a problem. As far as type, it's not a K&N, might be a Fram (the filter media is orange)

Pix? Sure, I'll post some :) Didn't think anyone would be interested in seeing a stock bike. :eek:

Rushiku

Reaction score
Visit site
For anyone following my ongoing saga, I called a Yamaha dealer and asked if there were any open services on my VIN - turns out the TPS was never replaced and the Drive Sprocket retaining nut service had not been done either (yikes).

If it's not raining, I'll drop off the bike on Monday.

Rushiku

Reaction score
Visit site
Forgot to update this.

Got the bike back 8 days after dropping it off, took a while for the retaining nut to come in.

The stalling problem was resolved, the bike actually purrs now at idle, instead of the nasty variable idle it had before. It no longer smells like raw gas is coming out of the tailpipe - and - my MPG went from 30 to 50 (one tank for each measurement, not terribly scientific, but it's all I have to work with)

If you don't know _for sure_ that the TPS has been replaced and you have a 2004, a 2005 FZS600T with VIN between 2248 and 4781, or a 2005 FZS600TC with VIN between 303 and 702, call your local Yahama dealer _today_ and have them check your VIN to see if the service has been performed.

Other than not having the bike, it costs you nothing. The dealer wants to do the service because they get paid, Yahama wants you to get the service because it improves their image, you want to get the service because your MPG will go up and your bike will flat out run better.