New to FZ6 from Cruisers

IlliniDrillSgt

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi - I am currently in the process of trading in my 2007 Kawasaki Nomad 1100 for a new 2006 FZ6. My background is having a Ninja 250 about 18 years ago, a Virago 750, a Volusia 800 then the Nomad 1100. My question, coming from line of street bikes / cruisers, what can I expect to have to adjust to and be mindful of in the FZ6?

I'm 43 and spent 20 years in the Army so my wild days are behind me. Like to have fun but don't plan on hammering the bike for speed.

Thanks in advance.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would say *nothing* to begin with :)
If you feel any wrist/back pain, bar replacement will help a great deal.
It's a very comfortable and capable bike out of the box, except for stock bar (many agree, but many also find stock bar perfectly acceptable).

IlliniDrillSgt

Reaction score
Visit site
What is driving the change?

Good posture, supporting yourself with your core, and using your legs/core to keep the weight off your hands should eliminate these issues.

Long story short, I bought the Nomad for my wife and I to take some quick day trips, ride with the Patriot Guard and ride to and from work. My wife has come down with an illness that she is now on blood thinners for life so any kind of motorcycle accident, even minor, could be deadly for her so she no longer rides. So no more daytrips, just mainly town riding.

Since my current bike is big and heavy and made more for the highway than maneuvering in town, I decided I wanted something lighter with a smaller footprint a little sportier and easy to handle. I was steered to the FZ6 and you are still somewhat upright and not laying on the tank. In a nutshell that is the reason.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Long story short, I bought the Nomad for my wife and I to take some quick day trips, ride with the Patriot Guard and ride to and from work. My wife has come down with an illness that she is now on blood thinners for life so any kind of motorcycle accident, even minor, could be deadly for her so she no longer rides. So no more daytrips, just mainly town riding.

Since my current bike is big and heavy and made more for the highway than maneuvering in town, I decided I wanted something lighter with a smaller footprint a little sportier and easy to handle. I was steered to the FZ6 and you are still somewhat upright and not laying on the tank. In a nutshell that is the reason.

Makes perfect sense. I think FZ6 will fit the bill perfectly.

My wife's on thinners too, but hopefully not for life.. it sucks.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What is driving the change?

Good posture, supporting yourself with your core, and using your legs/core to keep the weight off your hands should eliminate these issues.

I think my posture is pretty good. What drove the change was the fact that I was comfortable on every other motorcycle I rode, just not on FZ6. My wrists/back never hurt on other bikes (from full-on sport to cruiser).
I'm not alone on this.. loads of people swap the bars out and all say that it makes the wrist angle infinitely more comfortable.

Certainly doesn't mean that everyone should make this change. I just pointed out what I think is the most common one, in terms of making the bike more comfortable.

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
ATTTENTION!!!! At Ease........:)

you can expect to be comfortable, thrilled with the performance, hassled by strangers
wondering what it is, you can expect to put gas in it, change the oil, do the chain, and
that's about it until you need tires...you will love it...congrats on the retirement

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:IlliniDrillSgt! I have family in that area of the country and know Illini! Hahaha!
My Grampa was stationed near there with the Signal Corp.

Expect less torque at the bottom RPM's but when you get it 8k and above your hitting the play button and it will surprise you.

Pauly_V

Reaction score
Visit site
I had reservations about the FZ, myself. I didn't come from a cruiser, though. I came off a Ducati 748. I must say that, almost 1 year later, I don't regret this little bike one bit. Comfort is almost unparalleled and tree-blurring power is fitted inside that little six-hundy, if you care to reach for it. If not, just roll along around 6k and enjoy the scenery.

I feel kind of weird congratulating you to the world of "real motorcycling", since it comes by way of your wife's condition. That's a bit too bittersweet for my liking. I'm going to go kiss my wife now.

jnappier

Reaction score
Visit site
I picked one up and really enjoy it. I like my cruiser too and my sport tourer.
The FZ6 is light and easy to handle, stable at speed, and a real hoot to wind it up and let it go. You will enjoy it. Good choice.