New to bikes and the FZ6

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Look where you live. I have been to NATO HQ several times. Rented a BMW back in the mid 70's and rode to Italy. Europe is tiny. You have tight roads and too much traffic. I live in the center of America. I can pull out of my driveway and in less then a Km. be on a divided 4 lane highway. Limited access. Get 40Km's out of Memphis and you can sit on the side of that highway and not have an automobile go by for hours during the day.
I can drone along in 6th at 60 MPH, or tuck and run WOT. WOT is fun but I have no reason to do it a lot.
Tennessee is 440 miles long and 130 miles wide. It has a population of around 12 million, which is less then New York City. It is 409 miles from Amsterdam to Berlin, with a LOT more then 12 million peeps living between them. Stop and go traffic kills gas milage. I don't do stop and go traffic. So I can adjust my speed to arrive at a red light after it has turned green. Good milage is built by good riding habits.
I also run 93 octane 'pure' gas. I know the Service manual says we are good up to 10% ethanol but I think she runs better on pure.
Fuelly - Track and Compare your MPG
Lots of peeps get way better then me.
Here is the results for the r;
Yamaha FZ6R Mileage | Fuelly
mid 40's. Join up and get into the details. The 'S' and S2 get better milage. IIRC, the high was in the mid 70's. That could be done with a sprocket teeth change.:rockon:
STILL though, I have very good habits and have atLEAST 70% high mileage and rarely use more than 7K on the highway and I couldn't dream of getting even mid 50s let alone SEVENTY!

Not using a US gallon helps.
AHHHHH, THERE WE GO!
60MPG(UK)=~50MPG(US)
I can sleep now! Blah

2old2ride

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm pretty sure I use US Galons. I use my trip 2 odometer and when I top off ( I seldom let the tank get below half) I divide the milage on the trip 2 by the gallons I just put in. Trip 2 says 130 miles and it takes 2 gals to top off, I divide 130 by 2. That is 65 in America. Probably in Europe too.
Don't they use Liters in Europe?
Mr Townsend, a quick off topic question if you don't mind. I'm replacing the stock springs with .95 springs. My plan was to use the old spacer and keep the OIL at 5wgt for now. I had a serious problem finding a milliliter measuring cup. I have one but it's smallest increment is 2.5
Since I'm changing the Spring rate in an attempt to reduce fork dive under extreme braking and I have no wish to calculate spacer length or play with my hacksaw I thought I would go with 467.5 I think that .0005 milliliters won't be enough to change the geometry. Am I wrong?:spank:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm pretty sure I use US Galons. I use my trip 2 odometer and when I top off ( I seldom let the tank get below half) I divide the milage on the trip 2 by the gallons I just put in. Trip 2 says 130 miles and it takes 2 gals to top off, I divide 130 by 2. That is 65 in America. Probably in Europe too.
Mr Townsend, a quick off topic question if you don't mind. I'm replacing the stock springs with .95 springs. My plan was to use the old spacer and keep the OIL at 5wgt for now. I had a serious problem finding a milliliter measuring cup. I have one but it's smallest increment is 2.5
Since I'm changing the Spring rate in an attempt to reduce fork dive under extreme braking and I have no wish to calculate spacer length or play with my hacksaw I thought I would go with 467.5 I think that .0005 milliliters won't be enough to change the geometry. Am I wrong?:spank:

Let me jump in if i may!

Using the old spacer will not work, as the aftermarket springs and the stock springs are of different length. You will need longer spacers to make up for that.
Regarding the dive, the oil weight will affect it a lot more than the spring rate.
Compression controls the dive, compression is affected by oil weight. Spring rate affects sag, and ride height, and to a small extent dive, but a lot less than oil weight. Personally i think that if you are changing the springs it is a good move to go to 10w oil, it really makes the forks feel a lot better.
Now regarding the cup, i would not bother measuring the oil quantity you add to the forks, but i would measure the air gap. You want the oil level to be at 134mm from the top of the tube, with the fork compressed and no springs or spacers in the forks. Just use a marked screw driver or a tape measure, it's pretty straightforward.

I have done a lot of research and mods to my suspension, there is a lot of good info in those those two threads:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-performance-mods-section/51901-suspension-setup.html

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/53102-final-motorcycle-update.html

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Let me jump in if i may!

Using the old spacer will not work, as the aftermarket springs and the stock springs are of different length. You will need longer spacers to make up for that.
Regarding the dive, the oil weight will affect it a lot more than the spring rate.
Compression controls the dive, compression is affected by oil weight. Spring rate affects sag, and ride height, and to a small extent dive, but a lot less than oil weight. Personally i think that if you are changing the springs it is a good move to go to 10w oil, it really makes the forks feel a lot better.
Now regarding the cup, i would not bother measuring the oil quantity you add to the forks, but i would measure the air gap. You want the oil level to be at 134mm from the top of the tube, with the fork compressed and no springs or spacers in the forks. Just use a marked screw driver or a tape measure, it's pretty straightforward.

I have done a lot of research and mods to my suspension, there is a lot of good info in those those two threads:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-performance-mods-section/51901-suspension-setup.html

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/53102-final-motorcycle-update.html

Glad you did cause I didn't know the answer...

And 2old2ride, please, "Scott", its in my signature. And your NEVER to old to ride!!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:

For correct MPG (US):

Fill up fully and re-set the odometer(a or b, doesn't matter).

Ride x # of miles, the more, the more accurate results.

Now, off to the fuel station and fill up to the same point in the tank.

Take the total miles driven (since the fill up) and divide by how many gallons you just put back in (to fill up again).

That's US, MPG. Your in the US also so what ever #'s you come up with will be per US gallon.

I rarely let my tank get below half as well, but you can get a good idea what the mileage is, even with 2.5 gallons burnt.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On the topic of mpg.... Yes, being in 3rd or 4th 60% of the time would matter.. Take a look here. http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...ead-rpm-gear-sprockets-tire-actual-speed.html
Gears and MPG's

Noodle on this:

At a steady 6000 RPM you get the following speed and in 60 seconds you would travel this many miles. . .

Gear - MPH - Distance
1) _ -27.68 - 0.461
2) _ -40.45 - 0.674
3) _ -50.62 - 0.844
4) _ -59.09 - 0.985
5) _ -66.19 - 1.103
6) _ -72.73 - 1.212

Obviously lingering in those lower gears hurts MPG!

My city ride home gets me high 30's low 40's. Long aggressive rides; 48 to 50 mpg.

Edit: using the stock rear tire profile and gears.

Ps jumping back to FZ1 bars i painted mine black... Well metallic w clear coat...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have yet to see anyone get some earth shattering mpgs from a gear change. It goes back to load. More load decreases the vacuum, the ecm compensates by adding MORE FUEL!

Go watch more videos on vacuum and engines/mpg! Blah

nitroheadz28

Reaction score
Visit site
Ps jumping back to FZ1 bars i painted mine black... Well metallic w clear coat...

I think I might do this- if I'm not pressed for time. Looks like it won't ship out until the 8th so that sucks. I can still ride the bike now but I'm a little uncomfortable with the right side feeling like a clip on now lol.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Now we're on the same page.

BTW, 50MPG-(US) is very, very good.

I'm pretty conservative most of the time, keep the bike in tip top condition and usually see 48 MPG's..(but no highway which may help).
Indeed, and yeah I'm overjoyed when I reach 50 but I usually get around 48 like you said, I should probably run through some basic maintenance checks one of these days. Wish I had that vacuum tube thingamajig to check my throttle body sync.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Indeed, and yeah I'm overjoyed when I reach 50 but I usually get around 48 like you said, I should probably run through some basic maintenance checks one of these days. Wish I had that vacuum tube thingamajig to check my throttle body sync.

www.carbtune.com ???

No liquids to mess with, very accurate, love mine. Paid for itself several times over doing other bikes besdies my own..

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I might do this- if I'm not pressed for time. Looks like it won't ship out until the 8th so that sucks. I can still ride the bike now but I'm a little uncomfortable with the right side feeling like a clip on now lol.

Maybe cancel your order and order from a place that has it in stock!
Now that you have a part number it should be easy to find.

Partshark maybe...

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
:

Litres. Liters is something else.

To put this into perspective, a US gallon is 3.8 litres. An imperial (UK) gallon is 4.5 litres. The first couple of weeks I had the bike I was being exceedingly cautious, rarely taking it over 55mph, and never breaking the 60mph limit on a fairly straight through commute, with no city riding. I achieved 62 mile to the imperial gallon, or roughly 52 mile to the US gallon.

There's no way you're riding in what anyone would call a normal fashion, and getting 65 miles to the US gallon. The only thing I can think of that could be off, is speedo pick up (which runs your oddo) being well out. Either because it's defective, or maybe your gearing isn't stock.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There's no way you're riding in what anyone would call a normal fashion, and getting 65 miles to the US gallon. The only thing I can think of that could be off, is speedo pick up (which runs your oddo) being well out. Either because it's defective, or maybe your gearing isn't stock.

ALOT of drafting and going downhill in neutral!!!

Still in Orlando? Enjoying our hot, sticky weather? :thumbup:

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
ALOT of drafting and going downhill in neutral!!!

Still in Orlando? Enjoying our hot, sticky weather? [emoji106]
Here for another week. Have posted in what's turned into my holiday thread! Lol. Was trying to tag you, but didn't seem to work.

nitroheadz28

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking for mirrors that will work with the FZ1 bar (Never liked the bar ends+ they add extra width when splitting lanes), maybe you guys can help me find a pair? :)

Looking for low profile small-ish ones in black. Something like these: