New tires

adavi491

Reaction score
Visit site
Gents

I just bough a set of Road Pilot 2's. I'm getting them installed tomorrow. Anything i should know about with new tires? I heard that they can be slippery for a few miles. What should i not do with new tires?

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Well just take it easy first couple of hundred miles. Take your turns with caution and don't accelerate too much thru the turns for now. If you want you can go to a nice parking lot and just do circles on the left then right side.
Those are good tires. I was going to get them myself but went with Pirelli Diablo strada's. Good luck with your new tires.

adavi491

Reaction score
Visit site
Is it because there is something on the rubber that makes is slippery? Anyone else have these tires and would like to explain their experience....

The parklot sounds like a good plan for testing purposes...

Also any idea how long these tires will last? I got them because of the dual compound and the fact that I tour more than race. But i still wanted to be able to take the turns.

Thanks for your help so far.

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Is it because there is something on the rubber that makes is slippery? Anyone else have these tires and would like to explain their experience....

As far as I understand it, it's a combination of 2 things:
1. The tire needs to get some road rash on the surface, - the mould they use to make the tire makes the surface to clean.
2. Oil residue in and on the tire, - this is leftover from production, and needs to be driven off before the tire will grip optimal.

I had a pair of PR2's put on last Friday, - took it easy the first 100km/60 miles, - and then slowly started "testing" the limits.
Seems to work OK that way.

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
When you get the new tire's, get them nice and warm on a strait roads first.
This is important to wear them in, after that go do some corners and do them very relaxed, no harsh moves or throttle.
And just build up the lean angle.

How much miles is BS ... just be carefull the first and second (long) ride and build up the "stress" you give the tire's.

S

sm00thpapa

Gents

I just bough a set of Road Pilot 2's. I'm getting them installed tomorrow. Anything i should know about with new tires? I heard that they can be slippery for a few miles. What should i not do with new tires?

Ride moderately on them for 60 miles and make sure they are warmed up for a high speed run after the 60 miles. And that is directly from the Yamaha onwers manual.

kellybt1052

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a set of Road 2ct's on now and love em. Even had em on the track and they did just fine. No need to over think this. Head out to your favorite "backyard" ride at a modest pace and then loop around a parking lot a few times to get used to some higher lean angles (i would guess that would be about 50-70 miles total or so) and you'll be fine. They'll feel different but very nice!!
BTW: I have about 4,000 miles on mine and figure I have about that same number or a little more left. Totally depends on your riding style and roads