new sprocket question

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
i just received my 15 tooth sprocket and while installing it i noticed it was narrower than the stock one, it did fit the chain perfectly, just narrower, is this normal?

86c0ae3d.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would think it should be pretty close to the original dimensions. You also want your sprockets to align.

D

Dave.TX

Stock is the 530 chain. Not being too well versed I'm guessing you might've gotten a sprocket for a 520 chain. 520's are narrower, lighter than the 530's.

nabaah

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah that's the same thing they did to me, when I ordered my 15 tooth. They sent me the jt sprocket in the 520 not the 530. They told me to keep the 520 and they would send me a new 530 worked out pretty good.

WhizzBang

Hot FZ6 Lovin'
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd probably get on to them for a replacement before you ride it around too much. It might feel fine but wouldn't all that extra play in there cause it to slap around and wear prematurely?

Thanks for posting! I'll be sure to check if I ever have to replace mine.

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Yes it would, after market sprockets don't have the rubber mountings in them, which i believe are for noise reduction.

Please please please replace the lockwasher, use locktite on the nut, and make damned sure you tighten the nut bend the washer PROPERLY.

They are known to fall off, and i suspect after market sprockets play a hand.